• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tax-free holiday in texas!!

vero_group

Reaction score
Hey, it's a sales tax holiday here in Texas this weekend and most clothes under $100.00 are free from sales tax Friday through Sunday. That's a savings of 8.25% here in Dallas. Being a clothing dealer on eBay, I of course went shopping tonight. Went to Nordstrom Rack in Plano, Texas and stocked up on some good things for me to resell fairly profitably -- they were all 50% to 75% off last marked down price.

One item I purchased was a white Barba dress shirt. It is clearly done in the Napoli style with thick buttons and all. It's my first Barba purchase. My questions for the wiser gentlemen on the board:

1. How much does a Barba dress shirt typically retail for?
2. Is Barba considered a high quality marque?
3. Should I resell the shirt on eBay or keep it for myself?

Thanks.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Logan:

Barbas are first quality shirts. They retail between $250 and 300. I heard somehere that the company is owned by a relative of the family that owns Kiton.

Barbas are a bit fitted, but not quite as much as a Brioni or Paul Smith. If it fits you, I'd keep it.

A Harris could tell you what it would fetch on E-Bay if you decide to sell it.

vero_group

Reaction score
I tried it on and decided it fits. I'm keeping it. I took a look at the receipt and here is the deal I got: The last marked price was $49.97. The sale was 50% off of that. There was no sales tax. So, I got the shirt for $24.99. Not too shabby for a $200 to $300 Barba shirt, eh?

:)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking about good deals, here in Cambridge MA (where I am now,) Stonestreets is having a 75% off sale. I recently got a John Varvatos messenger bag for $160 (from $650), and a Borrelli shirt for $75 (down from $300.)

vero_group

Reaction score
$75 for Borrelli is very good. I can't seem to find them below $120 here in Dallas at the Neiman-Marcus Last Call. You gotta deal.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. How much does a Barba dress shirt typically retail for?
2. Is Barba considered a high quality marque?
3. Should I resell the shirt on eBay or keep it for myself?

Thanks.
Barba shirts typically are in the 250-300 range, a shade cheaper than Borrelli. As stated above, they are neapolitan in origin, and feature all the trademark neapolitan shirt features: thick mop buttons with the 3 point stitch, wonderful fabrics and large collars. Naturlaut showed me a beautiful Barba shirt with a interesting pattern and VERY large, high collar that had a two button neck closure (much like Borrelli does). I'm sure he can speak much more eloquently and intelligently on the merits of Barba than I. I'd definitely keep it, although he would urge you to seel it since it's a white shirt.

vero_group

Reaction score
Yes, I have noticed that white shirts get a price premium on eBay. So a white Barba could sell particularly well. I wonder if it would go for $100 or more. That would be a 300% return on my investment within 7 days. That's better than the stock market these days. But, I'm torn between enjoying it or monetizing it. I still haven't worn it yet so it still might find its way to eBay or an off-site buyer should a compelling price appear... :)

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello from Libby Montana.. I've been fly fishing for the last few days - it's been lots of fun.

NWT Barba shirts should sell between $90 and $120 on ebay. The cheaper you sell it the faster it will go. $24.99 is a heck of a deal.

Vero_Group, what's your seller ID??

vero_group

Reaction score
Would you be shocked if I told you my eBay ID was vero_group?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
What size is it? I might be interested...My white Borrelli came back with a barely noticeable stain the cleaners can't get out but still bugs me enough that I'll shift the shirt to "under sweaters only"...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That does seem like a very good deal you got there on that shirt. By the way I was wondering how much would a new Magli belt go for on eBay? Thank you.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size is it? I might be interested...My white Borrelli came back with a barely noticeable stain the cleaners can't get out but still bugs me enough that I'll shift the shirt to "under sweaters only"...
I HATE it when that happens......

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I "solved" it by buying a new Cifonelli...Fabric was VERY soft- collar nice balance between spread and point...

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was quite impressed with both the Cifonelli shirts and suits that they had at Bergdorf recently. You might also try Maffeis, an obscure but also excellent shirt maker from Italy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads