• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattersall check shirts: yea or nay?

dasai

Reaction score
What's the opinion on these? They seem nice for dress-casual wear, but I worry that they come off less "country gentleman" and more "British farmer". Seems like one would go great with a tweed jacket and cords, though.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarquisMagic
Classic pairings with cords and tweeds,

+1

With the right color and suit, they even look good in a business environment.

Variety is the spice of life, so don't feel limited to casual situations.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I actually like the tattersall check for business dress. I don't wear it often, but it is fun to wear on occasion. When I order my tattersall check shirts, I try to change them up a little bit by adding french cuffs and a spread collar. I try to wear them with a fairly sedate suit, plain or very small pattern.

It seems to add a different element than what you normally see. I know it isn't normal protocol, but I have plenty of "normal" shirts.

Big T

Reaction score
Well, I just took delivery of three from BB, so I guess that's a yay vote (couldn't find the style I wanted at Tractor Supply).

Flanderian

Reaction score
A handsome classic. Love 'em! Can be magical with tweed.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good simple/classic option to have for casual wear, esp. this time of year.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yea.

Also there are small scale refined versions that are great with business suits.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, I wear them in casual and business casual situations.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish I had more Tattersall check shirts.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. The nice thing about tattersall is you can vary the colors and scale for the season and formality of what you are wearing it with.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
definite yes. tattersall paired right is a very classic and eye catching look, specially at this time of the year there.

dasai

Reaction score
OK, then. In that case, where would I be able to find one off the peg in a 15" collar, for maximum value vs. price?

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) I tremendously like tattersall, in a way it's like a pocket square: buy a number of different colours and pattern sizes, and enjoy all the nice new combos you're able to make

2) I think H&K have got a sale on. At any rate, you could do a lot worse than them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads