• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calvo

Reaction score
Hi

I find my straight cut
eh.gif
chinos to be perfect at the thighs but its too baggy at the the bottom, it looks like a boot cut.

If i'm measuring it right, its 7'' knee and and 7.5'' across at the opening. mind=blown

It will be my first time. How should I tell the tailor to taper to 6'' at the opening? My english isnt that good. Is there anything I should ask/make sure?

Just so you know,i've been thinking about tapering my pants for 3 years.
laugh.gif

Whats the smallest i can taper to?

Originally Posted by mlyngard
Hmmm. I'd say an inch across (2" circumference) is an insane amount to taper and then to expect that the jeans will still have a good silhouette. 1/2" across is about as much as you might be able to get away with. I'd offer that you'd be better off selling/abandoning those and buy a new pair. Or try it and see, since they can be let out again.

Full vintage legs are better off cuffed in that situation, IMO.

I got a laugh.

Is that true?
So am i tapering 1''(7-6) or 1.5''(7.5-6)?

Going to the place in abt8h. Its midnight here. brb in the morning

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if its a str8 cut the knee shouldnt be smaller than the leg opening (hem)

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
what daddy said...

also, before i send in my denim to be tapered i use safety pins to take out the excess and then measure that, so you know exactly what the end product will look like. but if you take to a tailor it is likely he/she will do that anyway...

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
also, before i send in my denim to be tapered i use safety pins to take out the excess and then measure that, so you know exactly what the end product will look like. but if you take to a tailor it is likely he/she will do that anyway...
Best advice.

Also, the bit about tapering an inch being an "insane amount" is a bit dramatic and a bit wrong. I'm not sure what he was thinking when he suggested that.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find myself having to hit up the tailor and get my denim tailored quite often.

What I usually do is ask for a taper from the knee down to 7".

Post-tailor fits have all worked out great.

Calvo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
I find myself having to hit up the tailor and get my denim tailored quite often.

What I usually do is ask for a taper from the knee down to 7".

Post-tailor fits have all worked out great.

Do i have to mark where my knees are? I woke up late and got busy with sch stuff, will go tmr for sure.

Thanks for all the replies.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
If you're just trying to eliminate the bootcut look that true straightleg jeans/pants always have then just a half inch taper from the knee down should do the trick. I had a pair of h&m linen pants i had taken in (the only time i've ever had a tailor do anything). The asian lady was actually super thrilled i was taking them in because she said too many boys these days wear huge pants and liked to see me wanting to look sharp. I had them taken in from the mid though to hem slowly tapering more as it went down. I tried the pants on, stood on this little platform with a few mirros on each side and she pinned the pants back and told me how much that was tapered (showed me a few different ones) and i settled on it and she did it later that day. Pretty easy process.

But yea, don't let the tailor tell you what to do based on his personal style opinions. Most will say you need a certain amount of inch clearance in shirts or other weird things but it's not that hard to try something on, pin it back and say "i want this"

Ordense

Reaction score
I'm having a bout of taper-itis at the moment, and i really don't like the calf flare on my straight cut denims.

I'll probably have the process done in south-east Asia, where tailors are super cheap.
I had little things done there in the past and some form of guidance and supervision is still required, especially because a mistake on a pair of 300 bucks jeans can be a bit bitter to swallow.

I decided to have the taper done on the selvedge side for a few good reasons, the main one being i don't wear my jeans cuffed, so that is a detail that will never really be visible from the outside (and the "train tracks", given the small amount of taper will not suffer).

I would like to know, in order to do the tapering from the knee down, if the original stitching has to be undone just up to that point, or the whole selvedge line has to be re-stitched to have a more uniform and clean job done.

Would it be possible to maintain the same straight leg ratio (let's say going from a 8" knee and a 8" leg opening to a 7"knee and a 7" L.O.) or some sort of tapering is still necessary to make the whole thing look more harmonic?

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads