• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tax Season - Like Christmas, but you get robbed instead [2010 Edition]

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
It's looming right around the corner. some want to get a quick start, others like the chills and thrills of waiting until 11:59 on D-Day. Let's talk about the [anti-constitutional] theft of our hard-earned (for some) money Do you file your own ? Online ? Agent ? Company takes care of it ? Evasive strategies ? Do you expect a big refund
bigstar[1].gif
or a massive bill of collection
ffffuuuu.gif
I've done something potentially brilliant (on the other hand it could be potentially disastrous) this year as a little experiment. Let's share stories !

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sarcasm.gif
We should keep DOD but dissolve the rest of the federal government and have a 2% flat federal tax.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
so you're expecting a negative return, huh?

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually no, I always overpay and get a nice big refund.
bigstar[1].gif

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
my attempt this year is ultimate tax evasion -- 0% and nothing due. one lump sum refunds always get spent immediately, i find, so it's better to get a little top off regularly, for met at least

zbelden00

Reaction score
purchased home and paid interest for ~5 months
purchased energy efficient appliances for home
paid student loan interest all year

purchased car in August - was 2 years used - any deductibles there?

regardless, from first three alone I expect 1-2k in refund

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
excellent ! we're aiming here for everyone on SF and their families to get refunds, that damned obamanator will have to run the show without my precious pennies.

any idea where i can buy "energy efficient" stickers for my appliances ?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not expecting a refund, but I shouldn't owe the Fed anything.

In the past I have filed my own taxes, usually online. This year I may pay a local accountant to go over everything. It's so effing complicated and such a giant pain **********.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
was the online service free ? i know taxact.com offers free [federal] filing and who cares about state i move so much anyway

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use an accounting company to do all bookkeeping and tax preparation for me both businesses and personal.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
was the online service free ? i know taxact.com offers free [federal] filing and who cares about state i move so much anyway

No, I used H&R Block online and I think it's only free if you're poor and don't have any deductions. I make more than the federal poverty guidelines so I've had to pay. I also file state and local at the same time and I have to pay for that.

It's not very expensive though, less than a hundred for the whole package as I recall.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only used an accountant once. He f'd up my return, earned me an audit, did not want to have anything to do with the audit or stand behind his return.

I have filed my own, online, ever since. I can't quite imagine what I'd be missing - my sources of revenue and deductions are pretty damn simple.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Using same accountant I have for several years, expecting a big assed refund. Noticed I gave too much to charity this year (my damn soft heart), had a hella pile of pictures as I photo document all Good Will donations, such as my clothes that no longer fit, etc., really fear no audit as my return is fairly simple and I will always pass on a smallish deduction if it's in the least bit dodgy.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
E-file, every year. Should be a good year for me, in terms of a refund. I made less than 20k last year, paid interest on student loans, and some other things. Although I have to file for federal, Illinois, and California taxes, which is kind of a *****.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
To those SFers who are married with no dependents, do you filed jointly or separately?

I got married last year and don't know what to do. I've always done my own taxes, but will probably go to an accountant for the first time in my life to run the numbers to see what's best for my wife and I.

Both of us work and earn similar salaries. Both of us have a load of deductions: both of us owned homes in 2010 so we each have property taxes, mortgage interest, plus a load of charitable deductions. I also sold property in 2010 for the first time and have never filed capital gains taxes before. It's just a more complicated tax year for me so I feel more comfortable going with an accountant on this one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads