• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tankless Water Heaters

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I'd like to hear what he says. Also, have you discussed triple-paned windows with him?

We're just going double paned. We are paying for an increased R rating though.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

I was just wondering if anyone in the US was considering triples. I've seen them used in some modern EU buildings.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I was just wondering if anyone in the US was considering triples. I've seen them used in some modern EU buildings.

They are used. They seem to be great for fixed panes, not so much for functional windows. I have yet to find any attractive choices with triple paned, functional windows, that are the proper size for my proposed window openings. Some of the smaller ones, like our various rows of clerestory windows, but that's it.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just went with Anderson new construction's over Pella's replacements, how'd I do? The house is alot quiter when they are closed and they seem to do their job well but that may be me trying to justify the cost.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I just went with Anderson new construction's over Pella's replacements, how'd I do? The house is alot quiter when they are closed and they seem to do their job well but that may be me trying to justify the cost.

I honestly don't know what windows we're going with yet. I like the thought of extra quiet (it's part of why we're going for the increased R value in the overall house) but we're pretty isolated as it is, so expect a fair amount of quiet. We're going to have some major walls of windows, so for us, the look is just as important as the function.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I honestly don't know what windows we're going with yet. I like the thought of extra quiet (it's part of why we're going for the increased R value in the overall house) but we're pretty isolated as it is, so expect a fair amount of quiet. We're going to have some major walls of windows, so for us, the look is just as important as the function.

you sound like a liberal, massaging the answer and not really saying anything.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
We got some Anderson windows (sadly, not for the entire house). Supposedly, the only better window widely sold in the US is Marvin, and they are MUCH more expensive, like 3x on average.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
you sound like a liberal, massaging the answer and not really saying anything.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Screw off, I don't care what you do in your unimportant life.

Just kidding. Sort of. No really, just kidding.

Edit: Now that I see you and Manton have them though, I'll give Anderson a close look when it comes window choosing time.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
We got some Anderson windows (sadly, not for the entire house). Supposedly, the only better window widely sold in the US is Marvin, and they are MUCH more expensive, like 3x on average.

you got the wood in the inside? did you stain it?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
you got the wood in the inside? did you stain it?

Wood inside, clad outside. We painted ours white.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We went with pella over the anderson renewal replacements a few years ago. I can't remember why, but I feel like the renewals were an inferior product (this was a while ago though)

Replaced everythin, mostly trading out double hung windows with casements (although there were a few original casements and there were two double hung windows that my parents kept double hung).

They have done quite well.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking about windows now? I just redid my whole house in Mercer vinyl double-panes. Got a great deal and I get the full tax rebate next year. Wood looks nice but these look better than anyone else's in the neighborhood.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
My builder is pushing these. He says we'll save money in the long run, and given the minerality of our local water, will have less problems, as you don't have to repeatedly heat the same water. He assures me we'll never notice the difference between that and a nice 50 gal traditional style. It'll be months before I pursue much more detail on that, but I'll post when I laern more.
Have you given any more thought to installing a geoexchange system for your new build? Having a simple desuperheater on the unit will provide pre-heated domestic hot water, cutting your hot water bill about in half, or install a separate water-to-water unit to provide all your hot water. With the right tanks sizes, you will never run out of hot water.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
Have you given any more thought to installing a geoexchange system for your new build? Having a simple desuperheater on the unit will provide pre-heated domestic hot water, cutting your hot water bill about in half, or install a separate water-to-water unit to provide all your hot water. With the right tanks sizes, you will never run out of hot water.

What, if any, does highly mineralized local water do to those systems?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads