• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My plan with kids is reasonable but adding a spouse blows things out of the water.

I think it is the other way around for me. A full family is a decent deal, but just a partner kind of sucks.

I mean, adding her was pretty cheap, but the the deductible and out of pocket max simply double when converting to anything involving multiple people.

That's an OK deal for a family of 4...but a 2x dedutible for 2 people is strictly worse than separate individual deductibles. She's probably going to end up spending more than my old individual deductible, but less than our combined deductible while I'm going to go to my one primary care visit and that's it (at least I hope!)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've learned from personal experience, Americans love to take every last breath no matter the cost or quality of that breath.

I think this is changing and changing quicker in the better educated, more affluent members of society. I have no data on the demographics and it is just my impression based on more than two decades of experience. The growth of hospice, palliative care, and less heroic end of life measures overall is hard data though. Around 50% of Medicare beneficiaries now die on hospice but enrollment is often far too late in the process.

This is another thing the US has to realize it's not the rest of the world that's crazy. Cue Palin shouting, "DEATH PANELS!"

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Morgan Stanley showing why it gets paid the big bucks.
Nice little $490 target spread..

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is changing and changing quicker in the better educated, more affluent members of society. I have no data on the demographics and it is just my impression based on more than two decades of experience. The growth of hospice, palliative care, and less heroic end of life measures overall is hard data though. Around 50% of Medicare beneficiaries now die on hospice but enrollment is often far too late in the process.

This is another thing the US has to realize it's not the rest of the world that's crazy. Cue Palin shouting, "DEATH PANELS!"

Didn't know if saying death panels was too political...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think it's more stupidity, but given US politics, I guess point taken.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I'm up almost 30%.

My friend was telling me about a friend of his who hired a "money manager" to manage her $3000 retirement fund. She doesn't know what his fees are or if he is a fiduciary. He also had her roll her 401k into a Roth IRA and told her she won't have to pay taxes.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Too much work to figure it out this year given the recent events but congrats to you guys on some pretty nice returns this year.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My friend was telling me about a friend of his who hired a "money manager" to manage her $3000 retirement fund. She doesn't know what his fees are or if he is a fiduciary. He also had her roll her 401k into a Roth IRA and told her she won't have to pay taxes.
Gotta get that hedge fund 2 and 20 on your $3k nest egg man.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm up almost 30%.

Did she also buy an annuity?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Logged into the accounts to see if I could get an idea of YTD returns. Looks like in the 26-28% for the accounts that were not impacted from my change in employers. Damn, another five years of that and I will parachute out!

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's not count our chickens etc. If the tariff hikes go into effect on Dec. 15 and it's clear there will be not Phase 1 trade deal by YE, those twenties are probably going back into the teens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads