• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tasers!

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's kind of hard to explain, but i am currently looking to buy a taser/stun gun as an xmas present for a very paranoid friend who just moved into a city she calls "full of muggers." i don't have the cash to buy the some police-enforcement type deal for hundreds of dollars, but something small, easily concealable, reliably useful, and not *too* expensive.

just wondering if anyone has had any experience, or your wives/girlfriends or whatnots carrying these, and where you can buy them (either online or in a store). thanks!

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
it's kind of hard to explain, but i am currently looking to buy a taser/stun gun as an xmas present for a very paranoid friend who just moved into a city she calls "full of muggers." i don't have the cash to buy the some police-enforcement type deal for hundreds of dollars, but something small, easily concealable, reliably useful, and not *too* expensive.

just wondering if anyone has had any experience, or your wives/girlfriends or whatnots carrying these, and where you can buy them (either online or in a store). thanks!

If she's had no self defense training at all your money might be better spent signing her up for a self defense oriented class, such as one of the following:
http://www.prepareinc.com/
http://www.aware.org/

If she's had some self defense oriented training then just make sure she spends some time being trained how to use the stun gun if she doesn't already know how (not just pressing the button, but carrying it, deploying it, hazzards, etc).

I only bring these up because, although it may be good intentioned, giving someone a weapon that they no idea how to use and that they have spent little time training with or thinking about using can potentially be dangerous (ranging from a false sense of security to deadly).

Also, Stun guns aren't legal everywhere so check the laws first as well.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd think you can find them in any store that sell self-defense items. Years ago I was planning to get one of those nightstick that can stun also, but I figure I'd get into more trouble carrying them around or leaving them in my car anyway. Not sure it that is the best way for a lady to protect herself though, if I was to give a gift in that nature I'd probably get one of those gadgets that emit loud noises and also a spray of some sort.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I'd probably get one of those gadgets that emit loud noises and also a spray of some sort.

Those personal alarms are generally useless (how many times do you bother to look out your window when a car alarm goes off?), the person is most likely better off just screaming their lungs off. Pepper spray can be good, but again they should be trained in carrying and using it.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
What about a gun? Not from US?

leonuk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bring The Noise
bear mase....cheaper and more effective
THE BIG BAD DOGGGGGGGGGG
cartman_the-dog.jpg

Eagle

Reaction score
^
.......and yet, the Big, Bad Doggggg just might choose to carry a gun, if his status as a convicted felon didn't make such actions illegal!
devil.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd go with a spray

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why not a balisong

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
why not a balisong

Also needs some skill to work that, and they're more cool than useful. How about Krav-Maga lessons?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knowing your average woman, she'd leave it in buried in her purse and need a few minutes to find it... while she's having her purse snatched.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Knowing your average woman, she'd leave it in buried in her purse and need a few minutes to find it... while she's having her purse snatched.

actually one of my other friends just told me that since there have been a recent spike in robberies on our university campus, she carried a little stungun, visibly in her hand, when walking alone at night. would definitely scare me, i guess, if i didn't have a gun
laugh.gif

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Also needs some skill to work that, and they're more cool than useful. How about Krav-Maga lessons?
though i would agree in general. i like the balisong only for when i need something small. ad frnknly it seems safer than oter flip oopen knives. and does not almost any martial art teach using it at some point in time?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
though i would agree in general. i like the balisong only for when i need something small. ad frnknly it seems safer than oter flip oopen knives. and does not almost any martial art teach using it at some point in time?

Balisongs are illegal in some areas and not all martial arts teach them or knife techniques in general. I would think a regular folding knife would be easier to learn and more justifiable to carry on a daily basis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads