• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technical Outerwear

scamster

Reaction score
ha, that's one of the reasons why I don't wear mine. would have to try the new field before copping.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im wearing the liner right now. Good slipper to wear at home. However, the design is crap, as I posted in Nike Thread. If you are a patient person who is seldom in a hurry, cop away. They look pretty nice worn too. Its the putting on/off part that makes me want to bomb the Nike building.

scamster

Reaction score
ha yeah just read your post in the nike thread, that 'breaking' noise isn't that the velcro on the heel? they sound snug would you need to size up one?

like to think I'm pretty patient but guessing in certain situations like airport security where you have to take off your footwear I wouldn't be the most popular person and the security would wonder why there are two pairs of boots!

still want them though but its not sold in the uk so been trawling through the net and found a usa site that has them in black but won't ship outside of the boarder :brick:

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not going to keep this going, but regardless of what you think or the link you posted, the Beta is the original climbing jacket which Arcteryx started with. This comes directly from their reps, sales manager and many other Arcteryx employees which I deal with.

Like I said before, calling something a climbing jacket is more marketing BS than anything. The majority of their active jackets can be used for climbing as they have harness compatible pockets and hoods that fit helmets.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are my size all right. Had I gone bigger or smaller they would not have fit at all. Maybe I should invest in one of these:

Badseeds

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beta SL doesn't do the job on rainy days. I have two SL jackets that I like, but it's not for the wet weather.

Once I ended up wet after being caught in the rain for 15-20mins. Another time my phone was damaged by rain in one of its zipped pocket.

Go for the FL or AR if you really want to keep yourself dry in rainy season.

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I've been selling pretty much all my Americana' type clothes. I'm just not built anymore to fit into that **** now that majority of the brands have slimmed down their cuts like crazy. Trying to transition my wardrobe to a more mobility friendly type fit and it's def a new aesthetic for me. Which is fine because I've really only been wearing sweatpants and my patagonia shorts since i've grown out of everything.

Anyways, my first few purchases were two pairs of Outlier Nyco slims and this fluffy ass ISAORA fleece jacket which I like!

They are my size all right. Had I gone bigger or smaller they would not have fit at all. Maybe I should invest in one of these:

That nike boot sounds like the worst. Techwear to me should be easy as hell to get on and easy as hell to get off, that's almost as important as fabric and mobility for me. That's why I'm thinking any chelsea boot is the ultimate boot for this sorta setup.

Last edited:

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know i shouldn't post anything in here related to sales... but I do have some things listed at the moment if you are a large

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am a large, but that stuff is out of my price range! Those pants do look cool though.

barrettdudley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beta SL doesn't do the job on rainy days. I have two SL jackets that I like, but it's not for the wet weather.

Once I ended up wet after being caught in the rain for 15-20mins. Another time my phone was damaged by rain in one of its zipped pocket.

Go for the FL or AR if you really want to keep yourself dry in rainy season.
Yeah, upon further research, I don't think the SL is what I want. As aforementioned, that paclite doesn't actually breathe very well.

I may have to look outside of Arc'teryx now though, because as much as I love the Tecto and Alpha FLs which seem more like what I'm after, neither have hand pockets which I know I would hate.

Getting hand pockets would bump me up to the Beta AR which is $550 for a rain jacket, and if I'm spending that much that I'd just assume get the Veilance one on Mr.P which is $750. Maybe I'll be able to grab that guy on sale or something.

The search continues.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, upon further research, I don't think the SL is what I want.  As aforementioned, that paclite doesn't actually breathe very well.

I may have to look outside of Arc'teryx now though, because as much as I love the Tecto and Alpha FLs which seem more like what I'm after, neither have hand pockets which I know I would hate.

Getting hand pockets would bump me up to the Beta AR which is $550 for a rain jacket, and if I'm spending that much that I'd just assume get the Veilance one on Mr.P which is $750.  Maybe I'll be able to grab that guy on sale or something.

The search continues.

Westcomb is more advanced in fabrics as they are ex-Arcteryx and not bound so tightly with Goretex. But if you can do Veilance, do it.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Westcomb is more advanced in fabrics as they are ex-Arcteryx and not bound so tightly with Goretex. But if you can do Veilance, do it.

Event and NeoShell are't anymore advanced, just different. All membranes have pros and cons and are dependant on the intended use.

NeoShell- Most breathable, not as waterproof as Gore pro shell though (around 33% more breathable old pro shell)
Gore Active shell- Similar to NeoShell but very slightly less breathable (around 30% more breathable old pro shell)
New Gore pro shell- Slight less breathable than Active and NeoShell, but more waterproof than both (28% more breathable old pro shell)
Event- Not as breathable as the new pro shell and not as waterproof as Gore either. More breathable than old pro shell however (somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10%)
Old pro shell- Breathable but less so than anything else above, but very waterproof (more than anything else on this list)
Gore Paclite- Least breathable, least waterproof but still much better than non membrane fabrics IE HyVent etc (somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20% less breathable than old pro shell)

The other big consideration to all of this of course is which outer fabrics these are packaged with. Makes a huge difference to durability and impacts breathability as well.

I hope this helps the folks here with technical outerwear decision making

SuEd

Reaction score
How are you measuring breathability and creating these rankings?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was more thinking about the non-shell fabrics where I think Arcteryx is still lagging. C-change, etc...

chinesealpha

Reaction score
I was more thinking about the non-shell fabrics where I think Arcteryx is still lagging. C-change, etc...

Scholler fabrics are bombproof, and depending on the style, a lot easier to incorporate into a "normal' fit. Unless it's pouring and mad windy, or I need my clothing weight to be minimized for a redpoint FA (this is a joke), I hate wearing crinkly, swishy fabric.

Softshells tick all the right boxes for water resistance (especially if clean, and resprayed every so often), breathability, abrasion / lifestyle resistance, and ninja-like silence. Also, I feel I can bum around town wearing a "technical" softshell from a 'ardcore exxxtreme sportdude company without feeling like a douche. I don't feel that way about any hardshell I've ever tried

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads