Tax Question: Help a newly married brother out...

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by imightbechad, Oct 31, 2010.

1. imightbechad

imightbechad Senior member

So,

I got married in June of this year. I also just accepted a new job offer, so I'm filing out a new W-4.

Problem is, I'm the first one to fill it out as "Married Filing Jointly" and I'm totally confused. Mainly because my wife makes nearly 3x as much as I do, and my suggested "additional witholdings" are way way way too high. Like, 85% of my check each pay period.

Now, the reason it's so high is that it asks me to divide by the remaining pay periods in 2010, which is 4. If I were filing this out in December, I would be dividing by 24.

So what's the proper way to go about this? I'm not getting something...

I'm an idiot, so, apologies in advance.

Chad

2. tj100

tj100 Senior member

Hard to say without all the info (the bad news is that the super-high withholdings might be right, if you have been under-withholding all year). There's a calculator on the IRS website that breaks it down into more basic steps: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/page/0,,id=14806,00.html

3. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

So,

I got married in June of this year. I also just accepted a new job offer, so I'm filing out a new W-4.

Problem is, I'm the first one to fill it out as "Married Filing Jointly" and I'm totally confused. Mainly because my wife makes nearly 3x as much as I do, and my suggested "additional witholdings" are way way way too high. Like, 85% of my check each pay period.

Now, the reason it's so high is that it asks me to divide by the remaining pay periods in 2010, which is 4. If I were filing this out in December, I would be dividing by 24.

So what's the proper way to go about this? I'm not getting something...

I'm an idiot, so, apologies in advance.

Chad

How does it feel to be a kept man?

4. Valor

Valor Senior member

I'm Jealous.

5. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

damn good I would imagine.

6. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

OP - does your combined income push you (as a couple) into a higher tax bracket or make AMT an issue if it previously was not?