• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tax questions

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
-_-; this is dumb. I should probably call the tax center tomorrow instead of posting here, but I want to get this done now.

My parents are foreigners. I am a US citizen.

The question asks "can you be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's federal return?"

Do they mean US federal return? Am I still a dependent?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Do your parents file a U.S. return?

yeah - do they?

If they file a federal return and claim you as a dependent, then you can't claim your exemption.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
run your numbers both ways - your parents claiming you as a dependent and you filing on your own (assuming you qualify as a "dependent"). See which is higher and run with it.

I had to do the same for my mother-in-law and brother-in-law. She could claim him for one year and I figured she saved more by claiming him as a dependent for that year so we calculated what he would have made on his own, mom wrote him a check for what he lost and everyone made out.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
they file a foreign tax return.

I get back a bit more, but I read somewhere (in one of the instructions) that to be an independent you have to be 23 and support yourself financially completely (which I am not and don't)

However I won't be claimed as a dependent to any US citizen.

-_- so confused at what I have to write down.

I think I get back a bit more if I file as an independent, but its possible they won't accept me as one and if so it'll take a hellofa lot longer if I write myself down as one.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
-_-; this is dumb. I should probably call the tax center tomorrow instead of posting here, but I want to get this done now.

My parents are foreigners. I am a US citizen.

The question asks "can you be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's federal return?"

Do they mean US federal return? Am I still a dependent?

Originally Posted by indesertum
they file a foreign tax return.

I get back a bit more, but I read somewhere (in one of the instructions) that to be an independent you have to be 23 and support yourself financially completely (which I am not and don't)

However I won't be claimed as a dependent to any US citizen.

-_- so confused at what I have to write down.

I think I get back a bit more if I file as an independent, but its possible they won't accept me as one and if so it'll take a hellofa lot longer if I write myself down as one.

If you are over 24 and make more than $3600 or so, no one can claim you as a dependant.

At any rate the definitive answer to these questions can almost certainly be resolved at www.irs.gov

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kendall.luther
You can ANONYMOUSLY ask an IRS agent who will tell you the truth. You will not be giving any personal info. If you try to cheat you'll get in big trouble.

This is true, kind-of sort-of. The last I heard, the IRS will try to give you accurate information based on what you tell them, but they are not liable and you are not absolved of any penalties or interest if you go off their bad information.

Anyway, you can generally get them on the phone- check the irs.gov site for contact numbers.

This is wrong. First off it wouldnt make any sense for it to be impossible to be independant until five years after reaching the age of majority. Secondly, it is not required that you be 100% financially independant to claim yourself as independant. I'm not sure, but I want to say you can be claimed by someone else if they supply 50% or more of your support.*

Bottom line, it sounds like you are totally ok to claim yourself as independant.

* it is also my understanding that if you can be claimed as dependant by someone else, you cannot claim yourself, regardless if that other person claims you or not.

At any rate the definitive answer to these questions can almost certainly be resolved at www.irs.gov

The 50% rule sounds right to me - in conjunction with a number of other tests, most notably the one about whether you live with them. iirc, a taxpayer can claim a friend of the family as a dependent if they live with the taxpayer and I'm not sure that the 50% criterion applies there.

I would say that you'd be fine to claim yourself as independent, based on what I've seen thus far.

Where's taxgenius69 when you need him, anyway?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If parents are claimed as dependents (assuming they make less than $3,600),they don't have to file a U.S. return,correct?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You are claiming your parent(s) as dependants? This is unrelated to the OP, correct?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You are claiming your parent(s) as dependants? This is unrelated to the OP, correct?

Yes,claiming my parents as dependents. It is not related to OP.
Just want to make sure that I am doing it right,they never filed a U.S. tax return as they just moved here and are unemployed at the moment.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Yes,claiming my parents as dependents. It is not related to OP.
Just want to make sure that I am doing it right,they never filed a U.S. tax return as they just moved here and are unemployed at the moment.

Ok, I'll walk you through the analysis:

1. Was the person a US citizen, US national, or a resident of the US, Canada, or Mexico for any part of the year? If no, you cannot claim them as dependant. If yes, proceed to #2.

2. Did the person have gross taxable income of less than 3700? (I'm not sure what the current amount here is, but in 2008 it was 3500). If no, you cannot claim them. If yes, go to #3.

3. Did you provide more than half ther person's total support for the year? If no, but you, in conjunction with one or more other people did provide more than half of the support, you can possibly agree for one of those peopel to claim your parents (PM me if this is the case). If yes, go to #4.

4. Were your parents married at the end of 2009? If no, you can claim them. If yes you cannot claim them.*

* But you can can answer no to this question if the person is filing a joint return to claim a refund and no tax liability would exist for either spouse if they had filed separate returns.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
The rule is to not allow you to be double-claimed. If your parents are not claiming you and getting the credit on a US tax return then you are eligible for the deduction for yourself. If you work and make income that is high enough to qualify for the deduction then you take it. The gifts your parents may give you are outside the issue. Your inability to live within your means and the need for you to spend those parental gifts towards your sustenance are not relevant. (the last sentence is not a jab, maybe it could be stated in a different way....)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads