1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tall, Skinny and...Handsome?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by downeasta, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Senior member

A trousers's 'break' is the length the hem sits from the top of your shoes - the classic style is with no break at all but the whole Thom Browne way of life has breaks of up to an inch which show either a lot of sock or a lot of ankle. I tend to get my trousers tailored to have no break, so that the front crease is totally clean and straight down the front of the leg.

With respect to jeans I tend to buy 2 pairs of each style I want. 1 that has no break and sits perfectly on my shoes that I can cuff to have a break should I wish and I take the other pair to a tailor to break at just above my ankle for wearing without socks in summer and with boots during the winter months.

2. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

there is literally no pull on the buttons neither standing up nor seated and it's definitely not too tight. Maybe it has something to do with the narrow placket or the fact that it's tucked in... I am way more emotionally invested in this argument than I care to admit. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. downeasta

downeasta Member

Which brands of jeans do you all usually buy?

4. Off My Rack

Off My Rack Senior member

This is actually completely backwards.

While correct about what "no break" is - where the front of your pants lightly touch the top of your shoes, creating a clean line from the beltline to the bottom of the pants (with no break in this line). A "full break" (usually recommended at that Jos. A. Banks and Men's Wearhouses of the world) is where the bottom of the pants touch the bottom of the leather uppers (causing a break in the line of the trousers in the front), and sometimes nearly to the floor. A medium break is generally refered to as halfway in between.

5. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I am 6'3", 185 lbs. I wear a 42L jacket, 16 x 36 shirt, 33-34/34 pants, so I understand your concerns.

The only places that I can find shirts in the proper neck/sleeve length are Brooks Brothers and Nordstrom's brand. Go for the Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts or the Nordstrom SmartCare and you'll be fine.

In jeans, I find that a standard straight leg jean is the best for me. Basically, the standard Levi's 501 cut or similar. Skinny jeans would be too tight and make my legs look like matchsticks while boot or full-cut looks like I am drowning.

For polos, I like the Brooks Brother slim-fit perfomance polos. Also, I've figured out lately that buying short sleeve shirts in medium rather than large or XL tends to make the body fit me better. As long as the shoulders are wide enough, and they tend to be, a medium shirt is often a good choice.

In order to avoid having my legs look disproportionately long in comparison to my torso, I often leave my shirts untucked when wearing casual clothing and when wearing dressy clothing, wearing a suit coat or sport jacket creates a longer line that goes beyond the waist and makes your torso look longer and legs look shorter.

Finally, make sure you hit the gym because being tall and skinny is great, but building some muscle looks even better!

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

6'4" 260ish :uhoh: 44L coat (pushing 46L) 16.5/37 shirt

I need to lose like 25#s quick.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

At 6'3" and 180 lbs. (after bulking up from 155-160 lbs. by lifting weights and eating 4 meals a day), with a similar body type as yours, I share your concerns. Here are some of my opinions:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/278624/slim-shirts-with-longer-sleeves#post_5030767

http://www.styleforum.net/t/134832/rules-for-the-tall-and-skinny-man/240#post_5083930

For jeans, I buy only Levi's since they are the only brand I've found that offers 33/36. Dress trousers are easier to find since they are unfinished and can be hemmed, and sometimes cuffed (preferable), to the right length. The same is true of corduroy, moleskin, and linen trousers and they are all warmer in winter or cooler in summer than denim.

I use every trick in the book to de-emphasize my thinness, so I do the opposite of all the advice given to men who want to look taller. I look for every horizontal detail I can find, including horizontal stripes, checks, plaids, and other large patterns, ticket pockets on my jackets, double pockets on shirts, and safari-style shirts (with the double pockets, epaulets, and tabs to keep sleeves rolled up). Cargo pants are a good casual look for me. Like Bradford, I wear shirts untucked (whenever possible), jackets, and sweaters to elongate my torso relative to my legs. I wear contrasting colors on top and bottom, wide belts (never suspenders), cuffed trousers or bootcut jeans, and always have dress trousers widened below the knee. For as long as I can remember, I've been rolling up my sleeves to mid-forearm, first to hide that they were too short, but now to provide one more horizontal line.

My best suggestion is to find a good alterations tailor, even if it seems expensive. Almost everything I buy OTR goes to my alterations tailor, including my jeans. I've spent a small fortune on alterations, but the results are well worth the money.

