• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tall skinny men (lanky)

xselent

Reaction score
I have a huge problem

I like wearing clothes that fir somewhat small

i buy medium and sometimes small

the problem is after a way everyhting gets too small after a few washes

i have a whole bunch of cardigans now that stop in the middle of my belt line

and i have to wear the sleeves up

i dont want to comprimise style and look sluggish in bigger clothing what do i do

btw i am refering to all casual clothing...no problem in dress clothing really as it is more specific in size

but t shirts, v necks, sweaters, things like that

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Welcome to a special rung of hell. Many SFers are right there with you, myself included. OTR is a virtual impossibility for me in many different types of clothing, especially sweaters and shirts. I can find items that fit snugly around the torso, but which are too short in the arms or overall length. Or I can find items at the right length, but which fit like tents.

Best advice I can give you is twofold: 1) go custom when/where you can afford to; 2) find a great alterations tailor and make a habit of visiting him. Your tailor is your new best friend. You'll be seeing him more than you see any other service professional in your life, including doctors, dentists, and financial advisors.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LukeM
Can sweaters we tailored?

For all intents and purposes, no. There are ways a good cleaner can intentionally shrink and stretch the fibers to shape the sweater, but the process is not miraculous and is not the same thing as actually tailoring the garment.

Sweaters have always plagued me for just this reason. I usually buy a size smaller than I normally would, and have to live with some degree of shortness in the length.

I'm sure there are custom sweater makers out there, but I have yet to find one. If anyone has recs, I'd be very interested.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For knits and tees, cheap retailers are going to be your best bet. Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Lands- End and LL Bean all carry tall sizes on their website. You didn't provide a lot of info about your actual dimensions, but Meduim Tall works for a lot if lanky guys. None of these is going to provide you with the highest level of quality (Bean and LE are respectable), but at least your clothes will fit.

EDIT: They also carry casual trousers with 36 inseams.

chet31

Reaction score
I am 6'0", 160 lbs, and a in your boat. Re: sweaters, I've had good luck w/ Lands End "small" size (even though according to their guide, I'm a medium), FWIW.

Decades

Reaction score
I'm 6' 145lbs and also find sweaters more annoying than anything when it comes to sizing. They're typically too short for the correct chest size or too big in the chest for the correct length. I also have a very lean upper body and larger legs (thanks, cycling) so I find proportions hard to balance as well.

ktrp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
For knits and tees, cheap retailers are going to be your best bet. Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Lands- End and LL Bean all carry tall sizes on their website. You didn't provide a lot of info about your actual dimensions, but Meduim Tall works for a lot if lanky guys. None of these is going to provide you with the highest level of quality (Bean and LE are respectable), but at least your clothes will fit.

EDIT: They also carry casual trousers with 36 inseams.

No tall sizes in Canada. Apparently no tall men here.

Somewhat ironically, in an office of 18 people, at 6'3" I'm the median height male. The tallest is 7'.

At some point I'll get a u.s. proxy to send me some tall t-shirts.

Decades

Reaction score
I would be a little cautious wrt ordering online from say Gap or BR. My concern is that usually clothes from both lack consistency in size so you take a gamble. Obviously stuff from either is easily returnable but still not worth the hassle to me.

You might as well spend a little more on an item that fits the way you want rather than stuff that kinda sorta maybe fits. It seems more expensive but is definitely cheaper in the long run. Plus you don't end up cleaning out the closet as often and making trips to the Goodwill drop off.

Sorry if this seems obvious however I defintely have learned the hard way. Open the wallet, cringe, pat yourself on the back later.

ktrp

Reaction score
So where do you suggest for tall-medium t-shirts, undershirts, sweaters?

Decades

Reaction score
I find American Apparel tees in a size medium fit nicely after a warm wash. However they maybe a bit big in the mid section for some but look quite proportional for my legs. I still haven't had much luck with the "perfect" sweater. The J Crew cotton sweaters in a medium tall fits well enough for me.

bkdasher

Reaction score
At 6'5, I've had the same issue but I should warn you most of my height is in my legs.

I've had surprisingly good luck with Uniqulo for basics. Their sweaters are long and I haven't had a problem with them shrinking. T-shirts are also a good score there. I find the fit & quality to be on part with J.Crew but at about 30% of the cost. You also get a little extra length in the body and arms vs. other retailers without having to opt for a tall size (which often throws things off for me everywhere else). They don't have a store on their website but I'm told they'll accept phone orders if you give them a call.

I'd second (or third) the caution about Gap or BR. I've had some wacky experiences with inconsistencies in their sizing.

iherald

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
No tall sizes in Canada. Apparently no tall men here.

Somewhat ironically, in an office of 18 people, at 6'3" I'm the median height male. The tallest is 7'.

At some point I'll get a u.s. proxy to send me some tall t-shirts.

I'm glad you posted this, I was thinking "hmm, I've never seen tall sizes..." but I'm in Canada too.

xselent

Reaction score
thank you all

lots og good tips here

i will look into american apparel

i dont think tall sizes will work out because they may be too big around

Todd6060

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xselent
i dont think tall sizes will work out because they may be too big around

A Tall Medium is the same width as a Regular Medium - just longer length and sleeves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads