• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Teach me how to charcoal please

bbob2013

Reaction score
Hey crew,

I am working on putting some decent suit rigs together. Previously I only had a navy. I just picked up a charcoal SuSu and I’m having trouble piecing it together coherently.

I plan to wear with white shirts (at first) and dark brown shoes.

Can dark brown easily pair?
I am having the hardest issue with ties. i’d really like some advice on what pairs from my current collection, and thoughts on possible purchases moving forward.

Current ties:

Attachments

bbob2013

Reaction score
These are two sets of possible ties. I really want to like the brown, but I struggle with it. The green is nice as well as the light blue (I like the texture too). I will probably move forward with at least those two out of the bunch, but open to suggestions.

Attachments

Ben W

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to classic menswear especially compared to some of the veterans on this forum but in my experience you can wear almost anything with either navy or charcoal as long as it doesn't match the suit in both color and texture. For example with your solid charcoal suit don't wear a sold charcoal tie. You could probably rock a grenadine charcoal tie though if going for a monochromatic look.

Like navy and charcoal suits, dark brown shoes go with just about anything. If you have a matching belt you should be able to rock them with your charcoal suit. Or go belt-less; highly recommended, try suspenders.

Of your existing ties I'd gravitate to the three closest to the right, the blue one 2nd from the bottom, and the red/burg one closest to the left. For the new ties... I think all of the ones in the left photo are too similar to existing options you have. I wouldn't buy any of those if I already had the collection you do. They don't really add anything imo. I like any of the options in the right photo except the green. If you want to rock a green I'd go with something a little darker. You could probably pull it off, but I don't think it is the best option.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
My first bespoke rig was a herringbone charcoal peak. I will admit, while common wisdom tells us that charcoal = navy in terms of beginnings of a wardrobe, I find charcoal sometimes more challenging because of its austerity.

The tie colors I always end up liking the most with charcoal are Navy through Royal blue, and almost any shade of red, from rich burgundies to bright reds. While you can wear almost any tie color with it, I think the austerity of charcoal is very much enhanced by color.

In terms of shoes, I heavily prefer black or oxblood with charcoal. There is nothing wrong with brown, I just think oxblood generally looks better with charcoal.

Dashing Chris

Reaction score
These are two sets of possible ties. I really want to like the brown, but I struggle with it. The green is nice as well as the light blue (I like the texture too). I will probably move forward with at least those two out of the bunch, but open to suggestions.
charcoal or the cream!

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.