1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Technical Outerwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, May 23, 2012.

1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Sweet, thanks for the recommendation! I hope ISAORA large works for me.. I've always liked their stuff.

2. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

So far so good - loving the jacket, may have to get some tailoring done for the sleeves. The LP fabric is nice, but is a bit stiff, probably since it bonded to some waterproof layer underneath.

I still haven't figured out the jacket features fully yet... I can never get the sleeve phone holster to work right.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

If any of you are Nau fans, I just got the F&F info for the season. PM me for it.

NOTE: Due to Nau's recent sale to Korean outdoor brand Black Sheep, this is the last time I will get these F&F codes. So, if there's something you like, this might be the time to swoop it.

2 people like this.
  4. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

^ Thanks... I've bounced back and forth time and time again on their Riding jacket.

5. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Yeah, in all honesty since their main designer left, i've felt the overall vibe of the brand hasn't been as tight. In the past there were always pieces I liked, even if I wasn't buying them. Now, there's only a very things I really like enough to pick up even w/ a 50% discount. Sort of bums me out, since I love the ideas and the people.

(side note: if you like the look of the bags, they are really well designed and made. Sleeper hits for sure. )

6. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

Any comments with their merino + tencel blend? I'm still looking for layers this season...

7. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

I actually don't have any experience with this fabric. Sorry.

My general feeling is their wool and wool blends are pretty well done and perform and hold up well.

8. barrettdudley

barrettdudley Senior member

I'm also looking for a new rain jacket and I also live in a warm climate. Winters are short and mild in central Texas.

I'm thinking about the Beta SL from Arc'Teryx. Looks like it would fit well and go well with casual or technical gear.

My only concern is that some of the reviews say you will end up getting soaked if end up in a torrential downpour. I don't plan on being in the rain for long periods of time, but I would like a $300 shell to also withstand a rainy day at a music festival and keep me dry all the while.

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Jackets&model=Beta-SL-Jacket

[​IMG]

9. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

Didn't see much that would fit me the way I wanted, but I did pick up a bunch of the beanies. $14 a pop kinda hard to go wrong even with a merino/tencel blend which I have no experience with.

10. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

There's no way you should be getting "soaked in a downpour" in a Gore-Tex shell unless it's defective or you're running a marathon in it. Arc'Teryx shells are pretty bomber, and that's a nice piece. The Pac-Lite is the lighter weight Gore fabric, so theoretically would breathe a little better and not be as warm, which is what you're after. I say thumbs up.

11. ebong

ebong Active Member

12. jet

jet Senior member

liking the veilance field jacket, hood looks kinda funny though

may cop on sale

13. habitant

habitant Senior member

you should never wear the hood with the veilance jacket...

1 person likes this.
  14. malcb33

malcb33 Senior member

The Beta is a fairly short model, so if your 6' + try the Alpha instead. Any Gore-tex will keep you dry as long as its clean and looked afterl. Any Gore can wet out if oils and dirt get into the membrane, though you can easily clean it and revive the waterproofing.

Pac-lite is the least breathable Gore-tex due to the PU coated liner. Still very waterproof though.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  15. endless402

endless402 Senior member

I thought alpha was the short model since it is the climbing model so you need easy access to your harness

I have a beta and covers my butt partially and i'm 6'

16. malcb33

malcb33 Senior member

Beta is the shortest and wider, more like a TNF fit.
    Alpha is narrower in the body compared to the Beta and longer with a deep drop tail.
    Theta is the the biggest cut, longest and wide but most people size down in it so it fits slim and long.

Beta is the climbing jacket but its more marketing BS as any of them will work.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  17. endless402

endless402 Senior member

http://arcteryx.com/naming-scheme.aspx?language=EN

2 people like this.
  18. scamster

scamster Senior member

would normally second that but apparently the hood on the new veilance field is much improved. actually debated whether to trade up and cop the new one.

19. scamster

scamster Senior member

has anyone copped the nike lunarterra arktos?

[​IMG]

was wondering what they're like, tts? looking for some winter boots and liking these!

20. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

Still looks like crap when worn imho, I have a big head though so ymmv.