On a side note, www.territoryahead.com has interesting casual shirts in Tall sizes that will get you out of the "dress/flannel/rugby shirt" hell that I was stuck in for years because I couldn't find long enough sleeves. Their quality varies, but I have a number of their shirts that are great, including 3 different "Great White Shirts" and a criss-cross cord shirt. They do textured fabrics especially well.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with and have no financial interest in any brands mentioned.

8. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

One I forgot to mention - LL Bean sells a lot of products in tall sizes and they have some nice long sleeved dress and casual shirts.

I've found that the sleeves on their tall shirts are long enough to work for my 36-inch shirtsleeves and they are a lot more affordable than the Brooks Brothers or Nordstrom shirts I previously mentioned.

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

I second this. Lands End tall sizes are good, too, and their shirts are indestructible. I'd swear I've owned some of my LE OCBDs for 15 years.

10. Octoberfile

Octoberfile Senior member

This thread seems to be attracting the tall, average to less than average weight category types with some mid section flub. I would like to point out that it would certainly be less costly and less of a hassle in the long run to undergo a change in diet in order to get the midsection in check than it would be to drive your tailor nuts in trying to taper everything down except the lower torso. Maybe eat less bread and pasta and keep the beer guzzling to a minimum? In any case, I think that this thread might be helpful to the taller, skinny-sh guys....

http://www.styleforum.net/t/134832/rules-for-the-tall-and-skinny-man/240

11. thinman

thinman Senior member

LOL. Thanks for your opinions, but how would you know anything about my midsection? My 33" waist (coming from a fairly average 7" drop), 13% body fat, and my tailor's work to taper the waists of my shirts suggests that your assumptions are wrong in at least one case, though I suppose I could diet and work out like a fiend to reach an NBA-ready single digit body fat percentage (When I stopped working out for several months last Fall, I actually dropped 10 lbs.). And FYI, I rarely drink beer, much less "guzzle" it.

12. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior member

My suggestion is buy MTM or bespoke clothing (if you can afford more than ten grand) for suits/sportcoats/trousers, I would say Ralph Lauren Purple Label brand (TV host Charlie Rose wears those RLPL Double-Breasted suits mostly). For bespoke shirts try Turnbull & Asser in New York City or Beverly Hills. Minimum order for bespoke shirts (first order) is half-dozen, while bespoke neckties (first order) is three. T&A Bespoke shirts cost $365-495 while bespoke neckties starts at $180-up. Prince Charles (has a royal warrant for this shirtmaker), Sir David Frost, and the late Sir John Gielgud have been customers at T&A over the years.

Other brands I suggest, Brioni (high-end) the brand was worned by Pierce Brosnan, Donald Trump, and the late great ABC anchorman Peter Jennings.

For tall skinny people, be suited with plaids, checks, small and bold stripes with shirts. Any pattern with sportcoats/suits. Spread collar dress shirts, and flat front pants. Pleats are too 1980s, Flat Fronts are very modern and trim.

13. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I need a 37" sleeve which fucking nobody carries stock in 16" neck. Always gotta have it taken it if I buy off the rack.

14. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Wow. Michael Phelps?

15. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Sadly no, I do not swim like Mr. Phelps, although I do drink like a fish.

16. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

twinsies [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Senior member

Ah, my mistake - I knew that, just muddled it up while typing. But seeing as "No Break" is typically the most flattering style I hope I didn't hugely misguide anyone.

Thanks for pointing that out.

18. thinman

thinman Senior member

Try Charles Tyrwhitt. I order 15.5" neck and 37" sleeves (slim or tailored fit), which I have shortened to 36.5". Needs no further alterations for me (Though I really would prefer a 15" neck).

1 person likes this.
  19. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

No-break is generally the SF-approved option, and it's the more traditional choice. But lanky men need help breaking up their vertical lines, and no-break trousers tend to make them look even leggier and ganglier. A small break is thus advisable.

20. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

I will be following this thread with great interest for more brand recommendations. My biggest problem comes from the fact I'm a 17x36 in shirts, but need an 18.5" shoulder-to-shoulder measurement. Thus, the shoulder seams are falling off my shoulders on any shirt that has a long enough sleeve. Online MTM always seems like a crapshoot and it would be nice to find something OTR that fits well consistently. Will have to try out BB extra slim fit.

1 person likes this.