• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread

ricedaddy

Reaction score
SUPER bummed to see that the Yosemite and Crater shirts (some personal favorites in the past) will be made in China this year. Fabric on the Craters also looked really janky/cheap compared to the beautiful portuguese stuff of prior years. At least in the photos. Looks like TS is selling out in some ways and trying to be more sustainable in others (heavy t-shirts made without water, etc). Don't really get the direction.

I think I'll be ok buying TS made in China after this initial shock, but maybe might have to justify it more since the price will be the same. I am confident the quality will still just as good.

Anyone have their sweatshirts? comments? (hopefully they restock those)

Bryanb55

Reaction score
Damn. The bloom is really off the rose now. I am getting tired of seeing "Proudly made in China". This is obviously a new direction aimed at cutting manufacturing costs. I sincerely doubt we will see lower retail costs. One of the MAIN reasons I spent money with TS is to have proudly American made products that are built to last.

I haven't bought anything from Everlane but I do appreciate their transparency in identifying and showcasing the exact Chinese factories that make their products. TS would have to do at least as much as Everlane to get me to buy any Chinese made products in the future. There are a ton of great clothing companies still making products in the US and I will be adjusting purchases accordingly.

BOO.

Bryanb55

Reaction score
I had a long back and forth with Mike Maher yesterday about this and they have a long written response to share with anyone who downvotes TS products made in China:

The American factories they were using are no more ethical than the Chinese factories.
The American factories are staffed with immigrants, not Americans.
The American factories are not producing the quality that the Chinese can (even mentioned 20 stitches per inch on Yosemite samples from China that Portugal can't handle).
The clothing industry is a major source of pollution and the Chinese factories are newer and more efficient (less waste, pollution).

I appreciate the thought they put into the information he shared. There are plenty of counterpoints to make about pollution increase from importing from overseas and not spending money in the US among others.

I mentioned looking at small brands that do it themselves (Railcar) and others that are sticking with the Made in America pledge (Freenote Cloth among others). They countered that Railcar will always be small and that Freenote uses the same factories they do in the U.S.

It appears to be an agree to disagree situation for me. I am going to avoid TS products made in china. If it looks like they are making that move for their entire product line I will take my name off the mailing list.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mentioned looking at small brands that do it themselves (Railcar) and others that are sticking with the Made in America pledge (Freenote Cloth among others). They countered that Railcar will always be small and that Freenote uses the same factories they do in the U.S.

It appears to be an agree to disagree situation for me. I am going to avoid TS products made in china. If it looks like they are making that move for their entire product line I will take my name off the mailing list.

Railcar, Freenote, Rogue Territory, 3sixteen and a few other brands choose to keep production here in the US because they know that it's important to their customers. If they outsourced their product overseas they'd probably lose a lot of customers. Yes, they're denim companies, but they still market and sell clothing. These companies also do not crowdfund their projects, which is what TS relies upon to get stuff off the ground. Saying that Railcar will always be small almost sounds like a backhanded insult. Steven @ Railcar started his company from nothing and grew his company to what it is now and he's a firm believer in keeping his stuff MiUSA. The difference between Railcar and most other companies is that he and his crew do everything in-house and do not rely on a third-party manufacturer. I get it, TS has grown by leaps and bounds but it was on the message of "proudly made in California."

Bryanb55

Reaction score
Agreed and agreed. You can't build a company on a specific ethic and then change course, citing everything that is wrong with what you were doing.

rpiotr01

Reaction score
I was going to email Mahar about this but if it's a canned response I don't see the point. Maybe it's worth just putting my two cents in anyway.

Like it or not, "made in China" is synonymous with cost cutting, not quality or authenticity. And as stated above, it's especially jarring when a brand was built on a "made in the first world" identity and ethic and then decides to change it.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Maybe their core customers won't care. Or maybe they'll wind up like JCrew, having to have constant sales to move overpriced product.

ricedaddy

Reaction score
At least Everlane has a price point that is more fitting to their Made in China business model. I can't justify paying TS Made in USA prices on imported products.

I agree, can't justify the price. A shame cause TS really does make great products

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm happy with the TS stuff I have thus far. Agreed, I would always prefer MIUSA. I mean even Gustin can do it..

stevefok

Reaction score
I agree with what other members said, many of us including myself love TS not only becuz the prodcut, but also becuz of the branding, proudly made in US & Portugal and the lifestyle it represents.

I am not saying chinese made products can't be good, as a chinese, I saw many MiChina prodcuts with proper QC can be pretty darn good, look at SuitSupply, GrantStone and the USD55 Natrual Indigo denims by "SauceZhan" that make many people on "raw denim @ reddit" trying to get one. When you made your products in China, people will judge your prodcuts at a whole different angle, much more on the price/performance raito.

Take my made in portugal Blackwatch Yosemite shirt that I love so much as an example, if the future MiChina yosemite shirt is the same price, I will probably just get a blackwatch flannel from Uniqlo for USD30(Non-sale price).

Last edited:

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how is the TS Merino Henley? Price seems fair and not too much higher than other brands out there. I'm unsure of my size though...

stevefok

Reaction score
Why is Portugal somehow okay but China isn't?

The products can be equally good. However, if they are with with the same price. People will start questioning becasue China has a much lower labor cost and preception of value.

Same question why people are willing to pay USD200 for a Japanese denim but I doubt anyone would pay USD100 for a Chinese denim.

mistersparkle

Reaction score
Following what stevefok said, because you associate "Made in Portugal" with Old World Europe and artisans. It may not be the actual case, but that's what comes to mind for many.

I know there are some quality factories in China, like the ones producing technical outerwear, but there's an element of disposability to the "Made in China" label along with the generalisation that all Chinese factories are the same sweatshop. And as consumers, it's hard to shake that (irrational) sentiment, especially when marketers hammered MUSA in our heads for the past 10 years or so.

On a lighter note, if anyone is in SF, they're doing a small release thing for the Waypoint Collection tomorrow, Thursday 6-9pm at their Valencia shop.

stevefok

Reaction score
Following what stevefok said, because you associate "Made in Portugal" with Old World Europe and artisans. It may not be the actual case, but that's what comes to mind for many.

I know there are some quality factories in China, like the ones producing technical outerwear, but there's an element of disposability to the "Made in China" label along with the generalisation that all Chinese factories are the same sweatshop. And as consumers, it's hard to shake that (irrational) sentiment, especially when marketers hammered MUSA in our heads for the past 10 years or so.

On a lighter note, if anyone is in SF, they're doing a small release thing for the Waypoint Collection tomorrow, Thursday 6-9pm at their Valencia shop.

Yea, but when it comes to manufacting location, its all about preception.

To be clear, I am not trying to bad mouth TS as I am a huge fan of TS products, actually I just made another order last week and thinking to back another workshop order. Just want to share my point of view as a loyal customer and want to see TS can growth steadily.

And can't wait to see the Waypoint collectinn and the remaining prodcuts of the indigo selvage series.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads