• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tall, Skinny and...Handsome?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This thread seems to be attracting the tall, average to less than average weight category types with some mid section flub. I would like to point out that it would certainly be less costly and less of a hassle in the long run to undergo a change in diet in order to get the midsection in check than it would be to drive your tailor nuts in trying to taper everything down except the lower torso. Maybe eat less bread and pasta and keep the beer guzzling to a minimum? In any case, I think that this thread might be helpful to the taller, skinny-sh guys....
http://www.styleforum.net/t/134832/rules-for-the-tall-and-skinny-man/240

LOL. Thanks for your opinions, but how would you know anything about my midsection? My 33" waist (coming from a fairly average 7" drop), 13% body fat, and my tailor's work to taper the waists of my shirts suggests that your assumptions are wrong in at least one case, though I suppose I could diet and work out like a fiend to reach an NBA-ready single digit body fat percentage (When I stopped working out for several months last Fall, I actually dropped 10 lbs.). And FYI, I rarely drink beer, much less "guzzle" it.

doughboysc

Reaction score
My suggestion is buy MTM or bespoke clothing (if you can afford more than ten grand) for suits/sportcoats/trousers, I would say Ralph Lauren Purple Label brand (TV host Charlie Rose wears those RLPL Double-Breasted suits mostly). For bespoke shirts try Turnbull & Asser in New York City or Beverly Hills. Minimum order for bespoke shirts (first order) is half-dozen, while bespoke neckties (first order) is three. T&A Bespoke shirts cost $365-495 while bespoke neckties starts at $180-up. Prince Charles (has a royal warrant for this shirtmaker), Sir David Frost, and the late Sir John Gielgud have been customers at T&A over the years.

Other brands I suggest, Brioni (high-end) the brand was worned by Pierce Brosnan, Donald Trump, and the late great ABC anchorman Peter Jennings.

For tall skinny people, be suited with plaids, checks, small and bold stripes with shirts. Any pattern with sportcoats/suits. Spread collar dress shirts, and flat front pants. Pleats are too 1980s, Flat Fronts are very modern and trim.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need a 37" sleeve which ******* nobody carries stock in 16" neck. Always gotta have it taken it if I buy off the rack.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I need a 37" sleeve which ******* nobody carries stock in 16" neck. Always gotta have it taken it if I buy off the rack.

twinsies
fistbump.gif

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
This is actually completely backwards.

While correct about what "no break" is - where the front of your pants lightly touch the top of your shoes, creating a clean line from the beltline to the bottom of the pants (with no break in this line). A "full break" (usually recommended at that Jos. A. Banks and Men's Wearhouses of the world) is where the bottom of the pants touch the bottom of the leather uppers (causing a break in the line of the trousers in the front), and sometimes nearly to the floor. A medium break is generally refered to as halfway in between.

Ah, my mistake - I knew that, just muddled it up while typing. But seeing as "No Break" is typically the most flattering style I hope I didn't hugely misguide anyone.

Thanks for pointing that out.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try Charles Tyrwhitt. I order 15.5" neck and 37" sleeves (slim or tailored fit), which I have shortened to 36.5". Needs no further alterations for me (Though I really would prefer a 15" neck).

Last edited:

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ah, my mistake - I knew that, just muddled it up while typing. But seeing as "No Break" is typically the most flattering style I hope I didn't hugely misguide anyone.

Thanks for pointing that out.

No-break is generally the SF-approved option, and it's the more traditional choice. But lanky men need help breaking up their vertical lines, and no-break trousers tend to make them look even leggier and ganglier. A small break is thus advisable.

Ketawa

Reaction score
I will be following this thread with great interest for more brand recommendations. My biggest problem comes from the fact I'm a 17x36 in shirts, but need an 18.5" shoulder-to-shoulder measurement. Thus, the shoulder seams are falling off my shoulders on any shirt that has a long enough sleeve. Online MTM always seems like a crapshoot and it would be nice to find something OTR that fits well consistently. Will have to try out BB extra slim fit.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I will be following this thread with great interest for more brand recommendations. My biggest problem comes from the fact I'm a 17x36 in shirts, but need an 18.5" shoulder-to-shoulder measurement. Thus, the shoulder seams are falling off my shoulders on any shirt that has a long enough sleeve. Online MTM always seems like a crapshoot and it would be nice to find something OTR that fits well consistently. Will have to try out BB extra slim fit.

BB XSF are probably a decent bet for someone like you. They seem to be cut for the tall, skinny, and narrow shouldered man. That said, depending on how tall and how skinny you are, you may need them taken in a bit, especially at the waist.

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bragging thread, eh?

I'm 6'1'' and 145 lbs. I wear a size 36L&slim suit -- try finding this bastard of a size off the rack. Sure, 36s are aplenty -- but only for short chaps. Shirt size 15&3/4'' with 35'' sleeves. With darts.

downeasta, if you're still studying and money is an issue, try flea markets and vintage shops. Have everything you find tailored, taken in a bit. If you can save up a bit, go MTM. It will save you much trouble. Favour chunky sweaters (they give you girth), heavier shirt fabrics (oxfords etc.) and heavier woollens (400 grams and upwards). The main reason why I advice my readers to favour heavier fabrics is that they will both drape better (so they won't have to be cut sking-tight) and will last longer. Don't bother sweating at the gym: life is so much more easier if you can learn to accept your body. There are many perks in having a svelte figure.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have trouble finding a 36" sleeve for a 15.5 neck. It's a major problem for sport shirts. I can't recall ever seeing a 37" sleeve except in extra large neck sizes (i.e., 17+).

Maegnus

Reaction score
Yeah, your shirt is definitely way too small (I said so in the WAYWRN thread, but the third detail picture confirms it).

there is literally no pull on the buttons neither standing up nor seated and it's definitely not too tight. Maybe it has something to do with the narrow placket or the fact that it's tucked in... I am way more emotionally invested in this argument than I care to admit.
ffffuuuu.gif

Yeah, your shirt definitely fits mint (I thought so in the WAYWRN thread, but your detailed pics confirm it).
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

TIMbella

Reaction score
As some who is a similar size and spent years worriyng about what looks ok I think the best advice is wear what you feel good in - Its all down to confidence I have worn baggy, tight etc etc its all down to fashion sometime baggy sometime skinny - The pictures you post make you look like a smartly dressed young bloke who wears good quality clothing that women like - You have no worries I would say. Its all to do with confidence - I love nice clothes and admire style and you look like you have it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads