• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tall guys: What height necessitates an extra-long tie?

deputamadre

Reaction score
I'm about 6'6" and generally use XL ties. Whenever I wear normal ties (even with normal windsor knots) they come to about my belly button), maybe 1-2 inches about my belt.
I'm just curious as to where one buys extra-long ties, such as seven-fold or other good quality ties...

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
I recently sold a bunch of Talbott Extra Long Ties from Nordstrom. They were really nice, heavy silk. I don't have any available anymore, but there are still pics up in this thread.

ferry1950

Reaction score
Have you done a search here on the subject?
There have been several discussions on this subject and I provided several sources for where I have bought xl ties in the past.
ghw

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deputamadre
I'm about 6'6" and generally use XL ties. Whenever I wear normal ties (even with normal windsor knots) they come to about my belly button), maybe 1-2 inches about my belt.
I'm just curious as to where one buys extra-long ties, such as seven-fold or other good quality ties...

There's your problem....a normal windsor takes up too much material. You'd probably be better off with a four in hand.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 6'6" it's probably a moot point but it's about how long your torso is.

But I'll tell you, I personally find the options among long ties limiting.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
www.samhober.com will make ties for you in any length and width that you want. I think most of their prices are around $85.00. There is a considerable wait of at least 12 weeks, but the ties are excellant and they are very nice people to do business with.

the law

Reaction score
I'm 6'6" as well. I find that long ties still aren't enough to go to a full windsor. I don't know how much extra length you get with an XL tie, but it might be enough.

I normally tie a FIH or Shelby/Pratt if I want some width.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also 6'6" and have an exceptionally long torso to go with. I don't have the same problem you have though. I think it is just a matter of knot placement. A problem I do have is knot size. I like them big, but that will never work with normal ties. Couldn't you make the wide end a bit longer before tieing your tie?

jagmqt

Reaction score
I'm a couple inches taller than you fellas...I share the same problem. To get the right lenght, you have to have a small knot...to have a large knot, you have to sacrifice length (or deal with an extremely short inside piece that requires the tie bar to be placed way too high).

I make due now with Long and X-Long, but those are usually styled for the 50+ age group...

Once out of law school and once I have an income, I'm going to have them made.

I have found these sites, but have never used them (so I can't vouch for their reputations).

http://www.xlties.com/index.php
http://www.statture.com/

jag

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics