1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Teaching English in Japan

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tommib, Jul 5, 2006.

1. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

Alot of people I know who have independently taught in Japan have loved it and the people I know hated JET because they work you like a dog, but I guess Westerners that aren't used to the asian work ethic might be in for a shock, from what I hear, and yeah, you 99% probably won't get placed in a big city...

my feelings on Japan/Tokyo
    I have such mixed feelings about Tokyo after going there for the 2nd time. The first time I went in 2003, I was in complete awe, it's such an amazing city, I said it was like NYC on crack. But when I came back in May, I had a quite a different feeling. At one time I feel like I had a great time, and got to enjoy a lot of what Tokyo has to offer, music, food, fashion, etc, but on the other hand when I was by myself, it's a really alienating city in my opinion. Like everyone is doing their business and in no way will you effect their lives.

At least that's my opinion about Tokyo, I'm sure it's a very biased opinion...but thats the lasting impression I got of it.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

3. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

4. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

Alot of people I know who have independently taught in Japan have loved it and the people I know hated JET because they work you like a dog, but I guess Westerners that aren't used to the asian work ethic might be in for a shock, from what I hear, and yeah, you 99% probably won't get placed in a big city...

I think it is difficult to generalize about JET, or about teaching English at a private school. I worked much harder and more hours at the family run English school and the businesss consulting company that sent me to corporate offices to teach business English (both profit making enterprises) than I ever did on JET (a public high school).

There may be some pressure on JET to stay in the office until the vice-principal leaves, but there probably isn't any pressure to bring in or retain students, and no pressure to stack lessons one atop the other for 8 hours straight with only a five minute break in between them.

On JET, I taught 11 hours in a Mon-Fri week. At the family run English school, I taught 28 hours in a Tues-Sat week.

Your mileage will vary....

Bic

5. ekimho

ekimho Member

Do any of you know if recieving a misdemeanor DUI when I was younger and less mature would exclude me from JET program? edit: ugh, terrible first post [​IMG]

6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think that your past DUI would hurt you. I can't remember exactly, but I think that they would only ask about felony convictions.

On the other hand, if by "younger and less mature days" you mean six weeks ago or something... that could be a problem. [​IMG] But, if it were more than two years, I wouldn't worry about it. Everybody screws up from time to time and I don't think they'd hold that over your head.

John