• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tapering pant leg openings

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How easy/expensive is to have a tailor do? I have a couple of pairs of pants that I would like to have the opening taken in a bit so my shoe is not as covered. Does it ruin/change the fit of the rest of the pants?

Thanks!

Sprezzatura Custom

Reaction score
it is a fairly straightforward alteration. Should cost between $15-$25. Usually you'd want to taper from the knee on down, there is no set max, but you should be cognizant of the balance with the upper block of the pant when deciding how much to taper.

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
I've done this to three trousers and have had great results (in Boston, Antonio at Newbury Tailoring Co). I've only tapered fairly slim-fitting pants, starting from the knee down to 8" at the cuff. The pant legs must be brought in an even amount on both sides. You'll want to remeasure the length after tailoring, as you'll probably prefer it a tad shorter than before.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
I have taken nearly all my trousers in for the magic 7.5" opening at the cuff. Some need it from above the knee, all the way down to the cuff. Others knee down works fine.

It's cheap and easy for nearly any capable tailor to do.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's