• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tapering jeans

Johnni

Reaction score
Can you take jeans to a tailor and have them tapered to how much you want?
I brought some Nudie Average Joe and got a larger waist than my other Nudies (as my others dont fit as well anymore) yet the leg opening is about half inch bigger so want to change it, is this possible?
Maybe start the taper from the knee to the cuff.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnni
Can you take jeans to a tailor and have them tapered to how much you want?
I brought some Nudie Average Joe and got a larger waist than my other Nudies (as my others dont fit as well anymore) yet the leg opening is about half inch bigger so want to change it, is this possible?
Maybe start the taper from the knee to the cuff.

Weird, I was wondering the same thing. I just bought a pair of RRL's that I want to do this to. I want to slim mine down by an inch if possible. I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be done, but I don't have much experience with getting things tailored.

Free bump 'cause I want to know as well.
smile.gif

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, you may do that. Any tailor should be able to fix that problem.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
yes, you may do that. Any tailor should be able to fix that problem.

Awesome, would it mess up the selvedge seam at all?

dissapointedengineer

Reaction score
i had a pair tapered slightly.

i gave my tailor a "go-by" pair and asked if she could match the the first pair to em.

she said she could, and she did a very good job. at least to my standards..

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can taper from the selvage seam or the felled inseam. The selvage seam is easier, but will increase the selvage 'band' by as much as you take the leg in. Not a problem if you don't cuff, or if you do but don't care.
The felled inseam side is more involved and expensive, but I have read that Denim Doctors in LA do it on this side and crazy-inexpensive for a taper and hem ($24 a few years ago). Your local tailor will probably want to do it on the selvage side. Probably for around $20 total. I send my jeans elsewhere for a chainstitch hem afterwards.

The selvage side is a single lockstitch, which you can see if you turn the jeans inside out and fold up the selvage flap. My tailor has basically started with the leg opening and and then tapered gradually up to about the knee.

If you know the shrink-rate, I suggest doing this before you soak. The factory stitch holes will be less visible after shrinking the jeans, and all the stitching will tighten up well. Don't alter before soak unless you're sure of what you want.

The jeans can always be let back out. Be conservative about how much you taper, since the cut is really deigned to be the way it is. Probably shouldn't go below 7.5" across.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have some dior 21 cm silver selvedge that i really regret- i shouldve got the 19s.
i plan to taper them, but should i tell the guy to begin at the knee or higher up do you think?

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68
i have some dior 21 cm silver selvedge that i really regret- i shouldve got the 19s.
i plan to taper them, but should i tell the guy to begin at the knee or higher up do you think?

I think it depends on the overall fit. Mine fit me perfect from the knee up, but the cut from the knee down (It's a RRL 1930's style buckleback) is a bit more relaxed than I'd like it to be. I wouldn't be able to pull them off with sleeker shoes/boots.

I plan on having them take the 9 inch hem down to either 8 or 8.5, I haven't decided yet.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't do that but Im sure a tailor could. I think, by definition a Tailor can tailor things.

Id rather go to my seamstress, tailors can be douchebags when it comes to streetwear. My seamstress is great she hemmed my APCs for 2 slices of pizza.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the look im after, dior 19cm, has around an 8" knee and 7.5" hem.
ive actually got some old h&m sliqs that i might get taken in to these specs and see how that turns out before i let the guy loose on the £200 diors.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just took my Dior 19CM's to get tapered so yea it can be done. They only charged me $14 and I got to choose when I wanted back by.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, you may not taper them. It interferes with the integrity and artistry of the product (10)

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Motorsport226
I think it depends on the overall fit. Mine fit me perfect from the knee up, but the cut from the knee down (It's a RRL 1930's style buckleback) is a bit more relaxed than I'd like it to be. I wouldn't be able to pull them off with sleeker shoes/boots. I plan on having them take the 9 inch hem down to either 8 or 8.5, I haven't decided yet. -226
Hmmm. I'd say an inch across (2" circumference) is an insane amount to taper and then to expect that the jeans will still have a good silhouette. 1/2" across is about as much as you might be able to get away with. I'd offer that you'd be better off selling/abandoning those and buy a new pair. Or try it and see, since they can be let out again. Full vintage legs are better off cuffed in that situation, IMO.
Originally Posted by Motorsport226
eh.gif

I got a laugh.

rjones416

Reaction score
im confused about the tapering but can i get size 36x34 jeans to fit like a 34x32?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads