• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taxes and visiting tailors

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick questions from a friend. He wants to catch Ambrosi the next time he passes through New York and he understands that the price is a flat $1,000 plus sales tax.

1) Is the Ambrosi price a flat $1,000 per pair of trousers? Is that also the price in Naples?

2) My friend is assuming the $1,000 includes VAT in Italy. If so, isn't it right that he not pay any New York sales tax as he assumes it is correct for him to pay sales tax or VAT in only one country?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Quick questions from a friend. He wants to catch Ambrosi the next time he passes through New York and he understands that the price is a flat $1,000 plus sales tax.

1) Is the Ambrosi price a flat $1,000 per pair of trousers? Is that also the price in Naples?

2) My friend is assuming the $1,000 includes VAT in Italy. If so, isn't it right that he not pay any New York sales tax as he assumes it is correct for him to pay sales tax or VAT in only one country?

Great to hear from you again, pidal!

1: Ambrosi, believe it or not, does not use US currency in Italy. The nerve.

2: $1000 per pant *leg* (so $3k for me!). You really shouldn't be spending that much if you have to quibble over legalities.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Good thing there's no children starving in Africa or anything like that...

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What an interesting question.

I am not involved with the world of taxation on a daily basis but someone else who is may add more up to date information - meanwhile:

Typically if someone in the USA sells with a physical presence then nexus is established and sales tax is owed. So yes, sales tax is owed in New York in your example.

I do not shop in Naples so I do not know what the price is there - you should ask the seller directly.

I have looked at a number of UK websites and they tend to state prices with VAT and then note that VAT will be subtracted if shipped outside the taxing area. I buy silk from silk mills in England and they do not charge VAT but I pay VAT and customs duty here in Thailand.

Most likely VAT is not included in the $1,000 and the New York tax on top of the $1,000 sales price is correct. Again check with the seller to confirm and a New York state tax accountant.

If I sell to New York I do not charge sales tax as I am not located there although typically states will have a users tax exactly equal to sales tax which the buyer is supposed to pay voluntarily. State revenue departments will go after those who evade sales tax on big ticket items like planes aggressively.

If I did have a physical presence in New York I would charge sales tax regardless of the VAT that I paid in Thailand, as there no connection between the two.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks David. I had similar thoughts, but from my basic understanding of US tax law, I thought there might be a problem if the items are also priced at $1,000 (or less) in Italy or in the EU. From my limited knowledge based on Edward Green sales, they state prices inclusive of VAT (so Edward Green lowers the price for US buyers then charges shipping). So, I thought my friend might be charged for both Italy VAT and US sales tax, whether or not VAT is actually paid in Italy.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Thanks David. I had similar thoughts, but from my basic understanding of US tax law, I thought there might be a problem if the items are also priced at $1,000 (or less) in Italy or in the EU. From my limited knowledge based on Edward Green sales, they state prices inclusive of VAT (so Edward Green lowers the price for US buyers then charges shipping). So, I thought my friend might be charged for both Italy VAT and US sales tax, whether or not VAT is actually paid in Italy.

No problem with US sales tax which actually is typically not a US sales tax but a state tax with slightly different rules for each state or city or county tax. I do not live in New York, but I seem to recall someone posting about a possible exemption from sales tax in New York for clothing - but I am not sure - hopefully a New Yorker with recent experience will post.

SALT (State & Local) practices are becoming more interesting and important.

If your friend is charged for Italian VAT and it was not paid - we start to drift from a sales tax question to shall we diplomatically say an operations issue....

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no sales tax exemption for clothes in NYC anymore.

For a face to face transaction like this, a tailor is charging you what he wants. If you want to bargain with him, good luck. Arguing his cost structure will have limited success.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
For a face to face transaction like this, a tailor is charging you what he wants. If you want to bargain with him, good luck. Arguing his cost structure will have limited success.

+1

I suspect that the sales tax goes directly back to Naples...

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
There's no sales tax exemption for clothes in NYC anymore.....
Thank you for the update. I have also heard (a long time ago) that in Ireland artists and writers do not pay income tax - I wonder if artisanal tailors would get the exemption and pass it along to their clients.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
If your friend is charged for Italian VAT and it was not paid - we start to drift from a sales tax question to shall we diplomatically say an operations issue....
I think this is in fact the issue and not an intellectual discussion of use taxes in a mobile age.

Just to close this off, does anyone know how much Ambrosi charges? Couldn't find it anywhere on the forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads