1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by taylorstitch, Jun 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. mikegnthensome

mikegnthensome Senior member

@gaseousclay you can rest assured the factory in Portugal is family run and choosen for a specific reason. With our model of constantly shifting SKUs and short run production numbers, it actually doesn't make that much economic sense to not manufacture outside of America, unless our fabrics are sourced from that region and the quality of the factory is top notch.

While I do hear the sentiments of the MIA comments on this thread, when you look at taxes, duties, and all the other associated costs, we're not manufacturing outside of America to take jobs away. There are just factories that make more sense in our supply chain and if the quality / wages are fair, then to keep our prices from skyrocketing (which people seem to think we're expensive already for MIA) then we're forced to make decisions that's best for our customers and company.

Happy to go in-depth further or write up a blog post on all the factories.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. mikegnthensome

@th3buhbuh same fabric exactly. The difference is in the styling and cut of the jacket. The maritime is really a shirt jacket that you'll wear a t-shirt under and be ready to go or possibly layer but it would only be the outside layer on a medium-ish cold day.

The submariner is our take on the classic ancestral forebearer to your burly peacoat, built for versatility. It's got pockets and will def. be worn as a jacket, not as fitted to your body as the Maritime. But the fabric is the same so it's really what you think stylewise / purposewise serves the most sense in your closet.

2 people like this.
  3. mikegnthensome

Probably b/c we live in such a temperate climate :) ... Drop me a DM (mikeg@taylorstitch.com) as it's hard to keep track of everything on Styleforum and it will remind me to check in with our head of production and see what's good.

4. mikegnthensome

@oynag @Medoc problem is in production timelines and sample sizes. We are trying to avoid mishaps where we create a new style, there is a ton of hype and then the sizing/production run isn't on size or has a small hiccup once we move into production.

I do hear you on that... Let me (i feel like a broken record) check w/ our production head and see what we can do.

1 person likes this.
  5. mikegnthensome

@th3buhbuh you may just get your wish... sometime very soon. But I'd love to see us mix up outerwear a bit more.

1 person likes this.
  6. mikegnthensome

@noodulz Maritime Shirt jacket is a more versatile piece that fits more people's closet than the Submariner. Depends on what you usually wear as your outerlayer... A lot of it comes down to personal preference but I just know for a fact that Maritime Shirt Jacket fits easily into lots of peoples closet. The Submariner is more of a casual peacoat... on social I put it like "This revamped classic Navy-issued jacket will keep you warm, dry, and lookin' a lot neater than your old peacoat."

just holler if you need any help bud.
    -mg

7. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

I got the Loch short - definitely nice. I'm a fan :) I'm assuming the jackets have not gone out though.

Honestly, I'd like to hear about the factories just because I'm intrigued - no other reason.

Jeez...I quoted you a lot, man. I'm looking forward to being surprised. My wallet may not be, but it will deal. Thanks for the updates.

8. orionz06

orionz06 Active Member

Finally got these sorted out. Didn't wanna post too much during the process as TS was responding more than adequately. Got the boots and had issues that took a bit to get resolved but TS and Rancourt did pull through.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

What kind of stuff are you thinking you'd want? I feel like that sometimes, but then I draw a blank on what I'd actually want or need. I'm sure I have holes in my wardrobe, but I also have a lot of staples that I use for work that unusual things probably would not work for.

10. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Active Member

Well that sounds good and all, making things in the US is a choice brands make based on their values. It's hard to find good factories and suppliers domestically. It's inconvenient. Yet if more companies follow suit based on your success (There is certainly a demand for Made in USA goods) then you can be the force that drives change... not just a follower. Yes, it's more profitable to make sweaters overseas (like Turkey) given the lower labor cost and quite frankly more factories making knits over there. .. and maybe you'll sell more sweaters in the short term with a lower price point. In the mean time, your core supporters who started purchasing from Taylor Stitch in the beginning (because you were crafting things in a local way in California) will start to lose faith and in the end you can decide to maintain your values which is what a brand set off to do in the first place or sell out to keep investors happy.

Just my 2 cents, I think making some things overseas like suits in Portugal and sourcing some unique special fabrics from a variety of locations is a pretty cool idea. To barely see any products made in USA or California anymore is disappointing.

The product looks exceptional BTW, just hoping for a little more soul. I can buy a sweater made in Turkey at Zara... and I don't have to wait 2 months for it. I was hoping that TS is where I could pay a little more to buy a sweater made in the USA.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  11. Medoc

Medoc Senior member

It's difficult to come up with a collection or group of products I want now that you mention it. I guess I've wanted a jacket from TS that I could wear to the office (very casual office setting), or out at night socially. Not like a workwear oriented project jacket or shirt jacket etc. That's been #1 on my list for awhile. The moto jacket was not my style but I did think it was a very cool release for those it appealed to and clearly had a ton of demand. Maybe a TS take on an MA-1 style jacket? I don't know, I may be straying too far from their wheelhouse. I just know there is more cool outerwear to explore in addition to the core classics. More of the Basics section like the hoodies, crewnecks, henleys, etc. I still buy a ton from TS including the chinos, T's, and shirts, so they're still doing plenty good in my opinion.

12. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

I think TS does pretty well when it comes to variety but there's always room for improvement. TS tends to release stuff the same way that Gustin releases stuff and that is they seem to live within the sphere of SF and don't always take into account those of us that live in frigid climates. The Maritime collection might work for some that are into the nautical look but might be impractical for people who regularly experience subzero temps. It took some poking and prodding to get Gustin to release lined jackets so it would only seem natural that TS does the same thing.

WIth that said, I just hope TS doesn't try to market and sell too much too fast the way Gustin does. I realize that Gustin is trying to branch out but I don't really like a lot of what they're selling anymore. Whereas, I think TS tends to put a little more thought into their campaigns so that their clothing is stylish but functional. Has TS ever done vests before? I'd like to see something like a Glacier shirt in a sashiko fabric, like the one Rogue Territory released not too long ago.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  13. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

I think they did one a year or two ago? Wouldn't have been something I was interested but I vaugely remember one in grey

14. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

First wear of Sundown shirt
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

The maritime vest from two years ago was a navy or gray zip vest (wool with yosemite style chamois lining). Three or four (before my time at least) they had a button wool vest (muir vest) that I'd love them to bring back.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  16. Medoc

Medoc Senior member

They made a beautiful vest in grey wool with blue lining that was a big hit. I have one in size XL that has sat in my closet unworn for two years because I decided I wasn't really a vest guy. That kind of product release is heading in the right direction though. I'm sure they will blow us away in a week or two with a new drop.

17. pima1234

pima1234 Senior member

Does anyone know when the The Democratic Chino in British Khaki is scheduled for?

There's no information on the website about it now.

I backed it in July.

18. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

Long haul in olive canvas.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. pima1234

pima1234 Senior member

20. ILDenim

ILDenim Member

I bought a pair a few weeks ago and there was an issue with them. The sizing was all wrong. TS told me they were issuing a recall on them and refunded my money.

Give them a call.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    2 people like this.