1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Technical Outerwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, May 23, 2012.

1. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

I got 2 of those as well on the Kickstarter program. They're ok but I prefer the length and fit of the 3-way longs better. Pretty much all I wore last summer, hopefully Outlier drop some better colours in the 3-way longs this season.

EDIT: by "colour" I mean - black, grey, charcoal, olive.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. rockket

rockket Senior member

anyone have experience with rapha jackets?

specifically looking at the softshell and/or transfer jacket. wondering if it's worth the price. certainly seems well made.

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I wish those olivers shorts were shorter.

4. crucialkc

crucialkc Well-Known Member

Sadly, Outlier said they weren't gonna do 3WL's this summer (or possibly ever again?) on twitter. Also google 'outlier discontinued' because they put some shit up at a discount

5. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

No more 3WL's?
    Really? Straight up asshole-ism.

6. habitant

habitant Senior member

I think the moral of the story is: air dry that fucker instead. I have never, ever washed a gore-tex jacket.. I generally wipe them down.

7. habitant

habitant Senior member

8. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Yeah I think you're onto something. My last Gore jacket washed fine, but the insulation zipped out. I think the old sponge bath is the way to go with this one.

9. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

They are, as you wrote, well made. I think Rapha is well worth the price especially if you use the cyclist features.

Any competent tailor, and even a few incompetent ones, could make the shorts shorter in 10 minutes for 10 dollars or less.

The manufacturers recommend regularly washing gore-tex. What guides and washing machines are y'all using?

10. Grove

Grove Senior member

IME Icebreaker stuff can be very fragile. If you don't mind the branding then it's worth checking out Aclima. Quality wise, it's in a different league.

11. Grove

Grove Senior member

Yep, goretex needs to be machine washed in liquid detergent or it won't perform properly. Usually 40 c and then rinsed twice followed by a warm tumble dry to reactivate the DWR.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  12. deadsunrise

deadsunrise Well-Known Member

@grove the branding in Aclima it's a bit retarded. At least the logo and location on the t-shirts.

13. Grove

Grove Senior member

That's why I mentioned it but so far I'm yet to find any other brand that comes close in terms of quality, fit and durability. I do know a couple of folks who have their stuff without any branding but they are both Special Forces and I don't think it's commercially available.

14. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Interesting - I just bought some Aclima to try out,

15. deadsunrise

I just sent them an email asking about the logo. Akatsuki, what did you order and from where? I've seen them on sale here http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/aclima/ but they don't have the lightwool tshirt that I'm interested in trying.

16. abunny

abunny Member

This is p much word for word the goretex recommended SOP. Unwashed goretex will stop beading, and contaminants on the inside will also prevent vapor escaping. Wash your stuff.

17. Grove

Grove Senior member

1 person likes this.
  18. deadsunrise

^ thanks for the heads up, just ordered 3 tees and some boxers. I like that they have a nicer colour palette than other merino shirts. I'm trying to get different merino tees to make a review comparing all of them. I like that finisterre has stopped making them 100% merino and are now 80% merino 20% poliamide. They say that 100% merino is not durable enough and with my experience with icebreaker I tend to agree. Let's see how they perform regarding smells and wearing them for 3-4 days.

Also got a nice camera (canon s120), will post some pics of everything when it arrives.

19. brooks23

brooks23 Senior member

Why does Finisterre ask for your social security number in checkout? [​IMG]

20. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

wow