• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tanning beds - how to use them?

terminat

Reaction score
At my tennis club, there's been a solarium (stand-up UV tanning booth) for a while now, and I was wondering how exactly one goes about using it - or more exactly, how one should use it.

I know that you get in, put on goggles (these aren't actual goggles are they, just eyecaps, else you'd get obvious tanlines on your face wouldn't you?) and switch it on, but how long do you stay in for, and how long does it take to get a tan? Obviously I don't want to get skin cancer or anything, I would just like my fair skin to turn a nice golden colour. Will there be any noticeable effects after the first session, or does it take repeated usage? Also, for people with fair skin who burn relatively easily, how long should they stay in the booth for?

Thanks for all the help - any info you guys could give me on your experiences with UV tanning would be great
smile.gif
Sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling/asking dumb questions
shog[1].gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I think a paler complexion is more attractive especially given the fact that so many tans end up terrible.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its best to have repeated visits, about 10-15 mins each to start, and gradually build on it.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never understood the American fixation on tanning.

mr_economy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I've never understood the American fixation on tanning.

It works on the same principle as smoking. Bombard them with enough marketing when they are young to make them think it's cool, and then they will be hooked for life - regardless of the cancer and leather skin that go along with it.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Start with sessions of no more than 8-10 minutes once or twice a week...

You will need to achieve a base tan first and then extend it as you get darker.

Also - get some indoor tanning lotion. You can probably buy it at the club or any tanning salon but it is expensive. Perhaps buy a sample size first and then look for it on Ebay - much less expensive to buy it that way.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to tan but I stopped. A golden complexion just isn't worth the highly increased risk of skin cancer. Plus, you'll age faster if you tan on a regular basis. If you do go, make sure you get a good tanning lotion. It's essential for moisturizing your skin.

J-Shock

Reaction score
I started tanning last Spring as a matter of fact. A friend of mine opened up a tanning salon and he imported these top-of-the-line tanning beds from Sweden. They are supposed to stimulate Vitamin D and not be too hazardous for you. The old tanning beds are supposed to be extremelly bad for you, but with the UV index going up every year, tanning beds are not that bad.

The important is to put a lot of tanning cream. The best are with Hemp in it to moisturize your skin. Also you can buy a cream with bronzer, which helps the tanning process and you keep it longer.

Start with one session 1 week for 8-10 minutes. Not more. Also, spend the money for a good cream. There are some that are worth $20 like there is one that is $150. The better the cream, the better the overall experience.

Also i use to tanning salon as a way to lift my morale. WHen it rains a lot here, i get depressed and gloomy! I need some sun to make me feel better and the salon actually helps me a lot.

Rant over! sorry about that

terminat

Reaction score
I started tanning last Spring as a matter of fact. A friend of mine opened up a tanning salon and he imported these top-of-the-line tanning beds from Sweden. They are supposed to stimulate Vitamin D and not be too hazardous for you. The old tanning beds are supposed to be extremelly bad for you, but with the UV index going up every year, tanning beds are not that bad.
Yep, actually I read something about that - I think they're called "high pressure" tanning beds, and emit no UV-B rays (responsible for skin burn/cancer) and only UV-A rays (what actually gives you the tan) and they're much safer. In that case, how do you find out if a tanning bed is of the old low-pressure or new high-pressure kind?

Also, one last question - how do the goggles work exactly? Do they still allow the area around your eyes to be tanned whilst protecting your eyes or what?

Really appreciate all the help so far
biggrin.gif

J-Shock

Reaction score
i just put the little cups over my eyes. I dont think tanning your eyelids is something good for your view. They dont make your eyelids completely white compared to the rest of your skin so dont worry about that.

As for the quality of the beds, the best is to talk to the owner of the salon. In my case, its my friend and he gave me the whole info the first time i went to make me feel at ease because he knew i had never tanned.

I know the machine at my gym is a peice of crap and i would never go in it because i see the people come out of it looking like the just got out of an episode of the Simpsons.

Ask around, usually the more you pay for your session, the more recent is the machine and the better the quality.

Max

Reaction score
Don't do it. Next thing you know you'll be a puerto rican level tanorexic.

ts4them

Reaction score
Most places use the disposable "wink-ease" now instead of goggles. They're little stickers - they cover less of your eye, and you don't get as much of a line of demarcation.

terminat

Reaction score
kk, thanks for all the advice
smile.gif

One last question - obviously you'd think you'd use the tanning booth naked, yet I would have thought you'd need to wear something across your, uh, private parts as a dose of UV radiation isn't probably too healthy for them I'm guessing. Is this the case?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads