• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tall, Skinny and...Handsome?

downeasta

Reaction score
StyleForum, I need your help.

I'm 6'3", 190lbs~. Shirt measurements: 15"-35.5". Pants: 32-34 Jacket: My best fitting jacket is currently a 41 L with the sleeves taken out.

My issue is this: I've been told many times that the best clothing is the clothing that fits well. However, it seems that when I buy clothing that fits me, it makes me look like a string bean. When I buy baggy clothing, it simply looks like I'm drowning in it.

My two biggest issues are that:

-my arms are quite long compared to my neck size, thus eliminating 98% of shirts you'd find on the shelf.
-my legs are also quite long, so most jeans make them look disproportionately long, when compared to my body.

Are there any other tall and skinny fellows here? How do you mitigate the 'twig' look?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
< 6'7" 220 pounds

get your stuff to a tailor. seriously it does wonders.
if your neck, sleeves and shoulders fit on a shirt you can easily get it taken in by a tailor for $15-$20.

there's a myriad of online tailors out there who will make you a nice custom shirt. I stick to tailorstore and propercloth. if you are new to MTM, hit me up via PM and I can share my experiences.

as for your legs, nothing much you can do, at 6'3" there should be no problem finding a decent pair of chinos or jeans. everything up to 36" inseam is easy to find. I myself wear W34L36 and haven't had any troubles.

Last edited:

downeasta

Reaction score

< 6'7" 220 pounds

as for your legs, nothing much you can do, at 6'3" there should be no problem finding a decent pair of chinos or jeans. everything up to 36" inseam is easy to find. I myself wear W34L36 and haven't had any troubles.

Could you recommend any specific brands or styles to watch for?

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

< 6'7" 220 pounds

if your neck, sleeves and shoulders fit on a shirt you can easily get it taken in by a tailor for $15-$20.

there's a myriad of online tailors out there who will make you a nice custom shirt. I stick to tailorstore and propercloth. if you are new to MTM, hit me up via PM and I can share my experiences.

your shirt looks too tight. you have pulling on all your buttons

downeasta

Reaction score
Also, I'm a college student, if that changes anything.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
6'3 190 isn't that skinny. Depending upon your build, you could be anywhere from skinny-fat, to ripped and lean, to moderately pudgy. Where your body composition falls on that spectrum will say a lot about how to tailor your clothes.

Now, if you've got really long limbs, as you say, you may suffer from being gangly. But that's a whole different can of worms. Skinny does not necessarily = gangly. In fact, it's possible to be potbellied and gangly, and if Jesus hates you, that could very well be your predicament.

Last edited:

downeasta

Reaction score

6'3 190 isn't that skinny. Depending upon your build, you could be anywhere from skinny-fat, to ripped and lean, to moderately pudgy. Where your body composition falls on that spectrum will say a lot about how to tailor your clothes.

Now, if you've got really long limbs, as you say, you may suffer from being gangly. But that's a whole different can of worms. Skinny does not necessarily = gangly. In fact, it's possible to be potbellied and gangly, and if Jesus hates you, that could very well be your predicament.

Thanks, I should have specified.

I'm somewhere between ripped/lean and pudgy. My arms and legs have very little fat on them and are reasonably muscular. My stomach and chest, however, have a bit of excess flab (maybe 3-5lbs total), enough to obscure the bottom of my 6-pack. I am quite physically active, though my problem area (with regards to bulking up) has always been my chest/shoulders.

And yes, I'd definitely consider myself gangly, haha.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks, I should have specified.
I'm somewhere between ripped/lean and pudgy. My arms and legs have very little fat on them and are reasonably muscular. My stomach and chest, however, have a bit of excess flab (maybe 3-5lbs total), enough to obscure the bottom of my 6-pack. I am quite physically active, though my problem area (with regards to bulking up) has always been my chest/shoulders.
And yes, I'd definitely consider myself gangly, haha.

Gotcha.

In that case, avoid skin-tight shirts. They'll make your arms look even ganglier, and your trunk comparatively sausage-like (as the fellow earlier in this thread unwittingly demonstrates). Some amount of fullness in the cut of your shirt isn't a bad thing, so long as you're not swimming in it. Same with the pants. If you're long-legged -- I have the same problem -- avoid high-rise and no-break pants. You'll want a slightly lower rise (though not low enough for your belly to pudge out over the waistband) and a 1/2 to 1 inch trouser break. Jackets should have a very slightly built shoulder, a full but fitted chest, and a fair amount of waist suppression.

Generally speaking, and perhaps counterintuitively, too-tight is a worse enemy to your body type than too-loose, though you'll want to avoid either extreme.

Given what you're saying about your body: consider a more aggressive cardio portion of your workout. And watch your diet. Bulking up isn't your problem right now; you should be cutting. Since you gain weight in your torso more easily than in your limbs (and this is a fairly typical male problem), attempting to bulk up is only going to exacerbate your issues with disproportionate-looking midsection and arms/legs.

Last edited:

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

< 6'7" 220 pounds

Yeah, your shirt is definitely way too small (I said so in the WAYWRN thread, but the third detail picture confirms it).

antipode

Reaction score
I'm following this one with interest. I'm 6'3" and 170. I'm surprised you wear a 41L. I'm a 38L with the sleeves lengthened. Shirts are trouble... Chinos are mostly a touch short for me too.

Jobst

Reaction score
6'3" 150 lbs for me. It's not that fun trying to find shirts with a 14.5" collar and 34" sleeves that fit anywhere near reasonably in the body.

I can second avoiding high rise pants, they make me look like a a pair of legs with an afterthought of a torso on top.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ this is highly dependent on body type. If you're torso/leg proportional then a higher-rise pant looks ok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads