• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos in the work place?

cmrocks

Reaction score
For those of you who have tattoos, how do you find having them at the work place? I'm still in college but I've always had a special appreciation for tattoos and would love to have some work done. What I have in mind is fairly extensive because, with tattoos, I think a lot of work with a theme looks so much better than random pieces.

I'm taking geology in school with plans of working in the diamond exploration business. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt my career too bad but having tattoos probably wouldn't help. I can't see many situations in which I wouldn't be able to cover them up though.

I know Goblin and Get Smart have some decent coverage and work office jobs so I would be interested in hearing what they, and others in a similar situation, have to say.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard of some companies offering massage in the work place...

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To paraphrase the advice an advisor gave me: You'll never not get hired because you don't have tattoos, but you may not get hired because you do.

I'm a PhD economist currently in academia but moving to the feds soon. Mine are covered by clothing and I'll hesitate to get anything that can't be.

bob

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I work in a "creative environment" so the tattoos are no big deal. If I were working in a more traditional office environment I would probably keep them covered until it was very clear that my performance was exemplary and that showing so much tattooing wouldnt be a big deal to the higherups.

if you want extensive work, do a backpiece, or keep them higher up on the arm and have the work go around your shoulder area. Or your legs. I know guys that have a ton of work but even wearing a short sleeve shirt you'd never know they had anything done.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I wouldnt let any of my staff have exposed tattoos. Not an issue at the moment, but I wouldnt allow it. Doesnt fit with the image we need to portray to our clients.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I wouldnt let any of my staff have exposed tattoos. Not an issue at the moment, but I wouldnt allow it. Doesnt fit with the image we need to portray to our clients.

See, that is an excellent point. More often than not companies are worried about the inmage they would project to their clients. OP, keep that in mind. Depending on whether you will be customer facing and the type of company it may indeed be a big deal. Then again, engineers in general are considered to be a little, well, "off" and there is an expectation that you will be badly dressed anyway
tongue.gif
- "I r engineer" et.c.
But yes, get nothing you cannot cover if the need arises. Neck, face and hand tattoos are a big no-no if you want to keep all your options open (I know I know, that goes without saying but still, lol).
In short, follow Jason and Bob's advice above.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I'm an engineer. I wear long sleeves. Everyone at work knows I have them, but I keep them covered because I feel I'm not a hot-enough shot to show them at the workplace... yet.

MOCAZEN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
I'm an engineer. I wear long sleeves. Everyone at work knows I have them, but I keep them covered because I feel I'm not a hot-enough shot to show them at the workplace... yet.

Same here, but I'm in sales, not an engineer

cmrocks

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

That's good to hear. I suspose, as time goes on, people will become more and more accepting of things like tattoos as well.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Only when a judge makes a particularly stupid ruling -- which is to say, against my client -- does anyone see my butt cheek tattoo in the work environment.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a tattoo, but I would be shocked if anybody ever noticed. I usually forget that it is there myself.

If I was hiring you, it would not be an issue.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you're going to work in the "creative" industries, or in fastfood, tattoos should be covered. America, for the most part, is still very prudist. May of the people who have known me for a while were shocked to discover I have several tattoos. Unless they're your friends, I have nothing to gain by showing your ink, and much to lose.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I wonder if there is a correlation between folks with quality tattoo (as opposed to jail/kitchen tattoos) work being excellent workers in their respective jobs. Nearly everyone I know who has a LOT of well done ink tends to be extremely intelligent and very skilled at their jobs.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I wonder if there is a correlation between folks with quality tattoo (as opposed to jail/kitchen tattoos) work being excellent workers in their respective jobs. Nearly everyone I know who has a LOT of well done ink tends to be extremely intelligent and very skilled at their jobs.

There is also the fact that quality ink is time consuming and expensive. Don't know how that fits the picture, though. Maybe employers would think I am a cheap, scaredy-cat impatient wuss for having no ink
tongue.gif

As I told my wife a few weeks ago, I have her with me for street cred when we are at some sort of alternative establishment
biggrin.gif

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to work at the largest bank in Canada and I was shocked by the number of people in my Toronto office that had visibile tats. Hell, one of the 45+ yr old managers had one. That being said, we only dealt with clients and lenders over the phone. What was odd was that I never saw anything like that in the Vancouver office, it never would have flown. It's amazing how uptight Westcoast people can be.

A

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads