1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tax-free holiday in texas!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vero_group, Aug 2, 2003.

1. vero_group

vero_group Senior Member

Hey, it's a sales tax holiday here in Texas this weekend and most clothes under $100.00 are free from sales tax Friday through Sunday. That's a savings of 8.25% here in Dallas. Being a clothing dealer on eBay, I of course went shopping tonight. Went to Nordstrom Rack in Plano, Texas and stocked up on some good things for me to resell fairly profitably -- they were all 50% to 75% off last marked down price.

One item I purchased was a white Barba dress shirt. It is clearly done in the Napoli style with thick buttons and all. It's my first Barba purchase. My questions for the wiser gentlemen on the board:

1. How much does a Barba dress shirt typically retail for?
    2. Is Barba considered a high quality marque?
    3. Should I resell the shirt on eBay or keep it for myself?

Thanks.

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Logan:

Barbas are first quality shirts. They retail between $250 and 300. I heard somehere that the company is owned by a relative of the family that owns Kiton.

Barbas are a bit fitted, but not quite as much as a Brioni or Paul Smith. If it fits you, I'd keep it.

A Harris could tell you what it would fetch on E-Bay if you decide to sell it.

3. vero_group

vero_group Senior Member

I tried it on and decided it fits. I'm keeping it. I took a look at the receipt and here is the deal I got: The last marked price was $49.97. The sale was 50% off of that. There was no sales tax. So, I got the shirt for $24.99. Not too shabby for a $200 to $300 Barba shirt, eh?

:)

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Talking about good deals, here in Cambridge MA (where I am now,) Stonestreets is having a 75% off sale. I recently got a John Varvatos messenger bag for $160 (from $650), and a Borrelli shirt for $75 (down from $300.)

5. vero_group

vero_group Senior Member

$75 for Borrelli is very good. I can't seem to find them below $120 here in Dallas at the Neiman-Marcus Last Call. You gotta deal.

6. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

Barba shirts typically are in the 250-300 range, a shade cheaper than Borrelli. As stated above, they are neapolitan in origin, and feature all the trademark neapolitan shirt features: thick mop buttons with the 3 point stitch, wonderful fabrics and large collars. Naturlaut showed me a beautiful Barba shirt with a interesting pattern and VERY large, high collar that had a two button neck closure (much like Borrelli does). I'm sure he can speak much more eloquently and intelligently on the merits of Barba than I. I'd definitely keep it, although he would urge you to seel it since it's a white shirt.

7. vero_group

vero_group Senior Member

Yes, I have noticed that white shirts get a price premium on eBay. So a white Barba could sell particularly well. I wonder if it would go for $100 or more. That would be a 300% return on my investment within 7 days. That's better than the stock market these days. But, I'm torn between enjoying it or monetizing it. I still haven't worn it yet so it still might find its way to eBay or an off-site buyer should a compelling price appear... :)

8. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Hello from Libby Montana.. I've been fly fishing for the last few days - it's been lots of fun.

NWT Barba shirts should sell between $90 and $120 on ebay. The cheaper you sell it the faster it will go. $24.99 is a heck of a deal.

Vero_Group, what's your seller ID??

9. vero_group

vero_group Senior Member

Would you be shocked if I told you my eBay ID was vero_group?

10. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

What size is it? I might be interested...My white Borrelli came back with a barely noticeable stain the cleaners can't get out but still bugs me enough that I'll shift the shirt to "under sweaters only"...

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

That does seem like a very good deal you got there on that shirt. By the way I was wondering how much would a new Magli belt go for on eBay? Thank you.

12. Thracozaag

I HATE it when that happens......

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

I "solved" it by buying a new Cifonelli...Fabric was VERY soft- collar nice balance between spread and point...

14. Thracozaag

I was quite impressed with both the Cifonelli shirts and suits that they had at Bergdorf recently. You might also try Maffeis, an obscure but also excellent shirt maker from Italy.