• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Target's custom clothing program

Brian SD

Reaction score
Wow, even Target has picked this up... when will the world return to RTW? I miss it so desperately (but I'll never get off my addiction to Jantzen).

It seems so interesting that all of the sudden three or four seasons ago everyone's going "tailored." Walking by the Express in the mall this evening I spotted their new ad campaign. It's like multiple ladies in the dressing room measuring each other in bras and panties. It's the fantasy for the new, modern, GQ-friendly guy... instead of girls bouncing around in their nighties clobbering each other with pillows, they frantically measure each others pole-sized waists whilst giggling and occasionally making out.

scottmag

Reaction score
It's the fantasy for the new, modern, GQ-friendly guy... instead of girls bouncing around in their nighties clobbering each other with pillows, they frantically measure each others pole-sized waists whilst giggling and occasionally making out.

Um, you say that as if there's something wrong with it....

jinx

Reaction score
well, i ordered a shirt. French Blue Herringbone, spread collar with side pleats. ill report back in 3-4 weeks
smile.gif

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until now I would have been ashamed to admit on these fora I have been buying a certain percentage of my wardrobe--khakis, socks, underwear, etc.--from Target. This makes me feel a whole lot better.
Feel no shame. Their cotton chinos are great. My wife bought me a couple pair several years ago when my then-two year old dumped a bowl of spaghetti on a pair of my good pants. I've been getting them ever since. They are so inexpensive (especially on sale) that I have no fear wearing them in "high risk" situations like kids' parties, and yet they are well made/well cut enough to wear to work in a pretty conservative office on casual days.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(JLibourel @ 27 Aug. 2004, 5:16) Until now I would have been ashamed to admit on these fora I have been buying a certain percentage of my wardrobe--khakis, socks, underwear, etc.--from Target. This makes me feel a whole lot better.
Feel no shame. Â Their cotton chinos are great. Â My wife bought me a couple pair several years ago when my then-two year old dumped a bowl of spaghetti on a pair of my good pants. Â I've been getting them ever since. Â They are so inexpensive (especially on sale) that I have no fear wearing them in "high risk" situations like kids' parties, and yet they are well made/well cut enough to wear to work in a pretty conservative office on casual days.
The quality of Target clothing is outstanding, given the price that you can purchase the garments at. Whenever I'm shopping there, I make sure to stop by the clothing section to see if they have any nice basics on clearance. Perfect place for basics. For my summer job, I am required to wear black slacks and a white collared shirt. I picked up some nice mercanized cotton polo shirts in solid white for $7.50 on clearance (the fabric almost looks on par with the Bobby Jones polo shirts). I also picked up some black flat-front slacks maybe 6 months ago for work. I don't want to wear anything nice to work, since there's a great chance it will be damaged, but at $3.75-$5 per pair for brand new slacks, in both microfiber blends and 100% cotton, I think I can ruin the slacks without going home in tears. I've also heard good things about the cotton undershirts.

mbc

Reaction score
Target seems is trying to go upscale.

Witness their ads, and the placement in House & Garden, etc.
Yeah... Walmart more or less has them beat in the "deep discount" niche, so they'd do well to distinguish themselves a bit.

rsp1

Reaction score
[effecting french accent here] No Tarje in NYC
sad.gif
Someone should make Target's PR aware of this thread...they'd likely be amused

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah... Walmart more or less has them beat in the "deep discount" niche, so they'd do well to distinguish themselves a bit.

They've been doing this for several years now, with their collaborations with Phillipe Starck, Mossimo, etc... Often really good design at really affordable prices - don't sneer boys.

scottmag

Reaction score
No Tarje in NYC Â
sad.gif
I was in Times Square during a recent visit and there was very prominent Target advertising all over one building. Â I wondered if they were building brand awareness in preparation for a permanent location. Â I do recall hearing about temporary Target locations in high-rent cities like NYC. Â In fact didn't they convert a ship into a Target store and dock it somewhere recently? Scott

rsp1

Reaction score
Yes, Target has historically docked a ship (I believe downtown) during the Christmas shopping season. There are consistent rumors that Target is scouting Manhattan locations, but so far we still only have kmart. There is a Target in NJ right across the harbor (by the Ikea) that likely draws significant NYC traffic. We also have several Targets in Long Island (in which I include Brooklyn/Queens
wink.gif
)

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've been doing this for several years now, with their collaborations with Phillipe Starck, Mossimo, etc... Â Often really good design at really affordable prices - don't sneer boys.
Industrial Designer Michael Graves also did work for target, designing various electronic and household goods. Fashion designer Issak Mizarahi (SP?) also does a women's collection for Target. I think it's just amazing that a designer who does $10,000 couture dresses also does work for Target. They definitely have their mind in the right direction.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
graves is actually an internationally known architect. the product design stuff is a moonlighting job for him.

he was, i think, the first big name to 'deign' to design for target - since then they've had a number of designer stars. it's probably a very lucrative setup for the designer. i suppose it was only a matter of time before the stigma of being a down-market designer was overshadowed by the fame and/or money involved. i bet more people than ever know who mizrahi is (or graves, for that matter), now that they have become featured prominently in national ad campaigns.

/andrew

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
graves is actually an internationally known architect. the product design stuff is a moonlighting job for him.

he was, i think, the first big name to 'deign' to design for target - since then they've had a number of designer stars. it's probably a very lucrative setup for the designer. i suppose it was only a matter of time before the stigma of being a down-market designer was overshadowed by the fame and/or money involved. i bet more people than ever know who mizrahi is (or graves, for that matter), now that they have become featured prominently in national ad campaigns.

/andrew
I knew Graves was an architect, but I did not know that his start at product design was at Target - very interesting.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, not what i meant - i don't know where he did his first product design. probably not for target.

what i meant was, he was probably the first really big name designers to have a line of their own designed exclusively for target. then came some other architects who did a series of chairs, then people like starck, etc.

my point was it took someone of his clout to make it seem 'okay' to put your name on a target product. (some would say he's just cashing in on his name, which may have a bit of truth to it.)

/andrew

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads