• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread

globalroamer

Reaction score
I own couple of chinos from TS. Can anyone tell me what's the sizing like when I want to buy from Gustin ?
Maybe for shirts as well.
Thanks

Klemins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it started with last Fall's Yosemite shirts. And I think the change has largely affected only shirts, but I could be wrong on that. Fwiw, they've gone to great lengths to justify their decision by praising the ethics and craftsmanship of the factory they selected, going so far as to say they produce better quality than the USA-based factory they previously used (something about 20+ stitches per inch, I donno). Reactions have varied from what I've seen, but I think most folks think it at least should've come with some cost benefits to the consumer.

I'm much more appalled by another recent change that made those little boxes constantly pop up in my web browser saying "So-and-so just backed the Winslow Parka in Michigan!" right in front of some text or graphic I'm currently trying to read. So annoying. I could do without the slot full of "Notifications" awaiting me every time I visit too.

Nah, basically everything is made overseas now. I think it's only couple random pieces that are still in the US. To be fair, some is made outside of China (like Portugal for some of their shirts).

Re: the cost staying the same - TS justified it by saying production overseas isn't significantly cheaper. A lot of those factories and their parent companies handle everything from fabric sourcing to packaging & shipping back to the US (rather than TS having to handle many of the logistics). Plus, many factories in China are newer and actually capable of more (in terms of production specs) than places in the US. Outsourcing hasn't only been about cutting costs since the 80s or so...now it's because they offer things US factories can't.

I'm over TS due to their designs. They basically offer the same stuff over and over, and many of their newer designs are pseudo-tech wear kind of stuff I'm not into.

globalroamer

Reaction score
Nah, basically everything is made overseas now. I think it's only couple random pieces that are still in the US. To be fair, some is made outside of China (like Portugal for some of their shirts).

Re: the cost staying the same - TS justified it by saying production overseas isn't significantly cheaper. A lot of those factories and their parent companies handle everything from fabric sourcing to packaging & shipping back to the US (rather than TS having to handle many of the logistics). Plus, many factories in China are newer and actually capable of more (in terms of production specs) than places in the US. Outsourcing hasn't only been about cutting costs since the 80s or so...now it's because they offer things US factories can't.

I'm over TS due to their designs. They basically offer the same stuff over and over, and many of their newer designs are pseudo-tech wear kind of stuff I'm not into.
So what are the alternatives ?

Reaction score
So what are the alternatives ?

Buck Mason has decent basics that are MiUSA. Lately i've been into Outerknown, but their looks are generally more casual than TS. For denim, I've got stuff from Left Field and Naked and Famous. All four companies can do more or less consistent sizing through their whole product line, with annotations when things are different. As opposed to TS where a 34 might fit like a 36, or 33 depending on the phases of the moon.

globalroamer

Reaction score
Buck Mason has decent basics that are MiUSA. Lately i've been into Outerknown, but their looks are generally more casual than TS. For denim, I've got stuff from Left Field and Naked and Famous. All four companies can do more or less consistent sizing through their whole product line, with annotations when things are different. As opposed to TS where a 34 might fit like a 36, or 33 depending on the phases of the moon.
Anything else you can share ? I bought some stuff from TS and was kinda happy with them but I need to plan more carefully as I am from europe and all those customs fees will kill me :)

Klemins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything else you can share ? I bought some stuff from TS and was kinda happy with them but I need to plan more carefully as I am from europe and all those customs fees will kill me :)

Are you originally from the US? If not, why is MiUSA important to you? Just curious, as there seem to be a bunch of brands with similar aesthetics to TS.

edit: not saying MiUSA should never be important to non-Americans. Just curious why it is, as quality isn't necessarily much different than overseas production for many brands.

orionz06

Reaction score
When MiUSA is a selling point and then production shifts and is touted as a good thing but the product fit and consistency flies out the window without a drop in price there's an issue.

globalroamer

Reaction score
I think the quality/value ratio is much better with MiUSA than with the european brands. I think lots of european made garments are of poor quality being sold for too much money. European brands have an insane brand recognition abroad therefore they inflate the prices. Surely there are some SMEs that make good quality/value products but I just never heard of them.

On top of that i think american style is very distinct and I just like it.
Feel free to recommend me anything that you deem to be of good quality. I would be grateful.

Thanks!

orionz06

Reaction score
Went against my better judgement and purchase an Apres hoodie. I get a ton of mileage out of another wool hoodie as a jacket and item I wear most of the time in the fall-spring so maybe it won't suck.

Neurochemist

Reaction score
Went against my better judgement and purchase an Apres hoodie. I get a ton of mileage out of another wool hoodie as a jacket and item I wear most of the time in the fall-spring so maybe it won't suck.

I was tempted to purchase that same hoodie as well. I liked that it was made out of hemp and organic cotton and it looked comfortable from the pictures. I was hesitant on spending $100+ on a hoodie though. Please update on how you like it after a few wearings!

orionz06

Reaction score
I've got a few hoodies in that price range, all some form of a performance merino. For days when I'm in and out of building, no wind, and what not they're amazing. I can typically wear the same outer garment from 20°F to 75°F and decent activity without issue. I hope this is the same, if so the price is worth it for me.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite shirts.

20180913_180416.jpg

orionz06

Reaction score
Apres hoodie showed up, a few days sooner than the usual 7-14 days to boot. Very nice. Hasn't been cool enough to wear it yet but the initial fit was how I had hoped and it feels better than I thought it would.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apres hoodie showed up, a few days sooner than the usual 7-14 days to boot. Very nice. Hasn't been cool enough to wear it yet but the initial fit was how I had hoped and it feels better than I thought it would.

Good to hear, I've been considering ordering one. What color did you get?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics