• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TB it him!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
He really should stop that awful tie tuck.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i agree and maybe a change of color too a deep red or pale blue it will just bring out the paleness of the grey suit so much more!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not wearing socks with a suit and tie is just so goddamn ridiculous. I'm not a stickler to "the rules" and I'm all for artistic expression but to what event does this guy wear a full suit/shirt/tie combo with highwater pants and no socks and think that he is appropriately dressed. This guy is a charlatan.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
what the ? ..who is this guy??

ive heard the name thom browne thrown around alot in these fora in a negative sense, but i never had the interest to know who he is.

now that i see him, me dont like him.

He's a men's fashion designer and a tailor from NYC.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
thats a hell of a testicle separation he's got going on there

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
He's trying to revive the 1960s looks which just isn't very stylish. It's trad meets reductio ad absurdum.
That's a pretty ignorant mindset. Suits in the 1960s did not all have highwater trousers, very high jacket lengths, and one inch lapels. Not even the fashionable "mod" look was quite like this. Look at pictures of John F. Kennedy if you still don't believe me. He was pretty stylish but never overdone. I saw from a production photo of Stay that Ewan McGregor was wearing quarter length black socks. Throughout most of the movie though, he seemed to be wearing none or just ankle length ones. A shame. I'd be fine with TB's whole shrunken suit look if he'd stop with the no socks, unironed buttondowns, and tie tuck. (He's got money, why can't he make himself a tie in the correct length for his torso?) Now, you all remember my rant from a while ago that traipsed all over Thom's carcass. Personally, it's grown on me. While I don't like some of his personal choices, the overall aesthetic really isn't that bad. Having the trouser hem right at the top of the shoe is kinda nice for warm weather, and the high rise and short jacket are nice little nods to the past. Mind you, TB himself looks like he's wearing a size lower than he should. But as we've seen on both The Sartorialist and here with Jason's suit (which especially made me reconsider), it can be worn less severe with nice results. Even the unbuttoned buttondown collar has grown on me significantly, since I found it can be worn tastefully in both Stay and at my job. (IRONED!)

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
thats a hell of a testicle separation he's got going on there

lol8[1].gif

Oh, that's pure gold.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
me too i dont mind the look it is just the way that he himself presents it, i do wear my suits shorter and tighter than you should but i also prefer a lower waisted trouser and a tad on the longer side in the leg too, but no or even those ancle socks, for me too that is just wrong.

he could at least match the socks with the tie
crackup[1].gif
and if he was really after the mod look he could wear white socks - but his look is based on ted fox in the day of the jackle if i remember rightly!!

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Yeah, mod isn't the best way to describe his aesthetic. One of the significant differences is that the trousers sit at the waist. Mods usually had them lower in rise (kind of like Express Men's Producer Pant I guess?).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads