• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teas with caffeine in them

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I need to take a break from coffee for a little while and I'm trying to get my fix from elsewhere. What do you guys recommend for teas that have some caffeine in them? I know absolutely NOTHING about tea (mostly hate what I've had before) so I could use a crash course in this ****.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black teas are generally going to have the highest caffeine content, but even then it's likely to have only half as much caffeine as an equivalent amount of coffee.

What teas have you tried before that you disliked?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've hated every tea that I've ever tried. They've all been too weak and thin compared to coffee. I'm trying some green tea packets now and they taste like groundwater runoff.

What I need is something to keep me going throughout the day that isn't coffee. Which ones have the highest caffeine content?

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, black tea has the least amount of caffeine of all the varieties produced from tea plants. Green tea has quite a bit more, white tea has the most. I would not recommend starting with greens and whites, though. Get a number of good black teas from different countries/regions/tea gardens to find out which flavor profile you like, then go on with green and white tea. A black Darjeeling (Steinthal is a classic garden) Assam and a high quality broken blend will do to get the basics covered.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

See, as much as I want to start getting into this for taste, I need to do it ass backwards and get into it for caffeine first, then go from there.

Drink loose leaf tea for taste. So many possibilities.

Then take low dosage caffiene pills in set amounts equivalent to a cup of coffee you used to take.
A nice pill cutter will last you.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Actually, black tea has the least amount of caffeine of all the varieties produced from tea plants. Green tea has quite a bit more, white tea has the most. I would not recommend starting with greens and whites, though. Get a number of good black teas from different countries/regions/tea gardens to find out which flavor profile you like, then go on with green and white tea. A black Darjeeling (Steinthal is a classic garden) Assam and a high quality broken blend will do to get the basics covered.

I don't believe this is correct. Where did you get your information? Black tea equals highest caffeine content has always been my understanding.

the_drizzle

Reaction score

I don't believe this is correct. Where did you get your information? Black tea equals highest caffeine content has always been my understanding.

Both of you are wrong.

The amount of caffeine in a cup of tea is primarily determined by volume and seeping time.

The growing methods affect how much caffeine is in a particular variety of tea, whereas oxidation has no effect.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy tea and drink several cups each day. It gives me a bit of energy but it's a much more subtle boost than coffee.

I don't really know about caffeine content but if you want a potent, flavourful brew try a Lapsang Souchong - very smoky and delicious. I've been drinking lots of oolong lately - Ti Quan Yin is great. I'll drink pretty much every type though and a good English breakfast tea is really nice in the morning.

Do you have a local tea shop or high-end grocer? If not, you can buy online. Mariage Frères make some of the best blends I've tried and have a huge variety available for purchase online. Not cheap though and you have to order a lot to make it worthwhile because shipping is pretty expensive as well.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looseleaf tea is the best, my preference are black teas. But since you aren't sure what you like I suggest you get tea bags, something mainstream and relatively inexpensive like tazo or twinnings. Black tea has the most caffeine and tastes the best IMO, I dislike green tea for the most part.

the_drizzle

Reaction score

You are still wrong.

Compared to green/white teas, black tea is typically seeped longer with a larger amount of leaves.

Both of you are wrong.
The amount of caffeine in a cup of tea is primarily determined by volume and seeping time.
The growing methods affect how much caffeine is in a particular variety of tea, whereas oxidation has no effect.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You are still wrong.
Compared to green/white teas, black tea is typically seeped longer with a larger amount of leaves.

I think you mean steep. But are you suggesting the Mayo clinic is wrong? Why would they lie to us?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads