• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tea

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I start a new job on Wednesday. My old job had the wonderful perk of a full-time barista who would give us lovely espresso in the morning. My new job doesn't have this luxury (though it has others).

Since I haven't paid for coffee in years, I don't intend to start. Instead, I'm going to try to get my boost from tea -- I intend to fill a 0.75L Sigg thermos in my apartment and bring it to work in the morning.

I need this drink to give me a little boost while maintaining its nutritional properties. Is green tea the best for this task? Is all green tea zero calories?

What would be the best solution?

awxg

Reaction score
All I know is you're not supposed to put milk in your tea unless you don't mind losing the health benefits.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
I start a new job on Wednesday. My old job had the wonderful perk of a full-time barista who would give us lovely espresso in the morning. My new job doesn't have this luxury (though it has others).

Since I haven't paid for coffee in years, I don't intend to start. Instead, I'm going to try to get my boost from tea -- I intend to fill a 0.75L Sigg thermos in my apartment and bring it to work in the morning.

I need this drink to give me a little boost while maintaining its nutritional properties. Is green tea the best for this task? Is all green tea zero calories?

What would be the best solution?

What are you most interested in getting from drinking your tea? Caffeine? Black typically has higher levels then green tea, although not as high as coffee. They will have negligible calories except for what you add (sugar, cream, etc)

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, to start with the obvious:

green tea = low caffeine
black tea = much higher caffeine content

Obviously there are many many varieties of tea and they vary greatly in flavor and intensity. Good news is that a good strong cup of black tea will probably have asmuch caffeine as an espresso - if i remember correctly, about 80mg in an average espresso? Definitely possible from one bag of strong tea.

Anyway, I would recommend a good irish or english breakfast tea in the morning - strong (irish usually stronger than the english) and flavorful enough even without sugar. Equivalent of three tea bags for 0.75L - and more than enough caffeine for your morning. (I probably drink about 5-10 cups of tea daily)

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very helpful. I am switching to tea because I don't want to make coffee in the morning and because I know it is healthier (though I know that my double espresso in the morning is not a bad health choice). I don't put milk or sugar in my tea.

But getting a caffeine boost is certainly important in the morning, and is one of the things I'll be looking for. So I'll go with some black tea. Other suggestions and thoughts? I could see myself filling the thermos 3/4 way and going with two tea bags.

Mauby

Reaction score
You may want to try Yerba Matte (or Yerba Mate) tea. My friend was an avid Starbucks drinker and gave it up for this stuff. He says he gets a better energy burst than from coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker or a yerba drinker, so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd stick with black tea over yerba mate. At least in my experiences with mate in Argentina, it is far far stronger than tea. It keeps me up all night.

Green tea is supposed to have other health benefits, but (I believe) has less caffeine. One of the great things about tea is the variety. Get a few varieties of good loose tea and your own bags or diffuser. Most of the stuff that comes in bags is not very good, although Twinings isn't terrible.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
IOne of the great things about tea is the variety. Get a few varieties of good loose tea and your own bags or diffuser. Most of the stuff that comes in bags is not very good, although Twinings isn't terrible.

This, a thousand times this. I've had good luck from the folks over at Arbor Tea; prices are reasonable and knowledge is pretty solid. It takes maybe an extra fifteen seconds on top of bagged tea to clean out a filter, but can taste so much better... and it's easier to fine-tune the dosage.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hellokitty889
Welcome to The Combat Formula thread. This is a recreation of the previous combat formula thread. In this thread, we discuss the formula that calculates one's combat level, using the levels in the combat skills. This formula is not exact, but it does have a very high accuracy. Our goal is to improve it so that it becomes exact. The formula can help you calculate your combat level, for any combination of combat skills you like. INTERESTING NEWS: Jagex puts up a Wallpaper containing something that appears to be an estimate of the combat formula. Our data suggests that it is not the actual formula, but it does seem to confirm bits of our formula. Feel free to discuss it here in this threadWant to buy runescape money pls check it~~I like RS Gold

My combat skills are unmatched. My combat level is infinite.

kalice

Reaction score
I don't understand the previous post... But anyhow. Onto the teas. I started out drinking a large cup of various loose leaf green teas in the morning to wake myself up. It worked for a while, until my caffeine resistance went up. Now I've graduated to black teas. There's an wonderful little place in Philadelphia if you're ever there called The Spice Corner (in Italian Market). They also have an online store at http://www.thespicecorner.com/. Their teas are actually decently high quality (the same quality as the good ones I haul back from China). Just no fancy packaging.

Morgan

Reaction score
I shop online at uptontea.com, which has a huge selection and great service. Their Bond Street English breakfast tea is my everyday staple but I usually order a small quantity of something else to keep trying new flavors.

patrill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
I shop online at uptontea.com, which has a huge selection and great service. Their Bond Street English breakfast tea is my everyday staple but I usually order a small quantity of something else to keep trying new flavors.

Upton Tea is the best. I haven't found any other online store with a better selection or quality.

You could try one of their samplers, maybe an Assam or Darjeeling set? Those can be amazing.

brazboy

Reaction score
Oolong tea is the best for caffeine boost (and also provide the health benefits). Black tea is the most caffeine-rich tea, but it darkens teeth. Oolong is the second one. See link for more info.

http://www.stashtea.com/caffeine.htm

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brazboy
....but it darkens teeth. ..

I drink only white and green tea, and even they darken teeth. It helps greatly if you rinse your mouth immediatly after every cup- same for coffee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads