• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technical Jackets

phooi

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Chauncey. Do you have any recommendations of places to shop while I'm in Paris? I'm up for either streetwear or more trad clothing but with the dollar being so weak, I'm not sure what I can afford!

brimley

Reaction score
The NF Apex jackets are really nice, but I wouldn't spend that kind of cash for one. Pretty easy to score at half that in the sale season. Also, the military look is going to be weird with the Apex fabric. I think you'd be better off with a couple of merino baselayers and an umbrella.

bargecharge, that Nau jacket looks pretty sweet. Too bad I've sworn off of technical jackets for the rest of my life.

was ist los?

Reaction score
Really interested in those Nau jackets, anyone seen one in person or know which retailers carry their line?

atroopan

Reaction score
Arcteryx Gamma SV in grizzly brown is by far the best jacket I've owned. Doesn't look outdoorsie, unless you see the big prehistoric birdie on the left chest. Still - it is an amazing cut and guaranteed - you will get compliments on it. The pictures on the net do not do the jacket justice as it has a very athletic cut to it which should (hopefully) highlight your sillouette. I am happy with this jacket for most temp ranges worn with proper underattire of course in the cold. Any stain just washes right off with water and trust me - I've spillt more than my share of beer, etc on it. I will at some point give it a true softshell wash to replenish the material, but not yet.

One other company - I'm thinking of giving a shot at this year is Beyond Fleece. It's an internet company, but they you can at least be sure the jacket is fit to your body. The schoeller material of their Cold Fusion line is comparable in quality to the Malden Mills Powershield technology of the Gamma SV. Just don't make the jacket with any whacky colours and you should be fine for streetwear.

troop

EDIT : - If you're worried about pricing on the Gammas, then I can say I got mine from Travelcountry for 189 dollars during a semi-annual sale event. That compares very well to the $356 CDN they sell for retail in Canada and they NEVER NEVER go on sales here.

gimmegimme

Reaction score
Originally Posted by atroopan
One other company - I'm thinking of giving a shot at this year is Beyond Fleece. It's an internet company, but they you can at least be sure the jacket is fit to your body. The schoeller material of their Cold Fusion line is comparable in quality to the Malden Mills Powershield technology of the Gamma SV. Just don't make the jacket with any whacky colours and you should be fine for streetwear.

troop

EDIT : - If you're worried about pricing on the Gammas, then I can say I got mine from Travelcountry for 189 dollars during a semi-annual sale event. That compares very well to the $356 CDN they sell for retail in Canada and they NEVER NEVER go on sales here.

I have a pair of pants from Beyond Fleece. Very nice quality, etc., but I found the measuring a bit stressful. When you have the choice between s, m & l, you settle for how it fits, but I was neurotic about how these fit, and it definitely wasn't right the first time around. They do, however, have excellent customer service and are more than happy to accommodate crazy's like me.
wink.gif

You can also get good deals on Arcteryx on Sierra Trading Post. Watch for the customs charges (which are high for some reason from this store) if shipping to Canada.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gimmegimme
You can also get good deals on Arcteryx on Sierra Trading Post. Watch for the customs charges (which are high for some reason from this store) if shipping to Canada.
I believe it's because they ship UPS. Which is much more expensive than USPS to start with, and if there is any customs charge, they tack on a huge brokerage fee. Basically buying stuff on STP is almost never worth it - check eBay first!

phooi

Reaction score
A thought occurred to me as I was looking for a jacket. Do you guys think there would be a market for technical streetwear? Think Engineered Garments with hi-tech materials...

Thoughts?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phooi
A thought occurred to me as I was looking for a jacket. Do you guys think there would be a market for technical streetwear? Think Engineered Garments with hi-tech materials...
In the "Pacific Northwest", a lot of people already wear technical clothes on a casual basis. So in theory there would be a market for technical-streetwear crossover. However, I'm convinced that the people who wear technical clothes don't have enough interest in clothes that such a line would be able to compete with MEC and REI's pricing. Two lines that are exploring this area:
  • Patagonia's Lifestyle/Casual, which even has a corduroy sportscoat in the current collection.
  • Oqoqo, which is Lululemon's streetwear spin-off. However, a few weeks ago one of their store managers told me that the men's collection is being folded back into Lululemon.

phaedrus

Reaction score
I actually like the look of some of the Nike ACG stuff but I cant vouch for the quality having never actually bought any. They do look very "technical" to me.

gimmegimme

Reaction score
There's a european company called Acronym that makes high-tech blazers, etc. Pricey and hard to come by...but worth a look if you've got the cash. Sold at The Glade.

alterion

Reaction score
Howies is a British company that makes some very good technical jackets, at howies.com. Read thier product stoires for an inspiring read.

dso

Reaction score
Another company I would suggest that I don't believe has been suggested yet is Burton. They have several different lines that incorporate both fashion and function. The AK is high function technical pieces whereas the Mark XIII line is high fashion forward but still incorporates function. There is also an Idiom line that is Burton's Japanese line that parallels the AK line but with more fashion.

One other company that is creating amazing looking snowboarding pieces that are highly fashion driven is Holden outerwear. Lots of good fabrics used in the line.

What's even better now is because it is nearing the end of the snow season you can find these jackets at discounts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads