• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tapered Jeans +Shell Cordovan Shoes = Win?

Hummingbird

Reaction score
So I just acquired these lovely and wonderful shoes off ebay...
75c7_12.JPG
And am trying to utilize them outside of work. My only good pair of jeans right now are APC NS. I am thinking of wearing these with them, but am unsure of how I'd be perceived if I did so. The perf toe makes them a bit dressy in my opinion, and so not as good for casual wear. The NS on the other hand are dark, making them "dressier", and tapered, which in my opinion calls out the shoe the person is wearing (which could be a good or a bad thing). Accordingly, would you guys suggest attempting this? I'm thinking that with a matching belt and a collared shirt, it's doable. Never a Tee, since I think there would be a discord between the looks of the fancy shoe and the casual tee. I am also looking for more casual pants right now which could serve as an alternative to jeans, and have settled on Uniqlo Vintage Chinos as the way to go. I know these would be awesome with those...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hummingbird
So I just acquired these lovely and wonderful shoes off ebay...
75c7_12.JPG

And am trying to utilize them outside of work.

My only good pair of jeans right now are APC NS. I am thinking of wearing these with them, but am unsure of how I'd be perceived if I did so. The perf toe makes them a bit dressy in my opinion, and so not as good for casual wear. The NS on the other hand are dark, making them "dressier", and tapered, which in my opinion calls out the shoe the person is wearing (which could be a good or a bad thing).

Accordingly, would you guys suggest attempting this? I'm thinking that with a matching belt and a collared shirt, it's doable. Never a Tee, since I think there would be a discord between the looks of the fancy shoe and the casual tee.

I think it would look good depending on the outfit. They're heftier which means they should stand up to the jeans ok. NS aren't super slim at the hem so it should work.

fftfft

Reaction score
This style is quite different, but I do wear these with my 5EPxSF and various KMW.

AF53-view03.jpg

I also wear Polo/C&J darlton wingtips with some jeans. My opinion is that if the shoe is really bulky, then it will look weird with highly tapered jeans. NS aren't that tapered imo, so I think you should be fine...provided the outfit as a whole is congruent with the medallion look.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More broguing makes a shoe more casual, not less. I also wear Polo Darlton wingtips with jeans. As long as the shoes are "hefty", they look OK with jeans.

Disclaimer: I'm be considerably older than most S&D posters and I dress accordingly.

Gem-bean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fftfft
This style is quite different, but I do wear these with my 5EPxSF and various KMW.

AF53-view03.jpg

I also wear Polo/C&J darlton wingtips with some jeans. My opinion is that if the shoe is really bulky, then it will look weird with highly tapered jeans. NS aren't that tapered imo, so I think you should be fine...provided the outfit as a whole is congruent with the medallion look.

have you worn those boots with a suit? Do they work?

fftfft

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gem-bean

Can't say I have tried, my line of work doesn't really call for a suit too often (academic indentured servant
teacha.gif
)

I'll only say that regardless of the pants they are paired with, it remains obvious that they are boots. Any judgment of the matter beyond that I defer to you and/or MC people.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fftfft

What do you think would be some examples of tops that are congruent with the medallion look?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These will look odd with a super casual look, but other than that, anything that will work with jeans will work with this.

Try-

A buttondown shirt, with or without sweater
A short sleeve jersey polo (the Penguin Jack, for instance)
A long sleeve pique polo - like a Lacoste

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
I actually met a friend recently who wore a pair of Alden cordovan wingtips with his Warehouse x sufu x BiG contest jeans, a type 3 denim jacket and a long sleeved shirt underneath. I thought it looked pretty good. The shoes dressed up the whole look just enough without looking out of place.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gem-bean
I don't think these boots will work as well with a suit as the Alden wing-tip or captoe high boots. I haven't actually seen these boots so I'm just judging by the photo. I'm actually wearing Alden wing-tip boots with a suit today.

fftfft

Reaction score
^^ That makes sense to me, I'd probably go for at least a captoe. Funny how some opposite opinions regarding wingtips/medallions/etc and how dressy they are have shown up in this thread.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think APC NS with shell cordovan shoes and just a solid color v-neck t would look great. Perhaps try going sockless with this combination this summer. Part of the fun is pairing dressier pieces with less dressy pieces providing a bit of spontaneity and your own style. You dont want to look completely put together all the time.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by braidkid
i think APC NS with shell cordovan shoes and just a solid color v-neck t would look great. Perhaps try going sockless with this combination this summer. Part of the fun is pairing dressier pieces with less dressy pieces providing a bit of spontaneity and your own style. You dont want to look completely put together all the time.

Interesting, i like this idea. I'd have to make it a high quality V-neck, and certainly something better than AA quality. Perhaps alternative apparel or something like the Save Khaki ones found at DressCodes ATL.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ actually aa is what I had in mind.

what do you mean by "higher quality?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads