1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tea Appreciation

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Mandrake9072, Mar 14, 2011.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Really? I'm a big fan

I'm going to switch to green teas tho cuz I keep burning my thumb and fingers or spilling everything. What a noob

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Hm, I've had one Pu Errh that was something like 7€/100g and it tasted disgusting. Maybe I just did it wrong. But I simply love green tea. And like black tea sometimes.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i'm a big fan of darjeeling. i had a margaret's hope darjeeling at a random small japanese shop near union square and that shit was mindblowingly good.

supposedly puerh can also be mindblowingly good, but you need to buy a brick of it i hear which i haven't had the chance to

4. Renton

Renton Senior member

Any thoughts on Grace Tea Company? I've got about six of their tea that I use on a regular basis, particularly their Russian Caravan. It has just enough lapsang souchong to keep things interesting.

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

Bump.

In the mood for black tea at the moment. Picked up some Earl Grey and black tea for drinking with milk from Mariage Frères.

Earl Grey Impérial

It's darjeeling based. Very intense bergamote aroma that's also very present in the brewed cup. Right now, I think something around 9.5 g per litre and around 3-3.5 minutes are best. 12.5 g, as suggested from Mariage Frères, is too extreme to my palate.

The tea that was recommended to me (for enjoying with some milk) was Pettiagalla OP1 ceylon.

It's good. I actually think that milk doesn't really benefit it, since it's not strong enough, so I drink it plain. I'm at 11g per litre and 4 minutes. I'll try the suggested 12.5g tomorrow.

I'll also smell and maybe try some scented black teas (I already have Marco Polo, which I like quite a bit) -- Pleine Lune, Thé au Tibet, Wedding Impérial or Fils de France. Anyone had any of these?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  6. alex99

alex99 Senior member

I tried the Marco Polo last month when I was in Paris (at their Louvre shop), and decided to buy some teas from their original shop in Le Marais. I bought some loose leaf Marco Polo, Paris Breakfast, and a Darjeeling that says "1625 Namring" on the bag. That Darjeeling is really nice, you only brew to 90c and steep for 2-3 minutes. I find myself drinking Paris Breakfast with some milk and honey in the morning. I think I prefer it to Marco Polo.

The best teas I had when I was in Paris was at a restaurant called YamT'cha that did a full tasting menu with tea pairings instead of wine. They even have a tea sommelier that explains each tea they bring to go with your food. This is what it looked like at the end of service:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. javyn

javyn Senior member

xishi teapots are supposed to be great, but for simplicity's sake, i still love the gaiwan best.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Any recommendations on places either to drink brewed tea or to shop for teas in Mumbai or Shanghai?

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Picked up some more.

Earl Grey Provence
    Intense lavender flavour (all-natural, or so it tastes). Works well.

Margaret's Hope FTGFOP
    Good Darjeeling. Very grassy/notes of green tea.

Wedding Impérial
    I never was a fan of flavoured tea, but Mariage Frères really does it well.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Tea of sweet mint leaves from our garden. I have two other varieties of mint, but this plant is further along in growth.

[​IMG]

11. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Just bought my first Yixing pot and some high mountain oolong to go with it... Diving into tea geek territory hard.

2 people like this.
  12. Bassett

Bassett Well-Known Member

I enjoy their teas. Very inexpensive as well.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Harney and sons is bleah. Pricing is high. Blends are decent but nothing special.

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I only order Mighty Leaf teas. Working through a box of vanilla bean now

15. juncopardner

juncopardner Member

Lately I have been drinking full leaf Chinese tea grandpa style out of a Collins glass. It's like walking around with an aquatic vase.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

One interesting discovery this year was a white Scottish tea sold by Fortnum and Mason. Grown in Scotland (and presumably picked by Scottish monkeys off the cliff). One of the best teas I have ever had, although that may just be because the price frightened me into using distilled water at the correct temperature.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  17. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

That's the Dalreoch Smoked, right?

18. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not smoked, IIRC.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  19. b1os

b1os Senior member

Is using distilled water actually benefitial? I'd imagine that it leads to overextraction.

20. BenjaminZeev

BenjaminZeev Senior member

Anyone have experience with Taiping Houkui? I got some Hojo Teas from a friend. I normally make Long Jing, with a short brewing time and low temperature in a clay or porcelain pot/gaiwan, for best results and was wondering if there was a good way using a pot/gaiwan for Houkui? Hojo recommends a higher temperature (about 85 to 90 degrees Celsius) than usually find optimum.

Also I don't think there would be any problem with distilled water (its danger/effect is often overstated), could be better than a bad local water supply, but natural spring water (with higher mineral content, though don't go overboard) would be better (or if you have a safe, good local water supply). Another option is using charcoal and/or clay to treat your own water.