• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Teach me to wear a club-collar shirt.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a nice white club collar shirt on a recent jaunt to Denver's Polo outlet (it was the only shirt on the sale rack in a 15.5 "custom" fit, and I couldnt leave Colorado empty-handed). so tell me about club collars from my understanding, they are a rather vintage look. 1930s-ish? I imagine I'd want a narrower tie, right? I've seen Ralph Lauren pair it with kinda Ivy-Leaguish collegiate looks, so "prep-school rep-tie"? Where does a club collar fall on the continuum of collar-formality (ranging from button-down sport-sirts to spread-collar four-in-hand types or bow-tie tux shirts)? And can I wear it sans tie with a v-neck sweater (something about the pointed V shape seems wrong with the club's rounded egdes)? thanks in advance for the advice, gentlemen. (and apologies if this has been covered. I did a cursory search for "club", but that just pulls up virtually every thread in the streetwear forum
)

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
They're no more formal or casual than a point collar for business wear, but they can't be worn without a tie very well. I've seen them worn with three piece suits pretty well.

Waltar

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'll buy the shirt off you. I'm having an awful time finding proper club collared shirts.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could probably still do a version of the repp tie in some colors that may not be quite so collegiate.
For me clothes influence the cologne. If you are the same, I'm interested in what you'll pair with the club collar.

trogdor

Reaction score
This was posted on The Sartorialist blog, some time last month. It looks pretty cool to me:

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know some people love the club-collar look but it's always looked sexless to me.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40