• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taupe suit for summer wedding - shirt/tie?

ekimneems

Reaction score
Hey all - I just received my Taupe Prince of Wales suit from Thick as Thieves, which I bought for my outdoor summer wedding and I'm having some problems finding the right shirt/tie combo. I was leaning towards a blue stripe on white or blue check with either a navy or brown tie, possibly knit.

Note: The shirt is too big (sleeves are too long) in the pics, but it was the closest thing I had to what I was thinking of wearing. You can see the cuffs coming out too far, specifically on the left. Also, sloppy tying on the tie was because I was rushing, didn't use a mirror.

Notice how it looks brown/khaki in some lights and almost straight up grey in lots of sunlight.

GzNGj.jpg

wHZdU.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the suit is a pattern, consider a solid light blue shirt in a poplin and a solid colored tie that compliments the color in your suit and your complexion. It is hard to recommend a specific color without a clear accurate closeup color shot of the fabric.

I don't think you can go wrong if you think in terms of "What would Cary Grant do?"

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Going wayyyyyyy out on a limb here, but I'd rock that with a solid light pink or lavender shirt and, gasp, no tie!

If I really felt the need to wear a tie, I'd likely go with a lavender shirt and solid darker purple tie.

ekimneems

Reaction score
These are cool ideas, thanks. http://putthison.com/post/635003488/springcombo - saw this post that sorta gave me the blue stripe/brown knit idea... The only reason I'm leaning navy is because it's one of the wedding colors - it's an outdoor picnic/bbq type theme with blue gingham tablecloths and the bouquets have pops of red and yellow. Bridesmaids are doing navy dresses and I haven't finished deciding on my groomsmen's attire (was thinking navy or khaki blazer but too much navy could be overdoing it) At the same time I don't want to play it too safe... I want to stand out and look sharp

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ekimneems

At the same time I don't want to play it too safe... I want to stand out and look sharp

I would accomplish that goal by wearing a shirt (and tie if you're definite on a tie) with interesting, updated details, rather than a loud pattern. For instance, consider a shirt with a small collar (rather than a more traditional spread/point collar) and someone's suggestion for a knit tie. Another important element: what shoes?

ekimneems

Reaction score
I think I am set on a tie of some sort (some friends suggested bow tie but I've actually never worn one and am unsure).

For shoes, I just received a brand new pair of AE "Strand" cap-toe wing style in Walnut. Matching belt on the way

Pablo-T

Reaction score
I like the suit; I have a similar one and got married in a Paul Smith jobby that was similar, but more tweedy, but in a modern shape

I actually underspent, as I looked around and couldn't find a suit better than this one, which I'd bought a couple months before in a sale. So I blew a fair amount of cash on a good Paul Smith white shirt and a black/green tie (the tweed had green lines in it). I know it's boring to say "I did this, so should you," but it did work.

Whatever you do, I would suggest a (plain) white shirt, as your suit already has a pattern, and two patterns tend to be too busy. I think a black or very dark blue tie with an abstract grey/taupe would work

The shoes look great (I splashed out on some Tricker's.)

Have a great day.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you really want a pattern, ice-blue gingham and solid navy knit, maybe a grenadine, would be top-shelf, IMO. Edit: Hilditch+Key, lthough they're offering it in French/double cuff and you probably want barrel cuff. Drakes. EDIT EVEN MORE: If you prefer USA USA USA, J press has a BD gingham in a less icy blue, which they're conveniently paired with a navy knit. They also sell a navy grenadine, and best of all both are on sale.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shoreman knows whats up

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ekimneems
I think I am set on a tie of some sort (some friends suggested bow tie but I've actually never worn one and am unsure).

For shoes, I just received a brand new pair of AE "Strand" cap-toe wing style in Walnut. Matching belt on the way

Fair enough. For shirts, what about something like this:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

It has a bit of pattern, but it's all one color.

And if you can find a good one, I'd go with a dark purple knit tie or else a fairly slim tie with a navy background and lavender/purple polka dots.

I also think a brown and white stripe shirt with a solid brown knit tie could look really, really killer. Might have to go MTM on the shirt.

ekimneems

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Fair enough. For shirts, what about something like this:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

It has a bit of pattern, but it's all one color.

And if you can find a good one, I'd go with a dark purple knit tie or else a fairly slim tie with a navy background and lavender/purple polka dots.

I also think a brown and white stripe shirt with a solid brown knit tie could look really, really killer. Might have to go MTM on the shirt.

That def would look nice. I'm wondering if the old lady will veto that because purple isn't in "the color scheme" (ugh!). They also make that in a nice solid blue I see.

And I've actually been thinking of going MTM and I like the idea of maybe a smaller collar or doing some cooler stuff with the shirt rather than going crazy on patterns/colors.

I agree on the brown stripe/brown tie look too... I think I have something in the closet like that but no solid brown tie. Maybe I'll pick one up

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads