1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Teas with caffeine in them

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Rambo, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Ok science nerds, I got a question for you: I was reading that the caffeine content of teas are released within the first 20-30 seconds. But, once that "dose" has been released, is there any more in there? For instance, if I brew a tea bag and get the caf out, is there any left if I make another cup?

2. the_drizzle

the_drizzle Senior member

According to the last link I posted above, you'll retain about half the caffeine.

I wouldn't recommend it since you lose a lot of the flavor the second time around, unless you are using very strong tea.

If you buy loose leaf tea, its pretty inexpensive. Even the higher quality stuff will run you 10-20 cents a cup.

3. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Besides using loose leaf, does anyone have any other recommendations to make tea more fragrant/rich tasting? I'm used to the tasteless watery tea created by tea bags, but recall drinking here and there teas (maybe earl gray) whose taste lasted a very long time in the mouth, with lots of different tones.

4. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

Read the table again — it clearly states that an average cup of green tea has more caffeine in it than the same cup of black tea.

Well, apart from the simple fact that you would not want to drink just about any high end black tea with an infusion of minutes or more, there is this: Black tea is basically the same tea as white or green, but is rolled/oxidized more, so if it is made properly, more caffeine will make its way from the leaves into the water. The rest of your statement is basically useless because we can go on forever argumenting caffeine amounts in teas with different amounts of leaves in a cup, obviously. Longer brewing times don't affect the amount of caffeine in a cup, by the way (given you extract longer than about 20 seconds). What does change, however, is he amount of tannins solved in whiter and thus the perception of the overall amount of caffeine. The effect is equal, though.

Rambo, because black tea has a broken up leaf structure, most of the caffeine is being extracted with the first cup. Green and white teas of high quality can be used several times. Having said that: Do you really, physically, need the caffeine in your tea? If not, you might want to consider a mint tea which has a similar, refreshing effect but gives you the freedom of enjoying as much of it as you want. Be careful with spearmint, however, because it isn't really good for your stomach in high doses. Low menthol plants as apple mint are healthier.