• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tan coloured belt

torontobluered

Reaction score
I recently got a tan belt, and it looks great with some of my pants and shirts. I have two questions though: 1. Someone told me that tan is mainly a summer colour. But it's fine to wear it in the winter as well, right? 2. I don't have tan shoes. Do I have to get them if I want to wear the belt? Or is it possible to wear it with black or dark brown shoes? thanks for the help in advance

torontobluered

Reaction score
please respond
redface.gif

Last edited:

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this guy is always a dick, ignore him

yes you can wear it in the winter. try to match it with the rest of your outfit, so for me i like the to wear a tan belt with a brass buckle with faded raw blue jeans, and a black belt with a grey buckle with darker jeans. but you can wear any color belt you want so long as it looks good. and usually your belt is not visible anyways unless you tuck in your shirt so it doesnt matter in most cases.

i don't tend to match my belt with my footwear unless i am wearing a suit (where the belt is visible), so what if your belt doesn't match your shoes, noone really cares about this if you don't. i been wearing a tan belt i have had for 3 years and it has developed a great patina, so it is my go-to belt.

torontobluered

Reaction score
usually your belt is not visible anyways unless you tuck in your shirt so it doesnt matter in most cases.

That's the thing though, I'm asking for cases when the belt is exposed. Like you said I wouldn't care if it was hidden under a shirt.

So I just wonder if it would look off if I wore a tan belt and a black shoes together (for example). I've also heard that your belt and shoes should always match, but not sure how strict of a rule that is.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My rule of thumb for stuff like this is to first learn the rules, and then break them as you see fit.

The rule is to match your belt to your shoes, but no one's going to arrest you for not doing that--light brown belt with black shoes might, as a general matter though, look a bit off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads