• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technical Jackets

phooi

Reaction score
Does anyone here where technical jackets (North Face, etc.)? I'm always looking for something that combines a style with functionality. I saw one today that I thought was interesting and was thinking about buying for my trip to Paris in May.

Here's the link: North Face Apex Geographica

What do you guys think?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phooi
Does anyone here where technical jackets (North Face, etc.)? I'm always looking for something that combines a style with functionality. I saw one today that I thought was interesting and was thinking about buying for my trip to Paris in May.

What do you guys think?

Is that much jacket necessary for paris in spring?

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks fine to me
if you like it, then you should just buy it
arctyrex makes some pretty sweet soft shell ones you might wanna check out though

phooi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Is that much jacket necessary for paris in spring?

This will be my first trip to Paris. From what I've read, Paris rains quite a bit and tends to be cool. I was looking for a jacket that I could wear that was functional, decent looking, and keeps me from looking like a tourist. Besides, this jacket seems like the type that you can actually wear out without looking like you're ready for the outdoors. I was just curious to see what folks here thought of items like this. I've never seen a thread about it...

Originally Posted by ghulkhan
looks fine to me
if you like it, then you should just buy it
arctyrex makes some pretty sweet soft shell ones you might wanna check out though

Yeah, I like Arc'Teryx too but it's expensive. Also they're styles scream hardcore outdoorsman which I dig but I was looking for something I could wear out in the city and have it blend in.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That jacket looks like it has a pretty square cut. I would try and find something with a little more shape.

gimmegimme

Reaction score
I'm a tech-jacket nutbar...I have one for every possible weather condition. If you want my recommendation for a rainy spring jacket...try Patagonia's Spraymaster. Super stretchy, super light weight (folds into its own pocket), breaths fairly well and is cut very slim & trim. Top notch in my opinion. I can recommend more technical-esque jackets, but if you want to wear it in the city and not look like a backpacker, this is a good way to go.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod...R.MENS.JACKETS

A note on the North Face. Quality is lacking..."not what it used to be" sort of situation. They do make some decent clothing, but you'd have to move into the higher priced stuff, and at that price point, you could do even better with another company. Arcteryx makes decent stuff...but very boxy (usually), and very expensive. Shite customer service too if you have a warranty issue.

If you want lots of nerdy details, check out www.backpackinglight.com for tons of reviews.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This will be my first trip to Paris. From what I've read, Paris rains quite a bit and tends to be cool. I was looking for a jacket that I could wear that was functional, decent looking, and keeps me from looking like a tourist. Besides, this jacket seems like the type that you can actually wear out without looking like you're ready for the outdoors. I was just curious to see what folks here thought of items like this. I've never seen a thread about it...

I think the jacket looks fine, but I'll reiterate, average temps in May are 65F. Also, I doubt you'll avoid looking like you're a tourist visiting Paris in any case.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

What do you guys think?

While it can get a bit cool at night, I don't really see the justification of buying this jacket over another at that price. I think you could do far better for far less.

phooi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bargecharge
While I don't own anything by them (they're a fairly new company I think, but they have a good rep), I like this jacket a lot, as well as some of the others they sell:

https://www.nau.com/homepage/index.j...ucts/107M200&4

Similar to Acronym and Arcteryx, but at 1/5 and 1/2 the price, respectively.

Cool site! I like the mix of urban with the outdoors. Doesn't look like there are many companies attacking this niche.

Originally Posted by gimmegimme
I'm a tech-jacket nutbar...I have one for every possible weather condition. If you want my recommendation for a rainy spring jacket...try Patagonia's Spraymaster. Super stretchy, super light weight (folds into its own pocket), breaths fairly well and is cut very slim & trim. Top notch in my opinion. I can recommend more technical-esque jackets, but if you want to wear it in the city and not look like a backpacker, this is a good way to go.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod...R.MENS.JACKETS

A note on the North Face. Quality is lacking..."not what it used to be" sort of situation. They do make some decent clothing, but you'd have to move into the higher priced stuff, and at that price point, you could do even better with another company. Arcteryx makes decent stuff...but very boxy (usually), and very expensive. Shite customer service too if you have a warranty issue.

If you want lots of nerdy details, check out www.backpackinglight.com for tons of reviews.

I'm a huge tech-jacket/gear junkie myself. I think Patagonia is a great brand. I've been buying their stuff since the late 80's but was looking for something that looks urban with all of the technology associated with it. Thanks for the link on backpackinglight.com. I'll check it out.

migo

Reaction score
I normally buy my stuff from either www.campmor.com , www.backcountry.com , or www.ems.com

Marmot has some jackets that you might like. They have a nice cut to them. I've come to dislike north face because it's become so common...I've heard there's also been a general loss in quality but that may not be true.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
barge, thanks for that link (altho it keeps crashing my browser) - exactly what I've been looking for. Def going to pick at least one of those up; might get two for diff seasons...

Chauncey Gardner

Reaction score
Paris always has lots of cool weather when I'm there, but as it's changeable you can pick up suntan in early April and May when it would be impossible, say, in England. So I prefer to layer simple sports jackets or windbreakers and sweaters, with scarves. I never like to feel encumbered.

Nevertheless, since Technical fits in with your style, I don't think you'll have to fear looking out of place even if there in July, when I've seen lots of Northern European kids in heavy parkas lounging outside the Louvre.

Checking your profile I see that you're a smaller size, just like me, so you might want to shop for your jacket in Paris, where smaller sizes are far more plentiful in all items of clothing than they are in the US. That way you can return home with something different from what everyone else at home has. In backpacks at least, I love the Swiss designs from Mammot (Mammoth), and they have a full line of clothing.

Have fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads