• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tan, Leather Wingtips

It is acceptable to wear tan wingtips: (Select all that apply)

• With a black suit.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • With a gray suit.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • With a navy suit.

• With an earthtone suit.

• With jeans.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • In the spring.

• In the summer.

• In the autumn.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In the winter.

• During the day.

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • In the evening.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Never.

• Total voters

elBryan

Reaction score
I've been searching through fashion blogs, fashion forums, and men's fashion guides, but have been unable to find a prevailing explanation regarding when to wear tan wingtips, and/or how to match them. After referring to many different sources, this is what I have determined:

"Tan, leather wingtips can be worn with any color of suit or trousers, are typically only worn in the spring and summer, but never in the evening, and never to anything formal such as a wedding or a funeral."

Please agree or disagree with my statement, and include an explanation or any other advice. Thank you!

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
Welcome to SF!

It only lets you tick one box by the way so - Black suit - no. Grey suit - yes. Navy suit - yes. Earthtone - I'd say yes. Jeans - yes. I'd say all seasons appropriate too (Although I'd go for Dainite soled wingtip boots in winter). Day - yes. Evening yes.

It really depends on the style of wingtip. I mean that if you've got a pair of chunky Tricker's country brogues I would hesitate to wear them with suits but if I went for a pair G&G Rothschilds I wouldn't dream of pairing them with jeans. It all depends on the chunkiness of the sole and the thickness of the wingtip leather. E.g. I've got a pair of Alfred Sargent tan wingtips that weigh the best part of 3 kilos and go great with jeans but just look too heavy and informal for suits. Whilst I don't own a pair of G&G Rothschilds (Although I'd say if I were to get 1 pair of formal wings it would be them) if I did they'd just look far to sleek and formal to be paired with jeans.

I hate the whole "Only wear it for this season" bull - if you can make the item a coherent part of a weather and temperature appropriate outfit then go ahead. Also who gives a crap if you're wearing wingtips in the evening? I'd say this is again partly due to the style and silhouette of the shoe. I also see no reason not to wear them to a formal event but would personally go for plain cap-toes or at the most half brogues.

Be careful with the style blogs - their structure can give a huge amount of credibility to people who have no idea what they are talking about. I'd say this is the best place to learn about this kind of thing where most people have learned from each other and have a good idea what they are on about. (Whether I know what I'm on about is another matter for another day...)

Hope I helped you somewhat.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above poster.

It's a pretty versatile shoe.

You can certainly wear tan wingtips (like the Allen Edmonds Walnut Strands) with all types of trousers. I'd stay away from black trousers though. I don't see any reason why wouldn't be able to wear them to someone else's wedding, it seems like a very festive color.

I agree with not wearing them for funerals, that should be a no-brainer.

Last edited:

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with the above poster.
It's a pretty versatile shoe.
You can certainly wear tan wingtips (like the Allen Edmonds Walnut Strands) with all types of trousers. I'd stay away from black trousers though. I don't see any reason why wouldn't be able to wear them to someone else's wedding, it seems like a very festive color.
I agree with not wearing them for funerals, that should be a no-brainer.

The Strands are cap toes - but the McAllister in Walnut will go with anything but black.

Chris

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tan wingtips, C&J Cliffords:

I wear them year round, mainly with lighter suits, but also with a bold overcheck POW in natural and charcoal.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love my tan Drummunds with a navy suit.

Ivon

Reaction score
"Tan" can range from a pale almond shade to a middish brown. I recently bought a pair of G&G Rothchilds in Vintage Chestnut, it is a middish brown tone. I bought them to wear with lighter grey suits and dressy casual situations. Too light for midnight navy or charcoal in my opinion. I think they can be worn with jeans or chinos and a sportsjacket even though they aren't country shoes. Anything darker than mid grey or air force blue, I'd opt for a darker wingtip. Three seasons, not a winter shoe where I live in my mind.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Strands are cap toes - but the McAllister in Walnut will go with anything but black.
Chris

Yup... Sorry about that haha. I meant the Mcallisters.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup... Sorry about that haha. I meant the Mcallisters.

But I have to admit the Walnut Strands are very nice looking shoes also - with everything except black.

printyra

Reaction score
Hey there everyone, I am new to the forums but was also interested in how to pair my tan, leather wingtips with pants. The pair I have is a lighter color than the Walnut color by AE. It is more of a British Tan, much lighter. I have a pair of these: Mercanti Fiorentini wing tips in what they call 'Cognac' :

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/mercanti+fi...iveCats=men,300235&isBrand=y&categoryName=men

What kinds of pants do you guys think would pair well with this type of tan?

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
Why can't people call them what they are i.e. brogues and not wing tips

printyra

Reaction score
they are brogued wing tips.

Do you have anything to say in regards to what color of pant/trouser would be most appropriate to pair them with given their particular shade of tan?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads