• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taxi vs. driving drunk

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
City/Suburban life has perks, does it not?

City life yes. . . suburban life does not. When I lived in the suburbs, it was impossible to go out without a DD. Taxis were way too expensive to go that far, sometimes even refusing because there was no way they'd pick up a fare on the way back into the city.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I don't ever want to get a DUI. That said, I have this problem with the fact I could be over the legal limit, and abso-damn-lutley drive better than the 88 year old woman that drove into the wall of my business three weeks ago.
I didn't know you lived in Florida
confused.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never, ever hired a cab because I thought I was too drunk to drive.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^That either means you're a complete idiot or you don't drink very much.

Have seen far too much stupidity to consider drinking and driving. Working at a bar was almost enough to make me want to avoid roads altogether on fri/sat nights.

emeralds

Reaction score
^ agreed.

so many people driving drunk on the road. it's terrifying. worst thing is most can attest to such a claim, because many have been that person, including myself.

I don't even know how it happened, but I ended up at a stop sign in a residential neighborhood and somehow passed out with my foot on the brake the entire time.

woke up to the sound of rapping on the window by an officer. i won't go on, but I'll say the outcome was quite surprising. In the best way, of course.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Minkous
When i go out with my friends we always have to take someone to be the Designated Driver because we live about 30mins from the city where all the decent bars/clubs are. A cab ride would cost a fortune, and if we dont have a D.D. then whoever drank the least gets a few hours to sober up before he drives us home (usually one of us will only have like 2 beers).

I think it's possible to get a DUI even though you've only had two beers... I know a lady who got a DUI and all she had was two glasses of wine.

racetrack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
I think it's possible to get a DUI even though you've only had two beers... I know a lady who got a DUI and all she had was two glasses of wine.

She was probably a terrible driver to begin with.
blush.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
^That either means you're a complete idiot or you don't drink very much.

Have seen far too much stupidity to consider drinking and driving. Working at a bar was almost enough to make me want to avoid roads altogether on fri/sat nights.

I doubt there are many people that actually hire taxis if they have access to their own car. For example in L.A. where everyone owns a car, I never see that many taxis, but I am sure there are millions of people drinking every night.

When you worked at the bar, you actually saw everyone leave your bar in a taxi? After you had a few drinks on the job, you actually hired a cab too? I doubt it.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DUI's are big money and help justify budgets. The numbers almost have to go up as to justify budgets and make money.

I think that either sobriety checkpoints are expensive to run or that they are not getting enough DUI's around where I live. They recently did some massive crackdown on seat belts. It had to be a huge moneymaker. I was not caught so have no idea how much the tickets were but they had officers at many intersections and toll booths. I think some were still in the academy.

Don't drink and drive no matter how you feel about it. The penalties are going up and the odds are against you.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One is an asshole of the highest order to drive drunk while refusing a taxi because of the cost.

Hazad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by syracuse1976
Is this a serious question?

I was praying it was a troll.

Where I grew up in South Jersey, we had some D.D. program in the name of a kid who graduated from the Naval Academy and got killed by a drunk driver while driving home just after graduation. All the local bars participated and whoever the D.D. was would get free soda or whatever he was drinking (non-alcoholic of course) throughout the night. It was definitely a nice gesture and made being the D.D. a little less annoying.

Edit: Realized it was called the Hero Campaign after some Googling.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Always walking or Taxi, I guess it's a good thing for being in NYC.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
Always walking or Taxi, I guess it's a good thing for being in NYC.

those type of cities/places don`t count. most people don`t even drive when they`re sober.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads