1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Target's custom clothing program

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rsp1, Aug 27, 2004.

1. rsp1

rsp1 Senior Member

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

That's very interesting. I know some here might tend to scoff a bit at it, but I think it's a very positive thing. Of course, their MTM dress shirts are at the exact same price point as Jantzen. But for the average businessman I would consider it a very good option. It would be interesting to see a comparison between Target and Land's End, although isn't the latter more expensive?

My wife has an awful time finding jeans that will fit her well. I'm going to encourage her to try the MTM jeans.

Some of Target's clothing items are of decent quality, especially at that retail price point. Their Merona knitwear, for example, is made in Australia, which is also where Land's End's is (at least some of it). I just bought some Merona undershirts after a couple of strong recommendations on Ask Andy.

3. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

Last winter, I bought two merino wool v-neck sweaters from Target. Very nice colors, and the cut isn't bad either.

The tag states "Made in England from Fine Italian Merino Wool". I couldn't believe that they were made in England. I paid $3.75 on clearance - how's that for a good price? Even at full retail, I think they were only $19.99.

The brand was Merona, which is Target's store brand.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Custom clothing is *a trend*, and now the trend has hit its zenith. Of course, I think that a lot of Americans, men and women, could wear better fitting clothes (I would prefer that they slimmed down, worked out, so that OTR fit them the way they fit young Europeans, but I digress) so I hope that this is a trend that becomes a staple.

5. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

also i think the 'mass customization' technology is finally getting broader distribution - i.e. it appears it's getting more economically feasible for manufacturers to implement it. i guess Levi's was the big guinea pig, and maybe they were just ahead of their time and it didn't pan out.

but i expect things have changed now: regardless of whether 'customization' is a trend, the technology is in existence to provide it more economically than ever.

here's hoping that the masses will come to appreciate and desire the beauty of affordable, well-fitting clothes.

/andrew - still waiting for his lands' end custom chino re-size order.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

It's interesting to me how Target does a good job of avoiding third world labor. Your stuff was made in England; I've seen knitwear from Australia. The Merona undershirts I bought were made in Canada. Compare that to the DKNY and Polo undershirts I have (purchased at Marshall's) that were made in Central/South America.

7. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

(VersaceMan @ 27 Aug. 2004, 11:53) The tag states "Made in England from Fine Italian Merino Wool". Â I couldn't believe that they were made in England.
    It's interesting to me how Target does a good job of avoiding third world labor. Your stuff was made in England; I've seen knitwear from Australia. The Merona undershirts I bought were made in Canada. Compare that to the DKNY and Polo undershirts I have (purchased at Marshall's) that were made in Central/South America.
    Target's clothing on the whole is pretty good (am I going to get shot for saying this?), much better than say KMart or WalMart. Not only does the construction seem better - most of the clothing there is stylish and is actually something I could wear. Dress shirts with interesting stripe and check patterns, flat-front pants, wool-blend 3/4 length coats, etc. Prices are great for the design/quality you are getting. I would compare many of the items at Target to Banana Republic, with just a notch lower in materials and construction. I think it's a great way to bring some watered-down fashion/trends to the masses.

8. hermes

hermes Distinguished Member

the merona underwear and undershirts for target are allegedly designed and made by the same company (h. best i think) that produces 2(x)ist underwear and undershirts, or so i've been told

which may make sense given the mervyn's chain, owned by target, has an exclusive line of underwear and undershirts made by 2(x)ist called simply 2(x) ..... lesser quality but a decent alternative

9. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

target is one store that makes a winning effort. i just wish they weren't such a madhouse on the weekends, bleh. i get all people-phobic in there. rsp1: PROPS TO YOU MY MAN: [​IMG]

10. rsp1

rsp1 Senior Member

faustian - you inspired me. I also debated about: [​IMG] Edit: While not nearly as cool as Sparks, birdman does represent some sartorial standards.

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I think the comparison to Banana Republic is a good one, VersaceMan. Of course, Target seems to source its clothes from fewer third worlders than even BR.

The tie to 2(x)ist is interesting. I hadn't heard that. I'm looking forward to giving my new Merona undershirts a spin.

12. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

Until now I would have been ashamed to admit on these fora I have been buying a certain percentage of my wardrobe--khakis, socks, underwear, etc.--from Target. This makes me feel a whole lot better.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

Target seems is trying to go upscale.

Witness their ads, and the placement in House & Garden, etc.

14. chocoball

chocoball Senior Member

A friend of mine in the merchandising industry in Hong Kong mentioned that the range of sizes that US hypermarkets like Walmart have to stock nowadays is much wider (especially more of the bigger sizes) meaning increasingly inefficient stock-keeping. So the MTM idea may be one way to get around that, albeit only for the mid-priced, rather than low-end, segment. Interesting anyway.....

15. markr

markr Senior Member

I'll have to check out Target, though I hate the whole big-box retailer thing (like the prices, hate the experience). I've ordered one Land's End custom shirt, and probably won't order a second (I currently have an order pending with Jantzen). If I remember correctly, I went with a relatively low-end fabric (probably an 80s broadcloth), and it was still around $60. It fits well -- not perfect, though that could be my fault -- but the fabric is not very impressive. Nobody will look at it and say, hey, nice shirt. Incidentally, I've gotten a couple of OTR shirts from Land's End for $20 that seem to be much nicer quality fabric and fit just as well.