Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by taylorstitch, Jun 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

The broader issue to me is this: is the quality of items up to scratch. The Made in America movement is great in that it has attracted a lot of people back to the idea of learning trades, and let's hope there continues to be a market for fairly-priced, high-quality clothing and footwear. But let's not support that at all costs. I'm not going to not purchase a Taylor Stitch shirt simply because it's made in Portugal, or Scotland, or China for that matter. Whether the good is high quality has more to do with the brand's ethos than the geographic location. For instance, I don't see TS turning toward mass production apparel factories in China because that's not their selling point. And if it's made in smaller runs with attention to detail in China, how is that any different (from a quality perspective) than doing the same in the U.S. or Portugal?

Now if you want to support TS because you think it's important to support companies that create jobs in the U.S., that's fine too. I personally don't look at it that way. People in China and India and Bangladesh and Indonesia need jobs too, and some of them work to the same quality levels as workers here. Anyway, my (long-winded) point is that the quality of the garment and the ethics of the company should be the determining factor, not the specific geographic location of its construction.

2. Hiamosey

Hiamosey Senior member

I absolutely agree. I've been nothing but impressed with the quality of the clothing I've purchased so far from TS. Not to mention the customer service.

However, I can understand that made in America is a selling point for many people and if a company is straying from that movement then I do agree we should be informed. So I can understand some apprehension as well.

3. giantBOB

giantBOB Active Member

I personally find it disappointing.

4. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

Yeah I failed to emphasize that the company has to be transparent at all times. Just let me know and allow me to make the decision about whether the location that it's manufactured makes a difference.

5. nathanl

nathanl Senior member

I could probably echo a lot of what's said and from a "marketing" perspective, I think the biggest issue has just been some of the uncertainty. I don't think TS is hiding anything, I think it was an oversight of sorts. In the end, quality and clearly saying (and being proud) of where things are made is what matters.

And to that, I just bought my 4th and 5th Hyde shirts this morning. I love them and to me they seem a good notch above the US made ones - just much more precise construction and detail (it's the little things like loose threads and stitching alignment).

6. Hiamosey

Hiamosey Senior member

All of this.

Until I'm no longer happy with their product, I'll continue supporting them.

7. taylorstitch

taylorstitch Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Hey guys-- Sorry, I've been a little bit AWOL this past week! I'm playing a bit of catch up with your questions. First, let's get down to brass tacks regarding this issue with tagging-- that's all it is! The Yosemites are proudly manufactured here in the US. The facility that makes the Yosemites -- and our Jack and California shirts -- is close enough to our central office that we can drive over and pick up new deliveries instead of shipping them.

There's been no change in our design philosophy. Ethically made goods are extremely important to us, and we intend to continue manufacturing everything in a responsible way that guarantees the quality of our products. And just to be totally clear that these aren't weasel words: 99% of the time this means "Made in the USA." Not counting some of our ties, which are manufactured in Italy, the only major exception are our Hyde dress shirts. These guys are made in Portugal at a facility that our dudes have personally set foot in, smack in the middle of a beautiful city and staffed by lovely older ladies who probably have better employee benefits than I do. And we make them there primarily because they do classic dress shirts a little better (and a little bit more affordably) than our local facility.

I'm pretty sure the only reason the tag is different is so that we only have to buy one kind of tag to use on both our Hyde shirts and the rest of our stuff (Yosemites, Jacks, Californias, etc.) And/or the factory ran out of our made in the USA tags and we had them push ahead with production rather than delay them.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys have, but the bottom line is that Taylor Stitch has no plans to start moving production off-shore any time soon.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014

8. Staticbolt

Staticbolt Active Member

Will you guys be restocking the standard issue chino anytime in the near future? I missed my size :(

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

9. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Definitely some of the best customer service I've encountered; I've had buttons redone in-shop while I waited, shared a beer with the crew, you name it. It's not just good design philosophy, but the chemistry of the crew matters. All good people with their own personalities.

@Staticbolt I don't doubt the chinos will be restocked; it looks like those will be staples. The fabric feels perfect.

I will express my desire again for a denim project jacket (smaller front pockets, please) that's blanket-lined :) You'd absolutely kill it with that piece.

10. Hiamosey

Hiamosey Senior member

Have some Brushed Twill waiting for me at home.

Anyone have the Denim Glacier Shirt? Thoughts?

11. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

Please no more project jackets...they have canvas in stock and have waxed canvas on the way (maybe it's me but it's just a boring piece IMO). I'd love to see TS's take on another kind of outerwear.

12. 1989thenumber

1989thenumber Senior member

Mina told me there would be a restock before Xmas.

13. 1989thenumber

1989thenumber Senior member

I do. It's really nice. I got a 40 at first, because I got the last Fair Ends collab in 40, however this one comes up smaller so had to switch for a 42. Get it before it sells out.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

14. Hiamosey

Hiamosey Senior member

I'm getting my first button down today. I figure it'll help me with the fit for the denim shirt, which looks incredibly nice.