• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tats

Nonk

Reaction score
I am surprised that there is so much support for tats on the forum. I do not know about the attitudes in the US, but in the UK, despite their current popularity among the fashion conscious youth, and their tradition in the enlisted ranks of the military, they are generally associated with the lowest orders, and are not viewed as desirable or respectable, or with any admiration.

They can also be very career limiting, avoid at all costs.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Women look great with tatts, very sexy.
LOL : you should see the woman in our company with the enormous tattoo covering her whole left calf. She's about 55, plump, and wears skirt suits every day, rain, snow, frigid temperatures, alas, alas...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(marc37 @ Jan. 24 2005,06:34) Women look great with tatts, very sexy.
LOL : you should see the woman in our company with the enormous tattoo covering her whole left calf. Â She's about 55, plump, and wears skirt suits every day, rain, snow, frigid temperatures, alas, alas...
I have known a few women (slightly) who had small tatoos just under the pant line, either on the front or back, is a way that you knew that the tatoos was there, but unless you knew her well you didn't know what the tatoo was. the amount of interest generated by this is out of all proportion to the level of atractiveness of the women, aside from her tatoo.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am surprised that there is so much support for tats on the forum. I do not know about the attitudes in the US, but in the UK, despite their current popularity among the fashion conscious youth, and their tradition in the enlisted ranks of the military, they are generally associated with the lowest orders, and are not viewed as desirable or respectable, or with any admiration.

They can also be very career limiting, avoid at all costs.
I would say that 10 years ago that was exactly the situation in the US, as well. I don't think it is so, anymore, but I might be wrong.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totally misread the title. I thought this was about the mysterious substance "tat' which is reputed to have the desirable property of being able to be used as barter currency for something rather desirable.

If anyone knows...
What is Tat?
Where do I get it?
How do you go about trading it for the other?

Drew

Reaction score
(Nonk @ Jan. 24 2005,05:26) I am surprised that there is so much support for tats on the forum. I do not know about the attitudes in the US, but in the UK, despite their current popularity among the fashion conscious youth, and their tradition in the enlisted ranks of the military, they are generally associated with the lowest orders, and are not viewed as desirable or respectable, or with any admiration. They can also be very career limiting, avoid at all costs.
I would say that 10 years ago that was exactly the situation in the US, as well. I don't think it is so, anymore, but I might be wrong.
I think they would only be career-limiting if they were visible, as on one's neck or hands. If you're talking about tattoos on these parts of the body I would completely agree. Of the people who have ink in such places, tattoo artists, basketball players, prisoners, and gang members--the two latter of whom are oft one in the same--come to mind. But then again, I think that anyone who would have ink on their neck, hands, or face probably would never be interested in the careers they would be limited from. One of the full-timers in the design department at an internship I had at a dot-com had primitive black ink that covered most of both his arms, pretty much down to his wrist on his right arm, and I think on some of his legs as well. When we wore t-shirts and shorts to the office every day that summer, of course everyone could see them. However, when clients came a-knocking, the only reason he stood out was because he was the only one in business casual.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
After a couple of military balls in succession, I can honestly say there's nothing more repellant than tattoos on a woman's torso or arms. A young, shapely woman in a ball gown should make me sit up straighter and puff out my chest. Instead, I'm trying to run away from the eagle staring out at me from her cleavage or the wizard covering her back.

I can handle a small one on an ankle or hip; I once dated a girl with a star on one toe. That was pretty cool.

Tom

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ Jan. 24 2005,06:38)
Originally Posted by Nonk,Jan. 24 2005,05:26
I am surprised that there is so much support for tats on the forum. I do not know about the attitudes in the US, but in the UK, despite their current popularity among the fashion conscious youth, and their tradition in the enlisted ranks of the military, they are generally associated with the lowest orders, and are not viewed as desirable or respectable, or with any admiration. They can also be very career limiting, avoid at all costs.
I think they would only be career-limiting if they were visible, as on one's neck or hands. If you're talking about tattoos on these parts of the body I would completely agree. Of the people who have ink in such places, tattoo artists, basketball players, prisoners, and gang members--the two latter of whom are oft one in the same--come to mind. But then again, I think that anyone who would have ink on their neck, hands, or face probably would never be interested in the careers they would be limited from. One of the full-timers in the design department at an internship I had at a dot-com had primitive black ink that covered most of both his arms, pretty much down to his wrist on his right arm, and I think on some of his legs as well. When we wore t-shirts and shorts to the office every day that summer, of course everyone could see them. However, when clients came a-knocking, the only reason he stood out was because he was the only one in business casual.
Don't forget Appreciation stars. Jon.

linux_pro

Reaction score
I've got my family crest on my chest, a chinese monkey on my left forearm, skeletor on my right tricep (an idea that seemed "cool" and "funny" when I was 16).

mnemonic

Reaction score
I've got my family crest on my chest, a chinese monkey on my left forearm, skeletor on my right tricep (an idea that seemed "cool" and "funny" when I was 16).
How about this, I'll let you keep the monkstraps that you STOLE from under my nose... muhahahhaha if you will post a picture of Skeletor. Dammit, I must remember to log mnemonic out when using his computer.
biggrin.gif
-Tokyo Slim

mnemonic

Reaction score
this is johnny, not tokyo.

musical quotations on my right arm, the seattle metro logo in red on my left, a quote from david lynch's "dune" on my chest, and a quote from j. on my foot. yes, believe.

johnny.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm both pierced and inked. Piercings in my nipples, ears, septum, and tongue. On my left calf is a tattoo of a drawing that I constantly drew while bored in classes. It's basically a designer's sketch of a woman's outfit. On my right calf is an adaptation of a Gil Elvgren pin-up girl from the 50s (it's called One For the Money). I have plans for a third which will also be an adaptation of an Elvgren pin-up (Man's Best Friend) that will go on my left forearm.

I got all of this done when I was well into graduate school and I am a college professor now. I think making these choices lateer in life is much better than when you are young.

As for whether or not they have hurt my career--my general answer is no. But I took my visible jewelry out when I interviewed and my ink is obviously not visible. Get the job first then put the jewelry back in and let them get used to it. As I tell my students, you'll never not get a job because you aren't pierced, but you might not get a job because you are. That was the advice I received from my mentor and I think it's good advice.

As for ink on women--on the right woman it looks great. But since so many women (like my sister) just get a dumb little flower or some such it usually looks odd. Go for it and get something real done.

linux_pro

Reaction score
(linux_pro @ Mar. 02 2005,18:00) I've got my family crest on my chest, a chinese monkey on my left forearm, skeletor on my right tricep (an idea that seemed "cool" and "funny" when I was 16).
How about this, I'll let you keep the monkstraps that you STOLE from under my nose... muhahahhaha if you will post a picture of Skeletor. Dammit, I must remember to log mnemonic out when using his computer.
biggrin.gif
-Tokyo Slim
I'll try to get a pic posted soon. I got those monkstraps last night, and am wearing them today. They are gorgeous, they fit great, and I am very happy with them.
smile.gif

Wedge

Reaction score
I plan to eventually get the family crest on my left upper arm. One of my younger brothers already has it and my other younger brother is going to get it as well.

Oltmann

Reaction score
I have a set of growth-spurt induced stretch marks that cover half my back. I inherited them from my father when I was 13 or so. My brother has them too, so I'm trying to convince myself that they are a type of genetic family crest tattoo.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads