1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TB it him!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Aug 19, 2006.

1. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

He really should stop that awful tie tuck.

3. luk-cha

i agree and maybe a change of color too a deep red or pale blue it will just bring out the paleness of the grey suit so much more!

4. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not wearing socks with a suit and tie is just so goddamn ridiculous. I'm not a stickler to "the rules" and I'm all for artistic expression but to what event does this guy wear a full suit/shirt/tie combo with highwater pants and no socks and think that he is appropriately dressed. This guy is a charlatan.

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

He's trying to revive the 1960s looks which just isn't very stylish. It's trad meets reductio ad absurdum.

6. tbabes

tbabes Senior member

Who is this TB person?

7. kronik

kronik Senior member

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

from a week in style on mens.style.com Attachment 898

what the ? ..who is this guy??

ive heard the name thom browne thrown around alot in these fora in a negative sense, but i never had the interest to know who he is.

now that i see him, me dont like him.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have met the actual man, and he is quite amiable. However, I can't say I care too much for the style.

10. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior member

what the ? ..who is this guy??

ive heard the name thom browne thrown around alot in these fora in a negative sense, but i never had the interest to know who he is.

now that i see him, me dont like him.

He's a men's fashion designer and a tailor from NYC.

11. Matt

Matt Senior member

thats a hell of a testicle separation he's got going on there

12. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

He's trying to revive the 1960s looks which just isn't very stylish. It's trad meets reductio ad absurdum.
    That's a pretty ignorant mindset. Suits in the 1960s did not all have highwater trousers, very high jacket lengths, and one inch lapels. Not even the fashionable "mod" look was quite like this. Look at pictures of John F. Kennedy if you still don't believe me. He was pretty stylish but never overdone. I saw from a production photo of Stay that Ewan McGregor was wearing quarter length black socks. Throughout most of the movie though, he seemed to be wearing none or just ankle length ones. A shame. I'd be fine with TB's whole shrunken suit look if he'd stop with the no socks, unironed buttondowns, and tie tuck. (He's got money, why can't he make himself a tie in the correct length for his torso?) Now, you all remember my rant from a while ago that traipsed all over Thom's carcass. Personally, it's grown on me. While I don't like some of his personal choices, the overall aesthetic really isn't that bad. Having the trouser hem right at the top of the shoe is kinda nice for warm weather, and the high rise and short jacket are nice little nods to the past. Mind you, TB himself looks like he's wearing a size lower than he should. But as we've seen on both The Sartorialist and here with Jason's suit (which especially made me reconsider), it can be worn less severe with nice results. Even the unbuttoned buttondown collar has grown on me significantly, since I found it can be worn tastefully in both Stay and at my job. (IRONED!)

13. Chris "Italia"

Chris "Italia" Senior member

thats a hell of a testicle separation he's got going on there

[​IMG]

Oh, that's pure gold.

14. luk-cha

me too i dont mind the look it is just the way that he himself presents it, i do wear my suits shorter and tighter than you should but i also prefer a lower waisted trouser and a tad on the longer side in the leg too, but no or even those ancle socks, for me too that is just wrong.

he could at least match the socks with the tie[​IMG] and if he was really after the mod look he could wear white socks - but his look is based on ted fox in the day of the jackle if i remember rightly!!

15. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Yeah, mod isn't the best way to describe his aesthetic. One of the significant differences is that the trousers sit at the waist. Mods usually had them lower in rise (kind of like Express Men's Producer Pant I guess?).

16. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

if he was really after the mod look he could wear white socks
    ack!! Mods don't wear white socks!!!!! [​IMG] That's *our* cardinal rule! TB makes some nice gear (I esp like his varsity striped cardigan that Ewan wears in "Stay") but he isnt his best spokesperson for it. I'm still amazed that when you go to him for bespoke he cuts the trousers highwatered and apparently won't budge on that option. I love my TB suit but worn the way *I* want, not his

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The 1960s were very stylish; from cars to clothes to art.

In fact, the '60s was the time where you might have seen lawyers in morning coats, and wing collar driving a brand new Pinin-Farina designed car or Ossie Clark in that bastion of tradition, Rolls Royce.

18. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

If the '60s weren't stylish I'm curious to know what decade was.

19. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

I'm still amazed that when you go to him for bespoke he cuts the trousers highwatered and apparently won't budge on that option.
    You have to be kidding me. That's not bespoke, that's bullshit. Can't you at least just have the hem touching your shoe?