• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tall and slim with big feet and silly questions

Roger Mellie

Reaction score
I've been shopping for a good pair of jeans now for about 2 months but haven't found anything I'm happy with yet. The problem is I'm 6" feet 5' tall, 36 inch inside leg, and slim with size 13.5 feet (size 12 in the UK). I am fashion clueless and have tried on so many pairs of jeans in stores only to get them home and find out they are usually straight leg, and tight at the thigh, or just a plain bad fit.

I got a good price on some Hugo Boss HB2 orange label jeans, but they made me realise that the straight leg really complicates things. They look great from the front and back, but from the side I have duck feet syndrome, and any t-shirt I wear with them can't be too loose or my legs start to look like pins. I'm going to sell them I think.

Does anyone know what fit I should go for? I don't want baggy and prefer jeans that are tighter round the backside. I can't wear straight leg jeans because if I do I will need to buy footwear and t-shirts to compensate for my body type and that will be a nightmare.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's see: baggy is out; straight leg is out; skinny and/or tapered must be out, b/c the duck feet effect would be even worse (I have the same problem)...

That pretty much leaves bootcut.

modual

Reaction score
Nudie Regular Ralf should do the trick. Straight leg with a slight bootcut which will even out your big feet

Roger Mellie

Reaction score
OK, so are bootcut jeans OK with the type of footwear I see recommended in these forums like Adidas etc. In my ignorance I thought that wearing jeans that are bigger round the leg opening while wearing smal sneakers would look silly - am I wrong?

Edited to say: I just missed your post before I replied, Modual. Do you think straight leg might be part of the problem in that they show my thighs as being slim, especially from the side?

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, with size 13.5 feet.. any sneaker you're wearing won't be "small"

Stylez

Reaction score
KMWJune21.jpg

I have size 13 feet can you tell??

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about Rescues? The inseam should be long enough and they should balance out big feet.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'3 with a 11.5/12 US shoe, being 6'5 with a size 13 seems normal to me. My roommate is about 6'5 and has a size 13 and it doesn't look abnormal.

If you wear chunky shoes/boots (like skateboarding sneakers for example) then you'll want to lean more towards a Reg Ralph style (just as anyone would - chunky sneakers and tapered/skinny legs don't work IMHO)

if you like slimmer shoes like a nice pair of chukkas or converse/vans, you shouldn't have a problem pulling off a skinnier pair of pants. if you are really nervous maybe get a high-top shoe so that the pants go over them and it helps give a streamlined effect (?)

Stylez

Reaction score
Exactly, In the above pic, i'm only 5'10, and I have size 13. I hardly get any negative critism on how big my feet are.

Roger Mellie

Reaction score
OK thanks for the jean recommendations. I am checking them all out, although the advice on the type of fit will be most important.

In response to the last 2 replies. There is something about being taller and slimmer that seems to have its own issues: lanky, or whatever I would be called. People kind of expect you to be broader as you are taller and if not then it just don't look right.

Anyway, I hope people don't mind me posting these photos of my Hugo Boss HB2 jeans. I love them from the front and back, but from the side they are just so straight, and the last photo shows my problem with loose t-shirts. Maybe it's my posture, but I have no chest and the straight jeans just make it look worse.

hugo4pu2.jpg

Yep, I like the view from the front. Although these trainers I am not sure about.

http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hugo2dp2.jpg

The same from the side showing the straight leg. Not so bad with this t-shirt because it is close to my back.

http://img485.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hugo3kk2.jpg

And just to exaggerate the point: loose t-shirt showing my lack of a chest and boots. Anyway, for some reason I find it looks worse the further I stand from the mirror. I am not sure what that is about. I suppose the straight legs look even slimmer from a distance when looking from the side.

topik

Reaction score
I would definitely suggest looking at brands like AA for t-shirts. They're cut long and slim and you can shrink them to the size you want. As far as jeans go I'd also suggest looking at some fuller cut jeans like KMW 1950 or 2010 depending on how you like your fit.

This is coming from another lanky guy
wink.gif
6'2 40" chest and 30" waist.

Roger Mellie

Reaction score
OK, thanks guys. I just spent a while Googling those t-shirts. I'm so used to avoiding short sleeves so I can hide my slim upper arms, but I suppose if I don't change the way I think I'll be a fashion victim forever.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a wider bottom will minimize the appearance of your shoe size.
but then ladies have a saying about the size of a mans feet when they check you out.

modual

Reaction score
Looking at the last pic from the side does make you look quite leggy. I would say again that reg ralfs should work as they seem to suit most body types. Wearing them low on the hips will make your legs a bit shorter and the small bootcut will even out your big feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads