1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tall, thin - need help with suits!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JCM, Apr 5, 2006.

1. JCM

JCM Senior Member

Hi All - I'm tall and thin (about 6'1", 145 lbs, 31" waist, long arms - 35" sleeve on shirts, thin neck - 14.5") and am having a terrible time finding suits to fit.

The closest I have come is a 38L from Men's Wearhouse, but would really like higher quality - I'm willing to spend $500-900, but don't know where to go and am apprehensive about WW Chan, since I'd want at least two measurements (which could take a year to complete).

Can anyone with more suit experience than I chime in? I'm in San Francisco, if that helps. Thanks!

2. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior Member

Hi All - I'm tall and thin (about 6'1", 145 lbs, 31" waist, long arms - 35" sleeve on shirts, thin neck - 14.5") and am having a terrible time finding suits to fit.

The closest I have come is a 38L from Men's Wearhouse, but would really like higher quality - I'm willing to spend $500-900, but don't know where to go and am apprehensive about WW Chan, since I'd want at least two measurements (which could take a year to complete).

Can anyone with more suit experience than I chime in? I'm in San Francisco, if that helps. Thanks!

Check out Brooks Brothers, particularly their Brooksease line, which allows one to purchase jackets and trousers separately.

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

I have two suits in a 36XL. One is a flannely winter one (not good for you of course) and one is a lighter 110's.

PM me if you are interested in me measuring and photographing for you.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Try Corneliani. Your measurements aren't too far off from mine, and I find it a great fit. Naturally comes with longer sleeves and a leaner silhouette -- I'm almost a perfect 38R. Good value, too, especially on markdown.

5. JCM

JCM Senior Member

Try Corneliani. Your measurements aren't too far off from mine, and I find it a great fit. Naturally comes with longer sleeves and a leaner silhouette -- I'm almost a perfect 38R. Good value, too, especially on markdown.

Thanks - how does the length fit you? My best-fitting coat currently is 32.5" from bottom of collar and Corneliani 38R looks to be quite a bit shorter - what do you think?

6. DocHolliday

Thanks - how does the length fit you? My best-fitting coat currently is 32.5" from bottom of collar and Corneliani 38R looks to be quite a bit shorter - what do you think?

The length is fine for me, but you're a bit taller. You might need a 38L. I think you'll be pleased with Corneliani's trimmer fit overall. And I love the longer, narrower sleeves. It's so nice to not need to have sleeves let out. I'm almost never entirely happy with the result.

7. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

PM Responded to. Check it out.

8. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

For just a little more than $900, you can probably get Samuelsohn MTM. I'm 6'3", 160 lbs. with 36" sleeves, 15" neck, and a 31" waist (OK, maybe 32") and I have a MTM Samuelsohn jacket based on a 38 XL pattern that cost just about $900, after taxes. Sammy represents good value for the price. My best-fitting jacket is also 32.5" and the XL Samuelsohn is 33".

DocHolliday, you're right about Corneliani. I found a 38L Corneliani jacket at Saks Off 5th that was a nice fit, but a boring pattern IMO, dark gray with lighter gray overpane. I'm checking back about every 2 weeks, so I hope something nice will pop up eventually.

9. DocHolliday

For just a little more than $900, you can probably get Samuelsohn MTM. I'm 6'3", 160 lbs. with 36" sleeves, 15" neck, and a 31" waist (OK, maybe 32") and I have a MTM Samuelsohn jacket based on a 38 XL pattern that cost just about $900, after taxes. Sammy represents good value for the price. My best-fitting jacket is also 32.5" and the XL Samuelsohn is 33".

You can also get a Corneliani-made Polo MTM for about that price. It is has less handwork than regular Corneliani, I'm told, but it's fully canvassed.

DocHolliday, you're right about Corneliani. I found a 38L Corneliani jacket at Saks Off 5th that was a nice fit, but a boring pattern IMO, dark gray with lighter gray overpane. I'm checking back about every 2 weeks, so I hope something nice will pop up eventually.

Fitwise, it worked better for you than most brands?

10. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

You can also get a Corneliani-made Polo MTM for about that price. It is has less handwork than regular Corneliani, I'm told, but it's fully canvassed.

Fitwise, it worked better for you than most brands?

Indeed it did. I liked the silhouette, the fit of the shoulders, the length, and the sleeve length. Fit through the chest wasn't perfect, but very good and better than most. I don't even try on most American-made suits anymore, nor do I try Burberry (US models are made by HF, I understand).

11. eHaberdasher

eHaberdasher Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

Hello JCM,

My name is Ben, aka ebay's honest*goods. We just joined this forum a few days ago and parouse every now and then and stumbled upon your post. We happened to just list an Isaia suit in euro 48L which is about a 38L and is, of course, a beautiful suit in a very difficult (as you know) size to find in a high end garment.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7757268058

All the best,

Ben (honest*goods/eHaberdasher.com)

12. JCM

JCM Senior Member

Hello JCM,

My name is Ben, aka ebay's honest*goods. We just joined this forum a few days ago and parouse every now and then and stumbled upon your post. We happened to just list an Isaia suit in euro 48L which is about a 38L and is, of course, a beautiful suit in a very difficult (as you know) size to find in a high end garment.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7757268058

All the best,

Ben (honest*goods/eHaberdasher.com)

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

13. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

FYI, Ben is a great seller. I've only bought from him once, but it may be my best eBay buy.

14. eHaberdasher

eHaberdasher Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

Thank you for your kind message chorse - I'm not sure what item you have purchased from me in the past but I greatly appreciate your supportive comment.

Cheers!

15. Handlethevibe

Handlethevibe Senior Member