• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Target Merona Suit

lookatmystyle

Reaction score
Is the best cheap suit the Target Merona Suit? It's a little over $100 and looks pretty decent in the store (for an inexpensive suit). Doesn't look any different than the Men's Wearhouse $300-500 suits.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lookatmystyle
Is the best cheap suit the Target Merona Suit? It's a little over $100 and looks pretty decent in the store (for an inexpensive suit). Doesn't look any different than the Men's Wearhouse $300-500 suits.

IMO, yes, the difference between it and Men's Wearhouse is marginal, and you don't have to endure the salesmen trying to sell you fifty dollar crappy ties as add-ons. If you want a cheap outfit, get the suit there, and get belts, ties, socks, and maybe shirts at Marshalls/TJMaxx. Sym's is also pretty good.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lookatmystyle
Is the best cheap suit the Target Merona Suit?

Surprisingly, the armholes are cut relatively high. The pants could use some slimming, but overall, a much better bang for your buck than Men's Whorehouse.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny...I was just just at Target yesterday and gave those suits a brief inspection and thought "this would not be a terrible choice for a young man with very little money and was an easy fit." And unlike MW suits they are actually in tasteful patterns and at least LOOK good-though I guess you'd probably only get limited wearings out of them.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
target suits are great for the pricepoint, perfect for a 1st suit. or for the guy that only needs one to hang in his closet for interviews/weddings/funerals/etc

Drizzt posted a fit wearing one, it looked really good

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took my 16 year old brother to Target to get him a suit, and had a hell of a hard time finding the 100% wool ones, so be careful not to buy polyester.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was just thinking this could be a good suit for a high school kid. The poly blend might not be a dealbreaker if the guy is going to wear it once or twice, and it doesn't feel/look all that cheap.

I haven't been in a target in a while. They are insane in NYC.

cvac

Reaction score
Just don't get the black one. Go for the navy or charcoal and get the 100% wool one.

If you can come up with the money for something better, do it. I've haven't seen these in person but I can't imagine they'd be worse than an average $99 suit. If your budget is really constrained you won't have too many options at this price.

You are basically looking at:

1) Lowest line of Jos Bank on sale

2) The occasional heavy markdown at Filene's / TJ Maxx, etc.

3) Burlington Coat Factory

4) Used, thrifted suits.

Avoid MW, the stuff they sell is over priced.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Aren't they lined in polyester? It would be like wearing a wool sweater over a Hefty bag.

cvac

Reaction score
Most OTR suits come with some kind of synthetic, often synthetic blend lining.
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
Aren't they lined in polyester? It would be like wearing a wool sweater over a Hefty bag.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are cut larger than tagged, i can wear a lot of 38 but theirs is too big. if they come out with a 36, I am buying one.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
Most OTR suits come with some kind of synthetic, often synthetic blend lining.

And most custom suits and jackets as well, Bemberg (a type of Rayon) being preferable to silk for several reasons.

On a personal note, I came damn close to buying a Target khaki cotton suit a year or two ago...if only they'd had jackets in 48L that fit me halfway decently. (I don't think 48L was one of their size options.)

Target's Merona ties at $20 don't seem like bad buys either. They seem comparable to a lot I see retailing at twice the price.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm pretty fond of the merona suits. I used them as travel suits and they seemed to work pretty well for that role. There are a lot of different levels of them. The one I posted a picture of (and is in my sales thread) is the premium wool version which is $149 I believe.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think i may pick up a khaki suit for the summer from there. If anything happens to it i am not out any money. That is if i don't find one of those $200 Chu's floating around.

mmhollis

Reaction score
I haven't seen the Target suits yet on account of me being away for quite awhile in a country that doesn't have Target. However, before I left I have been quite impressed by the H&M suites, most are slim and have flat front pants. Jos A. Bank also has some good sales but they rarely have flat front pants. Give H&M a try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads