• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taupe suit?

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Now, there is a solid chance that this is just irrational prejudice, so take it with a grain of salt.I despise that color in wool. If you want that color (and let's call it "cream" or "fawn"), please, get it in linen or silk. Those are elegant classics. In wool, it just looks borrowed from the (queen-sized) ladies department.

Hmmmm. I happen to have two summer suits in these shades (Minnis 8ounce super 100s and cashmere from the Finesse book). They seem quite satisfactory to me. Somehow I doubt you'll find anything too similar in the queen-sized ladies department, but I am not terribly familiar with such emporia.
sarcasm.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
A normal tan wool is a nice choice, gabardine even better. The tan should be on the dark side (for tan). It's not really a year round suit, IMO, but it's an elegant choice.

Gab is sweet but the weave is tight and the suit will be too hot for the dead of summer.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How would you differentiate the shadings between taupe, beige, tan, fawn, et al? I suspect some of us may have somewhat different colors (or at least tones) in mind about this range.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the only thing I dislike more than the color taupe is the word taupe. I agree with Manton, lets call it fawn or something.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
"Taupe" in my mind is the color of a doctor's office waiting room wall, or else a ladies wool suit from a place like Talbot's. It's "whiter" and creamier -- maybe grayer -- than a true man's tan.

The color qua color is not awful on a man, I just hate it in wool. I would wear the very lightest light grays in wool, but not the lightest tans. The three shades of tan in Lesser Tropical, for instance, are all A-OK with me -- none too light -- but I got the middle one because I thought it was the richest.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I think the only thing I dislike more than the color taupe is the word taupe. I agree with Manton, lets call it fawn or something.

+1

Here is a decent "name that color" resource. Some of the names are nutty, but the site provides a way to talk about specific colors.

The problem with the word "taupe" is that it means gray-brown, and browns vary a lot. Brown is "any of a group of colors between red and yellow in hue, of medium to low lightness, and of moderate to low saturation." There are nearly as many browns as there are highly-saturated colors. A light yellow-brown is pretty different from a light red-brown. Adding gray to them does not change this much.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there is another "Burn notice" fan, I really like the suit and especially in the setting of the show it looks right.

bn1.jpg

CodeRed

Reaction score
It's funny but I didn't know that the word "taupe" would solicit such a strong reaction from some people. Maybe there is more to this under the surface...
smack.gif

lithium180

Reaction score
I bought a second-hand tan/taupe/olive/whatever suit made by Polo (corneliani line) today. What sorts of social occasions are right to wear this suit and what kinds of tie colors and shirts do you find interesting under it? It strikes me as the kind of suit that might allow for an avenue towards more colorful shirts...

It certainly doesn't feel like something I could wear to the office though.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate taupe for no other reason than you have to be a decorator to pronounce it without flinching. Tan, putty, fawn or khaki are much nicer colors.
smile.gif

If I read Manton correctly, he would be OK with 0850 or 0851, but not 0849 or paler.

Medwards, is this http://www.hfw-huddersfield.co.uk/ha...seco=M?cate=E? the bracket you're choosing from?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads